GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Gas cap loosens too easily

YYZ

Passed Driver's Ed
I was wondering if it's normal for the fuel cap to unscrew itself fairly easily. I always open the fuel door and wash inside during a car wash. When my wash mitt comes in contact with the plastic tether piece, it unscrews itself. I'm concerned that I've gotten water in there another time when I didn't notice it was loose until after I had rinsed my car. Not only that, the fuel door mechanism sticks. I guess this is common, though.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I can't speak for 2018's or your car but mine takes some effort to unscrew.

The door shouldn't stick. Are you taking about the hinge or the spring-loaded button? Regardless, take it to a dealer and get everything looked at. Neither tends to get better with age.

I'll guess the caps haven't changed. Mine says right on it to tighten until you hear one click. If you are, I'm surprised your dash light doesn't come on.

Others have occasionally omplained about the door mechanisms sticking. My 2002 MK4's door was sticky and needed aligning. Some things never change when it comes to plastic parts.

Last edited:

adam1991

Banned
From the owner's manual:

Closing the fuel filler cap
Screw the fuel cap clockwise onto the fuel filler neck until you hear it click into place.
Close the fuel filler flap until you hear it latch shut. The fuel filler flap must be flush with the vehicle body.

YYZ

Passed Driver's Ed
I definitely turn it until it clicks and there is no check engine light on, so I assume it's properly sealed.

I don't know if it's the door spring mechanism or not. When the door is open, I push on the spring mechanism and it seems to work properly. However, when I shut the door after pumping gas or try to open it, there's resistance. A couple of times after I've pumped gas and closed the door, I find it open on its own a short time later. Also, when I need to open it, it takes time. There's a delayed reaction.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to take it to the dealer soon for little things like this, including the annoying squeaky driver seat and strange Soundaktor noise.