GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Burger Tuning JB1 Golf 1.8TSI MQB specific information thread.

zdog1230

It is a bit tight no doubt, but it is not too bad if you take your time. Just don't force anything. If you are not comfortable working in tight areas like this, I completely understand. Some things I did (that I did not mention above) may make it easier for folks.

1) I temporarily threaded an 8 inch cable tie through the wires on the OEM connector (on the right side on the on the part that pops out to the right). Once in place, that allowed me to use it as a "handle" to hold and guide the connector so it wouldn't slip down to an area that is hard to reach. Once you get the OEM connector disconnected (hardest part for me), reconnecting the JB connector wasn't too bad. When you are done with the cable tie (at some point it will get in the way), clip it off the OEM connector while being careful not to snip the wires.

2) Another thing you can do is move the hose over as well as loosen up and pop up some of the brackets that sit around the area above where you need to work. I loosened the bracket (with the star bit), but it really didn't give much more room to work. Perhaps it did help more than I realized, but it didn't seem like it!

As George stated, the car will run a bit better on map 1 after plug A is connected, Plus, you will have map 6 capability as well. I think the high end is definitely stronger on map 1 after it is able to use the algorithm using the RPM. Now that I am on map 6, I won't be going back to map 1 since I can run more boost up top while ramping up slower so I don't lose traction so often.

In addition to that it was also really easy for me to get mine once I removed the factory air box. Then I was able to access the connector with my fingers.

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
In addition to that it was also really easy for me to get mine once I removed the factory air box. Then I was able to access the connector with my fingers.

At this point I think everyone is happy the cars didnt come with dual injection because there are a whole lot of fuel related pipes in the way. You dont want to know the fun I had when connecting to it.

jmp4golfvw

Ready to race!
The site seems to have a issue with the search function.

Initially when the unit was released plug A was not used. Now its optional for map 6 use, the car will also drive smoother in both maps when its plugged in as it changes the operating mode of the unit. It is optional due to the difficulty of plugging it in. The add on harness attempt was to find a easier location for it that we did not succeed with.

Got it thanks for clearing that up George...

As George stated, the car will run a bit better on map 1 after plug A is connected, Plus, you will have map 6 capability as well. I think the high end is definitely stronger on map 1 after it is able to use the algorithm using the RPM. Now that I am on map 6, I won't be going back to map 1 since I can run more boost up top while ramping up slower so I don't lose traction so often.

Good to know, was wondering it's function

Slick99

Ready to race!

Can u share ur map 6, m thinking to run map 6 with low boost on lower rpm and lil high boost from 4.5k rpm till 6.5k rpm

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
Can u share ur map 6, m thinking to run map 6 with low boost on lower rpm and lil high boost from 4.5k rpm till 6.5k rpm

Sorry, didn't see this before now. I have worked with George to try several different maps while logging with VCDS to make sure they are safe for my car. I am running 93 octane and the temps have been very mild here during testing. In the summer, I will continue logging to keep an eye on things.

Whether or not these are safe for you will depend upon on fuel grade available, mods, and environmental conditions. Perhaps George can give you his input to see what he thinks would be best for your to try. If you have a decent fuel grade, I would probably try the settings in map 6 that match map 1 @ 5.0 PSI (last one in the grid) and see how it works. However, if you are on map 1 @ 4.8 PSI, you are already less aggressive than this already. The beauty of map 6 is that you can leave the bottom RPM's as is and increase the top end a bit. With map 1, you always fatten the whole curve. If the bottom end of the curve gets too fat, then it spools up faster than you can handle the traction, especially in colder/wet conditions if you run performance all season radials like I do.

For me, we started with "Map 6 Try 1", but I was already on map 1 @ 5.3 PSI and knew it was working well. If you can, I would recommend logging your RPM, selected gear, manifold pressure and timing retard in cyls 1-4 with VCDS so you can see what is going on.

Here are the maps I have tried on my North American 1.8T using Shell 93 Octane in mild temps (40-60F). I am currently on "Map 6 Try 5", still trying to determine which one I like best and if more trials will be added.

I created this graph to have a visualization of how the boost will be added for each trial that I do:

Last edited:

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie

As stated before what applies to the 1.8T Golf does not apply to the Audi 1.8TFSI and Polo GTI, the settings are completely different in terms of what boost you can add.
We have started working closer with someone with the Audi with Map 6 and will see if there are any benefits in boosting the car higher than the recommended 4.0 base setting.

zdog1230

Sorry, didn't see this before now. I have worked with George to try several different maps while logging with VCDS to make sure they are safe for my car. I am running 93 octane and the temps have been very mild here during testing. In the summer, I will continue logging to keep an eye on things.

Whether or not these are safe for you will depend upon on fuel grade available, mods, and environmental conditions. Perhaps George can give you his input to see what he thinks would be best for your to try. If you have a decent fuel grade, I would probably try the settings in map 6 that match map 1 @ 5.0 PSI (last one in the grid) and see how it works. However, if you are on map 1 @ 4.8 PSI, you are already less aggressive than this already. The beauty of map 6 is that you can leave the bottom RPM's as is and increase the top end a bit. With map 1, you always fatten the whole curve. If the bottom end of the curve gets too fat, then it spools up faster than you can handle the traction, especially in colder/wet conditions if you run performance all season radials like I do.

For me, we started with "Map 6 Try 1", but I was already on map 1 @ 5.3 PSI and knew it was working well. If you can, I would recommend logging your RPM, selected gear, manifold pressure and timing retard in cyls 1-4 with VCDS so you can see what is going on.

Here are the maps I have tried on my North American 1.8T using Shell 93 Octane in mild temps (40-60F). I am currently on "Map 6 Try 5", still trying to determine which one I like best and if more trials will be added.

I created this graph to have a visualization of how the boost will be added for each trial that I do:

How do you like the power in try 5? I am currently running similar to your try 1 with Map 6 having peak boost with 5.2. Do you plan on getting Dynos?

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
How do you like the power in try 5? I am currently running similar to your try 1 with Map 6 having peak boost with 5.2. Do you plan on getting Dynos?

I like it thus far, just not sure about running it in the summer when the ECU will need to request higher boost targets to achieve the same load. I'll be doing a lot of logging to keep tabs on things as the weather changes. I was supposed to run on a dynojet near me this past weekend under George's guidance, but the dyno was having issues. I hope to get back soon after they get it fixed.

Slick99

Ready to race!

thanks for the input, i will try map 6 with low boost setting

Slick99

Ready to race!
As stated before what applies to the 1.8T Golf does not apply to the Audi 1.8TFSI and Polo GTI, the settings are completely different in terms of what boost you can add.
We have started working closer with someone with the Audi with Map 6 and will see if there are any benefits in boosting the car higher than the recommended 4.0 base setting.

Hey George am on map 6 with very low boost setting, max boost i kept 4.2 from 4500-5500rpm. Will see if there's improvement compare to base 4.0 map 1.

Slick99

Ready to race!
It should manage, what is the weather like there now?
Weather is hot 28-34c, been driving on map 6 from last 3 days. On full wot its slightly hesitate on high rpm after 5k rpm, Should i switch back to map1 4.0 or wait for ecu to adapt.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 dual sim using Tapatalk

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
Weather is hot 28-34c, been driving on map 6 from last 3 days. On full wot its slightly hesitate on high rpm after 5k rpm, Should i switch back to map1 4.0 or wait for ecu to adapt.

I would dial it back rather. Its not going to iron out to much timing pull.
You should find a octane booster if they have there and see how car reacts.

Slick99

Ready to race!
I would dial it back rather. Its not going to iron out to much timing pull.
You should find a octane booster if they have there and see how car reacts.
Only STP and NOS octane booster available here

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
Only STP and NOS octane booster available here

Try a bottle at 4.2, if those hesitations are gone then on normal fuel you going to want to run 4.0.

Just want to mention to the rest of the readers Slick99 is in Pakistan where the fuel quality is questionable.