GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

bi-xenon bulbs upgrade

16AutobahnGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Honestly, I started with the deAutoKey bulbs and wasn’t satisfied. They were too blue in my opinion, and the high beam was relatively useless because the set I had weren’t any brighter than OEM. I had to switch to CBI bulbs because I didn’t get any benefit, especially in wet roads at night. Installed CBI bulbs and am in love. They’re brighter than OEM, down road visibility is wonderful. High beam is very bright and you can see quite a distance on dark roads. Just some advice from someone who did this same thing a few months :)

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Honestly, I started with the deAutoKey bulbs and wasn’t satisfied. They were too blue in my opinion, and the high beam was relatively useless because the set I had weren’t any brighter than OEM. I had to switch to CBI bulbs because I didn’t get any benefit, especially in wet roads at night. Installed CBI bulbs and am in love. They’re brighter than OEM, down road visibility is wonderful. High beam is very bright and you can see quite a distance on dark roads. Just some advice from someone who did this same thing a few months :)

Useful and appreciated info. Thx!

I hadn’t considered the Deautokey D3S bulbs, only looking at the Osrams. Good to know that you’re very happy with them.

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
You do that to re-align the LP headlights after dropping the car, or in this case replacing the xenon bulbs (not sure if you need to, but for some reason mine became lower and it fixed it).

No problem. Always liked your products and customer service.

We appreciate it - thank you

Sorry to hear about your experience, this is not the typical feedback we receive but heard of the issue in a higher color temperature we offered awhile ago but quickly replaced it if anyone felt it was not 100% to their liking, but we do feel everyone sees light color differently, The CBI is naturally 4300k, even when the CBI "break-in" they are still 4500/4800k yellow color as we placed our HID next to CBI that were installed for a year and they were yellowish.

We have not seen a difference in the light distribution down the road of our D3S vs OEM and many have said ours were brighter/whiter but we never make the claim of being brighter due to everyone seeing light differently but we feel they will provide a lot of safe light evenly distributed on the road while being a cleaner white color temp.

The photos above is OEM next to ours but ours are simply more white - below are the same photos from above, but this time we also included the customers unedited review - we feel you might've had the black box version which was a bit of a higher color temperature, many liked it but after a few feedback of it being too high in color temp like what you described we switched it up a bit and so far it has been a lot better than the other version, we feel that maybe had the 'black box model' vs the new ones we offer currently:

I got the deautokey 5500k and they are whiter and appear brighter than the oem ones I pulled out.

These are the ones that come in an orange box, I had a set from them that came in a black box and they were too blue for me, they replaced them with these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you feel OEM is providing enough light but you want something that is actually a true 5300k-5500k clean white our model is the better choice vs CBI. From our testing and feedback many have said ours appeared brighter than OEM.

Don't get us wrong - CBI is not a bad brand or product but we only feel they are much more yellowish in color due to a lot of people contacting us wanting something more white after installing CBI and everyone that has switched have so far told us the visibility is similar/same and would not go back to the yellow color temp of the CBI.

Please note that we don't deny your feedback but only sharing our personal experience and other feedback.

Last edited:

16AutobahnGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Useful and appreciated info. Thx!

I hadn’t considered the Deautokey D3S bulbs, only looking at the Osrams. Good to know that you’re very happy with them.

No problem! Just my personal experience. The CBI bulbs I got were the newer rendition of them. There were 2. One box said 5500k, the other 6000k. The one with 5500k was a tad more yellow, but any CBIs you buy today are the marketed 6000k box. In reality, they’re not 6000k, however, they are the whitest and overall best performers out there for an OEM quality. No blue tint, and no yellow tint, just a crisp diamond white. Plus, since your car runs a different Osram bulb, the ballasts and drivers are guaranteed to be plug and play. OEM to OEM spec change, however you’re getting brighter, whiter and honestly the visibility is a lot improved. Yes the fog will still be more bluish since they’re 6000-6500k range, but they’re fantastic bulbs. And my “break in period” they talk about was relatively short. Couple hours and they’re beautifully white and bright on the road.

DeAutoKey makes great products, and I have several in my car, but I was not impressed by what seemed like a bit of loss of brightness down the road, and especially on high beams, I almost couldn’t see anything down the road. The build quality was ok, but the box and everything was kinda cheap packaging for something that costs $125 almost.

I haven’t tried the supposedly “new” version they came out with, but the CBI are amazing for the price, even at just a tad more over some others out there. Again, my personal opinion and experience but to each their own choice.

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
DeAutoKey makes great products, and I have several in my car, but I was not impressed by what seemed like a bit of loss of brightness down the road, and especially on high beams, I almost couldn’t see anything down the road.

We apologize again for this experience, when was the purchase made, we sent a PM for more info. We feel you could have had an older version or one that was higher in color temperature than our current model as the feedback is something we never heard and contradicts photos and feedback on this product.

We do not mind if you like the CBI better, but the feedback being provided is very different than the photos of the most recent setup - both Matthewpt & formgen feedback is more on track with what you will actually receive with our current D3S model.

The build quality was ok, but the box and everything was kinda cheap packaging for something that costs $125 almost.

CBI is using very thin cardboard with some print on it - we used a thick cardboard with foam and switched to a thicker clean white box to better represent the clean white color temp of the bulb.

Here is feedback on packaging:

The packaging on DeAuto compared to the Morimotos is a little better they seem more safely packed as it has foam encasing the bulbs to protect it during shipping. The Morimotos came in a thin cardboard box with no encasing of the bulbs
Bonus

At the end we think it comes down to preference, we are selling a D3S that is as bright or brighter, we don't make the claims as we know people see light differently but when people purchase this we know they will be happy.

Here is some feedback from another forum member with our D3S 5500K vs Morimoto - he contacted us directly after not being happy with his morimoto setup, he said he would leave feedback IF he liked the product, so we did offer him a small discount for his time in making a comparison but it was nothing more than regular sale pricing since no sales were going on at the time. We just like to make mention of this because we don't lie if we personally agreed/knew about a review ahead of time. But at the end it was based on him actually liking the product, not simply because there was a discount involved.

I am very sorry I do not have a good picture of the Morimotos my phone into the toliet and lost all my data i'm an idiot for not backing up my pictures learned my lesson the hard way so I looked on google and tried to find the picture which closely represented the Morimotos 6500k bulbs and I couldn't justify taking putting the morimotos back in. I'm sure we all know that replacing the headlight bulbs on the MK7 with the lighting package is a nightmare, you need lift the car up to take off the bumper and grill just to access the bolts that hold it in.
So on with the review just a couple weeks ago I posted about not being able to see the lines at night when it was raining and was contacted by DeAutoLed to try their 5500k HID's so they sent me out a set of bulbs at a discounted rate to compare the two.

Morimotos that I found online that closely represented what they looked like at night.

Morimoto 6500k

DeAutoLed 5500k

As you can see the 5500k have more of a pure white in color and it definitely brighter than the Morimotos just driving around on the back roads.

So all in all I am very happy with these bulbs. If a blueish color is what you're looking for then go with the Morimoto's but if you're looking for more visibility and a nice pure white color then DeAutoLed is the way to go.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
CBI are packaged individually or in pairs. I wouldn’t call this thin/flimsy cardboard.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
I realize that. And I’m sure the bulbs aren’t bouncing around inside the cardboard outer packaging.

Better for the environment too!

16AutobahnGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
I realize that. And I’m sure the bulbs aren’t bouncing around inside the cardboard outer packaging.

Better for the environment too!

Indeed, mine were in that hard plastic case when I bought my CBIs. Sturdy and no risk of damage. The packaging of the sets of the deAutoKey ones were odd. One was a cardboard box with foam with a clear film on top that could allow dirt into the box because it wasn’t sealed. The second pair I got was completely different in a thin orange box with a molded plastic tray with two bulbs placed in it. Felt extremely aftermarket and flimsy for a $125 product. Made me concerned too because the two bulbs had different build quality it looked like and was just odd to me.

You grab a CBI box and definitely met with a quality bulb, packaging and the reputation because CBIs have been talked about for years on these forums as to being a best performer for the price range.

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
Ok, CBI normally came in cardboard boxes, if they changed packaging that is fine, we are sure the bigger plastic is really better for the environment vs cardboard
but feel the subject of packing has been addressed fully now.

CBI were $125 for 1 bulb ($250 for the pair) just a few years ago, now they are $160 for the pair. In our opinion the price drop was due to competition, we noticed a direct correlation with better aftermarket bulbs and happy customers with a drastic price drop for the CBI models.

Again, it is no problem if you feel the CBI were better, we are not denying your feedback, if all feedback was 100% something would be up. We feel everyone sees light differently and can see bad/good reviews for any products due to this reason.

But we are honestly saying that it was the first time we ever heard your feedback and many people that owned our product didn't see the same thing as the photo that was shared in the first review that was posted.

Original honest review - we never asked for the review and helped when you emailed us about not being 100% happy with the bulbs, we again don't mind your honest review:

DeAutoKey 5500k HID Review

I was in the market for a set of HID bulbs that were more white with a blue hint than the stock ones. The stock ones were okay but something else out there could have proved better.

Went ahead and purchased the deAutoKey 5500k D3S bulbs for my GTI with LP, and was impressed by the initial build quality of the bulbs. All metal enclose, got a slight bit of weight to them, looks and feels solid. Installation with removing the bumper was needed because of the tight spacing, but don’t fear this, it’s very straightforward and many guides showing you this procedure.

The original bulbs were bright with a yellow white hue to them. Visibility down the road was good, and also side to side was decent. Overall the bulbs were decent, but didn’t match the color of the DRLs nor the LED fog lights that came equipped on my particular model.

After installing the newer bulbs from deAutoKey, these will cost you around $125 for a set, they instantly proved satisfactory to my taste. The hue bumped up to a pure white with a blue tint. This image also very closely resembles what LED output in headlights look. Brightness is about equal, but because of the change of color you’ll have to get used to the different color. But brightness and down the road visibility is almost identical, despite the advertisement saying 30% brighter than stock. These new bulbs also match the LED fog lights almost perfectly. True 5500-6000k output on these bulbs. There is a slight warm up time with all HID bulbs, and these are no exception to that rule, except it’s minimal, maybe below 10 seconds are they’re ready. Whether they’ll become warmer as they get warn in, who knows, but the manufacturer claims they won’t change temperature.

These bulbs do include a lifetime warranty with deAutoKey so if anything happens you’re covered. The photos I took are on the garage wall which is solid white and few on the road so you can see a comparison of the temperature. Big time difference between them.

If you’re in the market for a set of HIDs that won’t break the bank and give you a more LED-ish appearance, these are the ticket!

Last edited:

nype

Drag Racing Champion
We is unsubscribing...

Thx for the info guys

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
We sponsor the forum and post for our customers - we want to bring only the best LEDs to market for your VW and what people will enjoy and be confident with installing in their VW or we wouldn't be here.

The D3S is our fastest selling product since launching our site and have been out of stock and the reason why we have not been posting as we wanted to catch up with our back orders first.

THE D3S ARE BACK IN STOCK AND READY TO SHIP:
http://deautokey.com/product/new-d1...te-no-errors-fits-many-volkswagen-audi-models

Choose d3s on the drop down menu.

Recent feedback from our D3S have been great:

Some other products that are popular and work in your new GTI:

New updated front turn signals for the xenon - works better in the new housings:
http://deautokey.com/product/new-br...-signals-for-the-volkswagen-2015-mk7-golf-gti

License plates that work with the auto-headlight feature in the Mk7 without any errors:
http://deautokey.com/product/mkvii-gti-license-plate-leds-error-free-plug-play