GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tiptronic/DSG shift knob swap

riambink

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks to inc55 for figuring this out and giving me a couple pointers on my install. You’re a great guy.

**Images are linked to save space. If you install an extension like Imagus, you can hover over those links to show the image.

Warning before you begin: The shift knob I purchased comes with a boot frame that is incompatible with our trim cover. You can get around this by two ways: 1) pry off each staple to mount the new boot onto the existing frame (29 staples total) –or– 2) remove the boots to use the existing boot and frame with the new knob. Inc55 did the latter and told me it was a major pain, so I took on method #1. Pros of method #1: new shift boot is leather (my original one was vinyl); you can make use of the turning lock mechanism of the audi knob assembly that doesn’t require clamping on a metal ring like the vw assembly (see below). Cons: you’re removing 29 staples and it’s a massive pain.

The new shift knob comes with a red plunger/rod that should not be removed until you install the knob into place (Step 10 in this DIY).

Approx. time to complete: 2 hours

Tools needed: Needle nose pliers, trim tools, small flathead screwdriver, glue gun

Shift knob I bought (originally from the Q3)
The grippy part of this knob is not perforated but smooth. There’s a perforated version as well as a pricey carbon fiber one.

A3 shift knob
This assembly seems to have a frame that looks similar to ours but cannot confirm. Perhaps the A3 knob is a direct plug&play because its MQB based? Only a theory. I didn’t want this knob because it reminded me of the xenomorph from Alien lol.

--STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS--
1. Remove trim cover: covered in other DIYs; briefly, open the center cubby and push in. There are two clips that need to disengage to pop the trim out. Once they’re out, lift up and the trim cover should move up toward you. Mind the tabs located on the front (nearest you). Begin to lift the trim and shift boot cover over the knob.

2. Unplug wire powering the trim cover: push the small tab and pull out. Continue lifting the trim and boot cover over the knob until the base of the shift boot is uncovered.

3. Pry open metal clamp: You will now see a metal clamp surrounding the knob shaft. Jam needle nose pliers or a screwdriver into the small hole of the clamp and gently stretch the clamp open. Be careful to not damage the surrounding trim (like I did). The clamp needs to be loose enough to clear the plastic tabs at the base. Remember to remove this clamp after you pull off the assembly in step 5.

4. Disengage knob trigger pin: To make this easier, you can remove the center trim piece from the knob to get an actual look at what’s going on. Other installs I’ve seen have you pushing the trigger in and using a flat head to push the plastic piece from the shift lever that the trigger pin is threaded through. DO NOT DO THIS. You’ll risk breaking the plastic, a piece that is absolutely essential to the working of the trigger. Instead, grab the knob like so and pull the trigger out. This pulls the pin out of the eye of the plastic. As the trigger is spring loaded, maintain this hold.

5. Pull off shift knob assembly: While ensuring the trigger is fully pulled out with one hand, use the other hand to grab the base of the knob and firmly pull up. The assembly should pop off cleanly. This does not require much force! If you’re having trouble, make sure the trigger pin is fully disengaged. If done correctly, the trigger pin should lodge into the groove, allowing for reinstallation should you choose to do so.

6. Disconnect boot frame from trim cover: frame is held by 4 clips. There’s very little clearance for these clips so some force is needed. I pressed on them using trim tools.

7. Remove staples from both assemblies: the most tedious part of the install (point at which I sincerely hoped this was worth the trouble). You need to be extra careful if using a flathead since the leather can easily be punctured. Just take your time freeing the staples.

8. Transfer new boot onto existing frame: ensure that the trigger is pointing the right direction and attach the boot onto the frame. I used a glue gun here since my office stapler is too weak for the task. There are grooves along the frame that match the stitching of the boot. While not a perfect fit, you can use the grooves as guides on how to align the boot properly.

9. Attach frame onto trim cover: ensure clips are fully engaged for a snug fit.

10. Slot in shift knob onto lever: this is the point you remove the plastic red rod out of the knob. Once removed, be careful not to press in the trigger! Align the knob so the trigger is pointed toward the front of the vehicle and push down. Pound on the top of the knob with your hand to ensure the knob is fully in. Then press the trigger which should engage the plastic piece of the lever. Play around with the knob a bit to see if its working.

11. Turn plastic nut to locked position at the base of the shift knob: this acts in place of the metal clamp. An added luxury of the Audi knob.

12. Plug wire onto trim cover and reinstall. You’re finished!

ShadowClon3

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2007 GTI MKV
Thanks alot for the write up it was hard to remove the metal clamp and to do the trim with all those staples but the end result is great.

inc55

Go Kart Champion
Thanks to inc55 for figuring this out and giving me a couple pointers on my install. You’re a great guy.

Thanks for the shoutout. Great job on the DIY. I really wish I could have done it the right way. Maybe one day if I find my exact shift knob with boot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tnthlttr

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the write-up again. Worst part was the ring. And I attempted to use the frame it with without checking and failed (too excited). Gonna transfer the original over later.