GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Unitronic st.2 91 file -- Is It Worth It?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
St1: $650
St2: $750

Upgrade from st1 to st2: $150. That's $50 more than if you go straight to stage 2. So no discount there.

Yes, I was saying that the upgrades are cheaper than the full tune but sure, you always do better going "all-in" up front, that's the incentive, it saves you money.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I was talking about the upgrade if you have Stage 1 - it's only ~$150 I believe. If you are going straight to Stage 2 from not having any software, $800 sounds right. They run sales several times a year that will knock that down a bit.
Oh awesome... That's what I thought!

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Yes, I was saying that the upgrades are cheaper than the full tune but sure, you always do better going "all-in" up front, that's the incentive, it saves you money.
They also do sales for new customers. But not for existing. For instance, i run st1 ECU and st2 TCU, almost the full package. But i won't see any discounts for being a loyal customer. Not complaining, just saying.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
In. Been mulling this exact same thing over for many months. No 93 here either.

I'd be fine with the dp / exhaust costs but my original clutch is still perfect at 50k miles. I don't want to push my luck. If and when it does give up and replacement is imminent, then I'll revisit the idea of stage 2. Perhaps just do it all over a single garage crack binge weekend.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
In. Been mulling this exact same thing over for many months. No 93 here either.

I'd be fine with the dp / exhaust costs but my original clutch is still perfect at 50k miles. I don't want to push my luck. If and when it does give up and replacement is imminent, then I'll revisit the idea of stage 2. Perhaps just do it all over a single garage crack binge weekend.
NV doesn't get 93 either? What is wrong with the West? :)

I favor doing installs one by one, but binging is too enticing of an idea.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I was talking about the upgrade if you have Stage 1 - it's only ~$150 I believe. If you are going straight to Stage 2 from not having any software, $800 sounds right. They run sales several times a year that will knock that down a bit.

That makes much more sense. If it was going to over $1500 for both stages a person can get a custom dyno tune for less.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
That makes much more sense. If it was going to over $1500 for both stages a person can get a custom dyno tune for less.

Sorry, to be clear, the sales are only for new tunes/new customers i.e. that $800 St 2 tune will be X% off, but the upgrade cost to go from St 1 to St 2 ($150) is always the same price/never on sale. That's what some folks above were frustrated with.

gti9251

Passed Driver's Ed
I've messed with Uni, Eurodyne, and Cobb.

I appreciate the smooth OEM feel of the Uni, but I don't think their stage 2 tune is worth it in California. They emphasize low boost and a lot of ignition timing. That approach requires good fuel. We have shit fuel in California. The east coast and Canada guys have it lucky in that regard.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Just confirmed from my shop that moving from 1+ to 2 is $100

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I've messed with Uni, Eurodyne, and Cobb.

I appreciate the smooth OEM feel of the Uni, but I don't think their stage 2 tune is worth it in California. They emphasize low boost and a lot of ignition timing. That approach requires good fuel. We have shit fuel in California. The east coast and Canada guys have it lucky in that regard.
I'm curious, what exactly about the fuel makes it unsuitable for stage 2 Uni? I'm really itching for a stage 2 upgrade, but don't want to waste money if it's not worth it.