GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

curious real HP

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Really? So you're saying horsepower is not merely a calculated derivative from torque?

On a dynojet, horsepower is measured and torque is calculated.

Still not sure where you're going with this.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
On a dynojet, horsepower is measured and torque is calculated.

Still not sure where you're going with this.

Same is true on a mustang dyno. In fact, when the software spazzes out, sometimes you get a HP curve with no torque values.

I think it's one of those "common internet knowledge" things that everyone gets wrong that you can't measure horsepower because it's an abstract concept. But in reality, it's easy to measure. Torque and horsepower are mathmatically linked, if you have either and the engine speed, you have both.

GTI210

Ready to race!
Someone tell me how you measure horsepower.

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
Really? So you're saying horsepower is not merely a calculated derivative from torque?

Horsepower is the rate of work, acceleration of a mass at a speed really. The derivative of that will be jerk/surge or the rate of change for acceleration.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I'd ask why Navy ships use a hydraulic motor powered by an electric motor to drive the winches that transfer goods from one ship to another instead of just an electric motor with a gearbox, but I don't think anyone else spent time on ships.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
The winner! HP cannot be directly measured, only torque can. HP is calculated from torque. I did like the pulling against a horse answers.

I was waiting for someone to throw the incorrect internet answer out...

You can measure HP, it's not black magic, it's a rate of work. You can calculate it from torque OR you can measure it directly by recording actual energy output from a generator (watts) while the car spins it or calculate it from drum speed (without knowing the torque).

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I'd ask why Navy ships use a hydraulic motor powered by an electric motor to drive the winches that transfer goods from one ship to another instead of just an electric motor with a gearbox, but I don't think anyone else spent time on ships.
relief (absorption) of shock loads and inertia.

ex-squid

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
relief (absorption) of shock loads and inertia.

ex-squid

I know the strain on the cables are carefully monitored, I was just referring to, using they changed, why they just don't use an electric motor. They use a variable swash plate radial hydraulic pump (motor, like our air conditioning compressor) driven by an electric motor so they can maintain similar torque throughout the RPM range. Must have been one the worst jobs operating them when the water was rough.

As you know, electric motors develop their maximum torque at the instant of starting, and varying the swash plate lets the electric motor run at a constant speed and torque while letting the hydraulic motor control the RRM . I hated to work on them. Oil and me don't mix.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I was waiting for someone to throw the incorrect internet answer out...

You can measure HP, it's not black magic, it's a rate of work. You can calculate it from torque OR you can measure it directly by recording actual energy output from a generator (watts) while the car spins it or calculate it from drum speed (without knowing the torque).

HP is derived from torque if you use a dynometer:

How Does The Dyno Work?
Although due to the miracles of technology it only takes milliseconds for the computer to calculate your horsepower and torque it is not as simple as it may look. It is all just basic laws of physics applied with one another to calculate the measurements. This is a very basic explanation of what goes on inside the computer when you are making a dyno pull, there are a few more details but these are the main points. Lets get started...

First The Computer Must Calculate The Force Force = Mass x Acceleration
"The force required to accelerate an object is proportional to the mass of the object and the acceleration given it."
NEWTON'S SECOND LAW OF MOTION
The torque is the rotational Force the computer is calculating here. The first variable, Mass, is the rotational mass of the two 2700 lb. drums. This is programmed in the computer by Dynojet and due to fact that it is a inertia-type dyno it is a standard variable that can not be changed. The second variable is the acceleration, this is simply how fast you turn over the drums. Just multiply the two together and you have the Force.

Second The Computer Has To Calculate The Work Work = Force x Distance
It is very easy to now find the Work. The computer simply takes the force is has just calculated and multiplies it be the distance you have gone. The distance is nothing more than the circumference of the drum multiplied by how many times it has rotated.

Third The Computer Can Calculate The Power

Power = Work / Time
Now the computer takes that Work and divides it by the time taken and you then have your Power or Horsepower as we call it.

Last edited:

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
With dp, ebay IC, intake mods on stock boost 245/290 whp dynojet.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
HP is derived from torque if you use a dynometer:

How Does The Dyno Work?
Although due to the miracles of technology it only takes milliseconds for the computer to calculate your horsepower and torque it is not as simple as it may look. It is all just basic laws of physics applied with one another to calculate the measurements. This is a very basic explanation of what goes on inside the computer when you are making a dyno pull, there are a few more details but these are the main points. Lets get started...

First The Computer Must Calculate The Force Force = Mass x Acceleration
"The force required to accelerate an object is proportional to the mass of the object and the acceleration given it."
NEWTON'S SECOND LAW OF MOTION
The torque is the rotational Force the computer is calculating here. The first variable, Mass, is the rotational mass of the two 2700 lb. drums. This is programmed in the computer by Dynojet and due to fact that it is a inertia-type dyno it is a standard variable that can not be changed. The second variable is the acceleration, this is simply how fast you turn over the drums. Just multiply the two together and you have the Force.

Second The Computer Has To Calculate The Work Work = Force x Distance
It is very easy to now find the Work. The computer simply takes the force is has just calculated and multiplies it be the distance you have gone. The distance is nothing more than the circumference of the drum multiplied by how many times it has rotated.

Third The Computer Can Calculate The Power

Power = Work / Time
Now the computer takes that Work and divides it by the time taken and you then have your Power or Horsepower as we call it.

Im not going to bother reading the Google results you just posted. A dyno measures horsepower.

If you do a dyno pull without a tach signal you get horsepower (work / time).

Add the tach signal and you can then calculate torque.