GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

50k carbon cleaning mk7 R

BillD1953

I just had to replace my intake manifold at 45k miles and my valves looked almost as bad as the OP’s. Did the walnut blast while they had the manifold off. Shop suggested chevron Techron can help keep the valves clean once they’re already clean, but won’t clean them once they’re dirty. I have yet to try a bottle of concentrate plus but I was thinking about doing this soon, if for nothing else than to see if it might clean up the injectors and give me a bump in fuel economy.

I began using Techron in my new 1991 Volvo 940 Turbo. Service Dept, recommendation. I've used it for years in my MB vehicles, also Service Dept, recommended.

Spooby

Ready to race!
I began using Techron in my new 1991 Volvo 940 Turbo. Service Dept, recommendation. I've used it for years in my MB vehicles, also Service Dept, recommended.
Techron in your fuel? How would that help your intake side valves?

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
Techron in your fuel? How would that help your intake side valves?

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Techron has been tested by the SAE as an effective cleaner/reducer of deposits on intake valves on port fuel injection systems, but not on engines with direct injection systems such as those found in modern VW/Audi engines. On direct injection engines, no fuel passes over the valve stems and the back sides of the valves. The only potential cleaning that Techron might do would be to the carbon build up on the valve faces, which isn't typically the main carbon problem with our engines.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Al, check your messages!

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
This what VW recommends for our cars!

Volkswagen (G-001-780-M3)

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
This what VW recommends for our cars!

Volkswagen (G-001-780-M3)

I've read the reports from the SAE on Techron: it actually works to a certain extent (something that many fuel additives can't say), though its cleaning isn't miraculous. Not only does VW recommend it, but so does BMW, and likely other manufacturers. As I stated earlier in this thread, it does help with carbon build up on the valve faces and the rest of the combustion chamber. My guess is that it also helps with any varnish build up within the fuel system itself, though I don't recall that being part of the SAE study--most fuel system additives have shown to do that to some degree or another. So there is good reason to add it to one's gas from time to time--I do about every 5,000 miles. Unfortunately, there'e not much any fuel additive can do to reduce the carbon build up on the back side of the engine valves without the fuel itself being a part of the intake charge. Too bad we in North America don't get the combination multi-port/direct injection systems found in R's in virtually every other market; then, adding Techron to one's gas from time to time would likely do a whole lot more.

Spooby

Ready to race!
I've read the reports from the SAE on Techron: it actually works to a certain extent (something that many fuel additives can't say), though its cleaning isn't miraculous. Not only does VW recommend it, but so does BMW, and likely other manufacturers. As I stated earlier in this thread, it does help with carbon build up on the valve faces and the rest of the combustion chamber. My guess is that it also helps with any varnish build up within the fuel system itself, though I don't recall that being part of the SAE study--most fuel system additives have shown to do that to some degree or another. So there is good reason to add it to one's gas from time to time--I do about every 5,000 miles. Unfortunately, there'e not much any fuel additive can do to reduce the carbon build up on the back side of the engine valves without the fuel itself being a part of the intake charge. Too bad we in North America don't get the combination multi-port/direct injection systems found in R's in virtually every other market; then, adding Techron to one's gas from time to time would likely do a whole lot more.
Interesting. I'll have to look into this "SAE report" some more. I can see Techron helping with carbon on the top of the pistons. But yes...north American models are screwed when it comes to carbon build up on the intake valves....just gotta clean them manually every now and again. Thanks for the info though Al [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk