GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Third oil change analysis

Universal_Remonster

Ready to race!
Seems an odd question, some look at numbers and assume more means better ;)
5W30 vs 5w40 at running temperature, the 5w40 will be more viscous hence adding load to the engine reducing performance and increasing fuel consumption.

You don't really know much about lubrication in a DI engine, do you?

LewBob

fuel in oil

I think it means 3.4% of the oil is fuel. An expected number would be less than 0.5%.

Hi folks, Newbie here enjoying reading the threads. I have used synthetic oil since the 70's and thought it was good for at least 10,000 miles though I never went that long. I am curious how the fuel gets in the oil. Does the stage 1 mod give a richer mixture? There was little fuel in the oil at the first change. Was this before the mod?

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I'm sure it varies by car, and by how the car was driven in its first 1k miles (break-in period). There are 3 different camps on engine break-in: 1) do what the manual says, which is baby it, 2) do the opposite of what the manual says, and floor it every single opportunity you get, and 3) drive normally, consistently varying revs between 2 and 4K RPMs.

I'm of the 2nd camp. Haven't had any oil consumption in my car. So I guess depending on how well seated the piston rings are, you'll get more or less fuel in the oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
LewBob,

These cars use direct injection, which sprays the fuel directly into the cylinder (as opposed to firing in the intake port in the heads). This tends to cause a bit higher fuel dilution. (happens in the speed3's as well).

drrck

Go Kart Champion
Gentlemen, I present to you my first oil analysis. Factory fill, two track days tuned with Eurodyne Stage 1. My eye tells me that for my car and driving style 7,500-10K may be possible even when tuned. Your thoughts?

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
drrck,
It's hard to get an idea of what OCI you can use when you only have one data point, and it's the very first oil change. You might have to do one more to get a general idea, though two would be recommended.

If you are tracking, I'd probably stick to 5k intervals personally. It's cheap insurance. How'd the brakes hold up on the track? What pads are you using?

drrck

Go Kart Champion
drrck,
It's hard to get an idea of what OCI you can use when you only have one data point, and it's the very first oil change. You might have to do one more to get a general idea, though two would be recommended.

If you are tracking, I'd probably stick to 5k intervals personally. It's cheap insurance. How'd the brakes hold up on the track? What pads are you using?

I've got the PP, so OEM big brakes. They have held up really well, they stop hard and predictably. Pad wear is pretty average I'd say, I think I'll get another 3 events out of this set for sure. If I change from the OE pads I'll probably move to EBC Yellows as some of the euro contingent have had success with them.

Since I did a sample rather than a full drop I'll probably run this oil till spring and then change it out before the next season. Should put me around 6500-7000 by spring which I think should be okay given I'm on snows now and have no possibility of "spirited driving" between now and then :)

If I get bored mid-winter I might change it early but it looks like there is plenty of additive left.

enkil

Ready to race!
Nice info.. when i visit the track my oil change is half the interval at 7500km. VW recommended interval here is 15000km or 10k miles.

drrck

Go Kart Champion
Third analysis. Three track days and 1 year of DD.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
Nice report, man. Thanks for posting. 7.5k to 10k looks like a good OCI for your engine. Just watch the shearing. These engines do look to be shearing the oil a bit as the OCI approaches 7.5k miles or so.

Here was my last report (mods JB1 + downpipe). I will be running this current fill to an 8,750 mi OCI:

drrck

Go Kart Champion
Yeah I wasn't sure at first what oil the dealers are using but it appears to be 5-30 not 5-40 which explains my viscosity results. At 5-30 my range should be 54-63 which makes it look a bit more believable given the TBN remaining.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
Yeah I wasn't sure at first what oil the dealers are using but it appears to be 5-30 not 5-40 which explains my viscosity results. At 5-30 my range should be 54-63 which makes it look a bit more believable given the TBN remaining.

That may very well be the case, since your first report was out of grade (for 40 weight) at under 5K miles. But again, your wear numbers are just fine. I'd still move to a 5w40 oil though.

drrck

Go Kart Champion
That may very well be the case, since your first report was out of grade (for 40 weight) at under 5K miles. But again, your wear numbers are just fine. I'd still move to a 5w40 oil though.

Once I have to pay for the oil changes I'll be moving to 5w40 for sure. I have such low mileage that I only do annual oil changes and I got a sweet deal on the first 3 years.

drrck

Go Kart Champion
4th Oil Analysis, still looking good. Next time will be 5-40 as I'm out of free oil changes!