GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sach's clutch questions

just real quick, because I am looking at getting one and want to go pick it up next week

1. can you use the oem flywheel without resurfacing, especially if there is only less than 12000 miles on it?

2. has anyone used this clutch with an is38??

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Reusing you DMFW varies by car, but with 12k you're "probably" OK but it's a case by case basis and you won't know until it's off.

I don't know anyone off the top of my head anyone running it on an IS38. Max torque doesn't change much between the two turbos so I have no double it'll be more than enough. You're using the SRE and not the stock replacement with auto adjusting pressure plate, right?

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Ok ya that's the one you want, it's the SRE one :)

bayarea7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'15 RSM 2 door S 6M
Im at 1000 miles with my SRE "street" clutch with no issues so far. I reused my unresurfaced stock dmfw that had about 20k miles on it. But again, its all about driving habits at the end of the day .

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
Why Sachs over RSR? RSR seems like a better system that holds better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Didn't resurface my DMFW at I think it was around 19K when I did the TTRS clutch, holding strong, but yes It depends on the condition of it when everything is taken apart.

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Some of the clutch manufacturers now recommend you replace the DMF regardless of mileage. If anything with the DMF isn't 100%, it is going to effect the wear of the new clutch.

Have to remember, these are not simple slabs of metal. The DMF has a complicated internal assembly, which you can't see the wear of from the outside. (you can guess by playing with it) It's also difficult to resurface them, and many shops will not attempt it due to liability issues.

As always I'm the poo poo of the forum saying everything will explode and kill kittens.

As mentioned though, many reuse it, or have it "resurfaced" and are fine. At least with the overall lower average mileage of most aftermarket clutch users.

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
I don't know anyone off the top of my head anyone running it on an IS38. Max torque doesn't change much between the two turbos so I have no double it'll be more than enough. You're using the SRE and not the stock replacement with auto adjusting pressure plate, right?

To your point, I would think the IS38 *might* even be more clutch friendly since it does not put out nearly as much torque in the lower RPMs as the IS20.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Good point SugarMouth.

Also this is the guy who has the BFI clutch issue. His DMF is not even in his car so he can easily take it to the shop and have them inspect it to get an answer now on the condition of his flywheel.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
Why Sachs over RSR? RSR seems like a better system that holds better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no actual proof of that. Both kits are good, both will hold power just fine.

OP, you won't know if you can reuse the flywheel until you tear everything apart. I reused my stock flywheel at nearly 11k miles, but it also depends how you drive. One thing to note, you may experience some slight clutch shudder because you cannot resurface a DMF flywheel, so not being resurfaced, it may take some time to wear in. I have an SRE kit, had some slight shudder at very low RPM's, it has significantly reduced at 1400 miles on the clutch.

gameaud

Ready to race!
Do you guys recommend getting the throwout bearing for the extra 100$ upgrade? or is there a cheaper place to get it.

Also, from my research the RSR and SRE are similar prices if you add the the flywheel. SRE a lot cheaper if you don't add the Flywheel.

For example RSR clutch kit with DMFW at NGP $1400

Sachs $799 + $520 DMFW comes out to about 1320.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
There has been some debate about the throw out bearing and getting the "upgraded" version. I believe the TTRS uses an all metal bearing/cylinder, but HSTuning and others have sent customers the plastic GTI ones with there kits after customers received the kits. The issue was the two piece construction of the feed tube, the o-ring on the L shaped piece would leak. However, that has since been corrected and no issues have been known since then (roughly early 12'-14' GTI's). The MK7 factory TOB has a plastic ring on the bearing contact surface and the MK6 bearing, does not have this but everything else is the same. You can use either one, one is just cheaper than another. I have the Mk6 style bearing without any issues, its about $30 on rockauto.

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
Do you guys recommend getting the throwout bearing for the extra 100$ upgrade? or is there a cheaper place to get it.

Also, from my research the RSR and SRE are similar prices if you add the the flywheel. SRE a lot cheaper if you don't add the Flywheel.

For example RSR clutch kit with DMFW at NGP $1400

Sachs $799 + $520 DMFW comes out to about 1320.
You can get the Sachs SRE Clutch for cheaper from Emmanuele Design or Excelerate Performance

Edit: without the TO bearing. It is $799 with the TO