GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Solution to Heeltoe Woes

ashiun

Ready to race!
So, Ive always had an issue with the MK7 pedal layout, I was unable to heeltoe with it and it appears that seems to be the case for many of us. We’ve all been searching for an answer and I’ve kept a close eye on a lot of different options including:

1) Self-fabbed sheets of metal for a wider pedal, but this looks way too ugly (sorry guys).
2) Rennline pedal replacements/covers, but this was too expensive at $200USD or something ridiculous like that
3) Razo pedal cover RP81/RP82. I actually bought this and tried it, hated it, tried it 3 more times in different configurations, hated it all, removed it the night I installed it. This pedal cover has too many sharp edges that caught in all sorts of ridges in the bottom of my shoes, and the pedal surface just didn’t feel nice. It’s also an ugly solution for the times you DO see your pedals, if that sort of thing bugs you.
4) Tried fitting an OEM brake pedal (which is wider) to the gas pedal, but that didn’t work out either because it extends itself to the opposite direction.

So I realized I’d love a pedal with the nice shape and curvature of the OEM pedal, just raised a bit. Some local guys running WCT made this pedal spacer that quite literally is formed to fit the shape of the pedal mounting point, can’t be seen once installed, and takes a couple minutes at most to install. It’s just one screw holding the pedal. I’ve noticed 3 marked improvements:

1) It raises pedal height by about half an inch so that it’s more in-line with your brake pedals. This allowed me to heeltoe without really digging my heel into my footwell searching for the pedal.
2) This one came as a surprise because I was just expecting easier heeltoes, but throttle response appears to be improved. This makes sense because the pedal is higher up, so it gets depressed more in the same distance. This is somewhat like a part two to the VCDS mod to improve throttle response, and I figured it helps because most drive-by-wires feel dead in the first 5-10% of pedal travel. Another person also noticed this in what was essentially a blind test, so it’s safe to say this isn’t just placebo.
3) This also makes driving in heavy traffic and up-hill much better, because I can transition between the two pedals easily and without getting my shoe caught on the edge of the brake pedal.

Overall I’m surprised at how well this little piece worked. If I got a new MK7 today I’d have one of these pieces installed by tomorrow.

I got it from here: http://wctperformance.com/wct-performance-pedal-spacer-for-mk7-7-5-golf-gti-r/

Last edited:

robmarktoo

Ready to race!
I wonder why I've never felt there was an issue. Adapting from my mk2 to the mk7 was very easy as far as pedal placement. My feet are like 8.5 USA men's for reference.

ashiun

Ready to race!
Yeah I didn't like the Razo at all. It lasted a whole 3 hours on my car Lol.

WCT told me the pedal raises the pedal something to the effect of 1:2.5 or something... so even if it looks like a small piece it makes a bigger difference than I thought it would.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
You can probably use a toilet wedge and a longer screw and get the same result. I still prefer how I corrected this on my car which was adding a spacer on top of the pedal and placing a pedal cover over it with a lip for the heel/side of foot.

ashiun

Ready to race!
You can probably use a toilet wedge and a longer screw and get the same result. I still prefer how I corrected this on my car which was adding a spacer on top of the pedal and placing a pedal cover over it with a lip for the heel/side of foot.

Got a pic? I haven't found many pedal covers I've liked so far

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
This seems like a very appealing option. I also find the gas pedal to be way too low and considered the rennline pedal option but just find it to be too expensive (would need the full set to match or else would bother me).

Interested to see some pics installed.

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
I ordered the WCT pedal spacer yesterday, will give feedback after installation.

ashiun

Ready to race!
This seems like a very appealing option. I also find the gas pedal to be way too low and considered the rennline pedal option but just find it to be too expensive (would need the full set to match or else would bother me).

Interested to see some pics installed.

To be honest it's a very quick and simple installation and I could easily take a picture and take it off and take another, but with this cold weather I'm too lazy to step outside and bend down into the foot well on my knees. LOL

Maybe in the next couple days...

roundle1979

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI SE 6MT
I wonder why I've never felt there was an issue. Adapting from my mk2 to the mk7 was very easy as far as pedal placement. My feet are like 8.5 USA men's for reference.

In my opinion, it's pretty bad. I'm a 9.5 and am struggling with the heel-tow (rolling my right foot between brake and gas).

In my opinion, BMW does a much better job with peddle placement.

I'm going to look into the OP's solution.

***EDIT BELOW****

After driving the car for 3 months, I've figured it out. Only complaint is that the pedals wiggle right to left too much for my taste.

Last edited:

roundle1979

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI SE 6MT
So, Ive always had an issue with the MK7 pedal layout, I was unable to heeltoe with it and it appears that seems to be the case for many of us. We’ve all been searching for an answer and I’ve kept a close eye on a lot of different options including:

1) Self-fabbed sheets of metal for a wider pedal, but this looks way too ugly (sorry guys).
2) Rennline pedal replacements/covers, but this was too expensive at $200USD or something ridiculous like that
3) Razo pedal cover RP81/RP82. I actually bought this and tried it, hated it, tried it 3 more times in different configurations, hated it all, removed it the night I installed it. This pedal cover has too many sharp edges that caught in all sorts of ridges in the bottom of my shoes, and the pedal surface just didn’t feel nice. It’s also an ugly solution for the times you DO see your pedals, if that sort of thing bugs you.
4) Tried fitting an OEM brake pedal (which is wider) to the gas pedal, but that didn’t work out either because it extends itself to the opposite direction.

So I realized I’d love a pedal with the nice shape and curvature of the OEM pedal, just raised a bit. Some local guys running WCT made this pedal spacer that quite literally is formed to fit the shape of the pedal mounting point, can’t be seen once installed, and takes a couple minutes at most to install. It’s just one screw holding the pedal. I’ve noticed 3 marked improvements:

1) It raises pedal height by about half an inch so that it’s more in-line with your brake pedals. This allowed me to heeltoe without really digging my heel into my footwell searching for the pedal.
2) This one came as a surprise because I was just expecting easier heeltoes, but throttle response appears to be improved. This makes sense because the pedal is higher up, so it gets depressed more in the same distance. This is somewhat like a part two to the VCDS mod to improve throttle response, and I figured it helps because most drive-by-wires feel dead in the first 5-10% of pedal travel. Another person also noticed this in what was essentially a blind test, so it’s safe to say this isn’t just placebo.
3) This also makes driving in heavy traffic and up-hill much better, because I can transition between the two pedals easily and without getting my shoe caught on the edge of the brake pedal.

Overall I’m surprised at how well this little piece worked. If I got a new MK7 today I’d have one of these pieces installed by tomorrow.

I got it from here: http://wctperformance.com/wct-performance-pedal-spacer-for-mk7-7-5-golf-gti-r/

Can we get some before-and-after pics (or videos!)?

Wear your best drivers for the video.

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
In my opinion, it's pretty bad. I'm a 9.5 and am struggling with the heel-tow (rolling my right foot between brake and gas).

In my opinion, BMW does a much better job with peddle placement.

I'm going to look into the OP's solution.

Agreed. 10-10.5 here (depending on brand) and no stranger to heel-toe, still had problems. Unless I was on the brakes hard enough to level the pedals, it’s definitely not easy.

krisprz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf R 6spd
Ordered one of these yesterday and can’t wait to get it. Heel toeing is impossible for me and foot sometimes gets caught when switching from the gas pedal to the brake. I am a size 10.5 for the most part. Sometimes 10 or 11 depending on the shoe. I’ve only heard all good reviews about this product