GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Undecided on which tune makes sense for me

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Why is that? UM seems to be the cream of the crop. Very aggressive though.

It all depends what you're looking for. If you want to just flash it and forget it, there are a lot of good options, but none of them will really optimize the tune to your exact vehicle and your personal preferences.

With ED and Cobb being so versatile, customizable, and priced so close to the one-size-fits-all offerings from many other tuners i just don't see much reason to buy a generic tune. They're as mild or wild as you want.

ED has end user tuning/flashing, e-tuner options, and the ability to modify all of the important parameters. Support for MPI if you ever go big turbo, DSG tuning, etc. All the critical stuff is there and it's all customizable, and offers infinite headroom with little to no additional cost.

Cobb has a simple and convenient handheld which flashes in about 2 minutes, good logging capabilities, OTS tunes to mess with, a variety of e-tune/protuner options, awesome ignition based traction control (for us FWD guys), excellent resale value, etc.

Both of those options require more involvement to really be worthwhile. They can be set it and forget it, but the real benefit comes from the additional capabilities they offer.

Luchos

Go Kart Champion
Did UM write the TCU software, or take the software that was coded by a company, like Continental or Bosch, and hack it then sell it?

That's a bit of a silly question. Obviously they changed the factory software to suit their needs, same way an ecu tune is done. A flashed ecu doesn't even change all of the stock software, only the parameters they need to "tune" your car.

dwvw

Go Kart Newbie
I blew up an IS38 off a 2016 R.

marauder

Go Kart Newbie
the IS38s aren't much better than the is20s in terms of reliability. That is where your tune is important. Some tunes are very aggressive down low, which forces the turbo to spool up extremely quickly and adds strain to them. These turbos usually break on the shaft, most likely from stress. Being able to monitor that and adjust your tune accordingly can help prevent failure.

Luchos

Go Kart Champion
the IS38s aren't much better than the is20s in terms of reliability. That is where your tune is important. Some tunes are very aggressive down low, which forces the turbo to spool up extremely quickly and adds strain to them. These turbos usually break on the shaft, most likely from stress. Being able to monitor that and adjust your tune accordingly can help prevent failure.

The latest revision in the 2017 models don't seem as problematic as the 2016

mc55

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm Unitronic stage 2 ECU and TCU. I've had no problems thus far, and the change in performance is pretty substantial. Granted, I've only had my Golf R for 3 weeks, but I own and have owned quite a few high performance cars. The launch control is significantly improved, and that is where I noticed the tunes the most.

I'm sure most of the tunes out there are fairly comparable, I'm happy with my Unitronic. You get the cable and you can flash it back to stock whenever. Works for me :).

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI
That's a bit of a silly question. Obviously they changed the factory software to suit their needs, same way an ecu tune is done. A flashed ecu doesn't even change all of the stock software, only the parameters they need to "tune" your car.

It was a rhetorical question. I find it silly to say APR stole UM's code when both 'tuners' are taking some other company's software code (i.e. OEM supplier Continental or Bosch) and altering it to then sell for their own profit.

Luchos

Go Kart Champion
It was a rhetorical question. I find it silly to say APR stole UM's code when both 'tuners' are taking some other company's software code (i.e. OEM supplier Continental or Bosch) and altering it to then sell for their own profit.

It doesn't change the fact they did and that's why they have not publicly denied it either. Every tuner out there needs to crack the factory ECU, it's pretty shady business copying someone else's hard work. UM is the one that figured out how to increase clamping pressure of the clutches, APR said it was impossible and then all of a sudden they're doing it. But then again what else do you expect from a company like APR.

lostru

Ready to race!
I'm 21K into owning the Unitronc 1+. Power is there at any time and feels more linear and buit for day-to-day than Eurodyne. I have the cable so when traveling outside of 93 octane I drop it down or return to stock when needed. It is more conservative than others out there but I am not chasing drag numbers. I figure it being a little lighter then the wear and tear would be less.

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI
It doesn't change the fact they did and that's why they have not publicly denied it either. Every tuner out there needs to crack the factory ECU, it's pretty shady business copying someone else's hard work. UM is the one that figured out how to increase clamping pressure of the clutches, APR said it was impossible and then all of a sudden they're doing it. But then again what else do you expect from a company like APR.

I never said they didn't. Every tuner steals the work done by the OEM's supplier if they resell it. So UM took someone's work and then APR took from UM, painting APR as the bad guys seems like the silly part, UM is just as "guilty" of profiting from others hard work as APR is.

GolfR17

Passed Driver's Ed
Jb4 is the shit

I really wonder if I should just get JB4 until I’m rays to go with a full flash. I haven’t heard of any issues with JB4. Hmm

I love the jb4. Just as fast as stage 2. May not have the low end power as a flash but up top it’s right there with any of them. With the right setup with George ur pushing mid-high 11s all day. Plus don’t have to worry about warranty which is a huge plus. Way way cheaper then a flash and basically same result.