GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Very RANDOM list of things to watch out for on a new Golf R (including modding)

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
For #9 on fitment, my Golf-R's assembly is subpar vs the GTI Autobahn (made in Mexico) I sold earlier this summer for another car. But I've owned other Euro cars and the body panels were never really THAT precisely assembled all together. It adds character to the car, I guess.

The GTI's fitment was very clean all around almost like a car assembled in Japan. I was really impressed given that I've had horrible issues with other brands that were assembled in Mexico..!

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
For #9 on fitment, my Golf-R's assembly is subpar vs the GTI Autobahn (made in Mexico) I sold earlier this summer for another car. But I've owned other Euro cars and the body panels were never really THAT precisely assembled all together. It adds character to the car, I guess.

The GTI's fitment was very clean all around almost like a car assembled in Japan. I was really impressed given that I've had horrible issues with other brands that were assembled in Mexico..!

They're held to the same standard, other than being able to say "i bought a German car made in Germany" there shouldn't be any difference. For every Golf R that's subpar, there's an equal number of GTI's with an unfixable leaking sunroof haha.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
For every Golf R that's subpar, there's an equal number of GTI's with an unfixable leaking sunroof haha.
I don't remember (and refuse to read through hundreds of posts) but are you speaking from experience?

I've been lucky. Mustang GT with moon roof, V70R and Accord with sun roof, and a C6 with removable top. None of them ever leaked.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
They're held to the same standard, other than being able to say "i bought a German car made in Germany" there shouldn't be any difference. For every Golf R that's subpar, there's an equal number of GTI's with an unfixable leaking sunroof haha.

Yeah, unfortunately should be the same does not mean it is. My GTI did not have a leaking sunroof either. I'm still enjoying my Golf-R regardless. :cool:

JS12

Ready to race!
Agree with this. The tint shop I used commented they had a specific tool. The whole job turned out great.

Can anyone provide more details on what the special tool for tinting the small windows is called? I made mistake of getting tint installed at a shop that claimed they could do it then decided against because their hands didn’t fit. Other shops have said they won’t touch it either.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
My tint guy made a tool himself for that little glass. Actually most qualified tinters make their own tools.

The tinter I recently used on my other car was a mess blaming me for being too picky. I’m a reasonable guy. Never again am I going to this guy.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
I didn't obsess over getting that little thing tinted and I'm glad I didn't. With 35% tint all around, and the triangle left alone, I don't even notice that it's not tinted, either from inside or outside the car. I'd rather leave it that way than have some butcher do a crappy job trying to shoehorn a tiny piece of tint in there.

yeohong1

I didn't obsess over getting that little thing tinted and I'm glad I didn't. With 35% tint all around, and the triangle left alone, I don't even notice that it's not tinted, either from inside or outside the car. I'd rather leave it that way than have some butcher do a crappy job trying to shoehorn a tiny piece of tint in there.

That's the advice I would give to anyone who doesn't know a guy who's just really good. It's not that a good tint guy can do it or not- it's if for whatever reason, it needs to be redone (depending on how ocd you are about a small bubble, etc), it is truly a pain to remove.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
That is sound advice. Honestly if one is super OCD, don't even bother with tint because chances are the car will end up with a few small bubbles especially while running thicker ceramic material from what I've seen.

I am a reasonable person and hate it when some bogus tinter starts blaming me for being too picky. With the many new cars I've owned with over 25 of them tinted over the years, I know what a good tint is and what is not.