GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mazda 3 to GTI with concern

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
Christmas time might be good with end of the year or even open to certified pre-owned if I can find low mileage ‘18.

After Christmas is always a good shopping time. No need to pay the CPO premium if you're looking for a 2018+ as they have the 6/72 People's First transferable bumper to bumper warranty.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
The point is that anything learned here or on any forum is not scientific and has no practical value. I’m sure you understand statistical sample size.

Both data sets are empirical. Both arenas have their whiners and fanboys. The difference is that many, many people here have extensive mechanical and electrical knowledge of the platform. That has significant practical value over an average car buyer, CR subscriber sample.

Point made, I'm out.

Ghawkins

Ready to race!
Three GTI’s, Mk5, 6, & 7. Around 40,000 miles each including the last one still in my garage. The only issue was the need for a new clutch on the Mk7 after the ECU tune.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I have a Mazda 3 and a Mk7 GTI. I'll take the the Mk7 all day any day. The Mazda 3 can't get out of its own way. It's a good around town commuter...but that's about it. To get anything out of the motor...you pretty much have to floor it all the time. If you buy new...the GTI will have a nice long warranty. I wouldn't be worried about reliability. My MK6 wagon is about to turn 90k. It's only been to the dealer once for something unexpected...and that was for the rear latch.

Coachdrives

Passed Driver's Ed
Lots of great takes here and I agree with many. No one really mentioned the concern regarding the ‘19s stalling and Volkswagen not knowing why or how to fix. What good is a warranty if you don’t have car and dealership is giving you no loaner and you gotta make multiple trips? I mean, this is last model year of mk7.5, am I wrong? Outside of 7 speed DSG, but it’s happening in both manual and DSG.

As far as the CPO, pretty sweet to grab an extra year or two on top of 6 year warranty and mileage. Right now, prices are at 26,500 for S DSG and like 31,500 for SE. Rabbit being in between. That’s without haggling.

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
After Christmas is always a good shopping time. No need to pay the CPO premium if you're looking for a 2018+ as they have the 6/72 People's First transferable bumper to bumper warranty.

If buying 2018-2019, CPO is absolutely worth it. Last week, I picked up a CPO 2018 Golf R with 6,100 miles. With the CPO warranty, it's good bumper-to-bumper until 5/2025 or 84,000 miles.

Coachdrives

Passed Driver's Ed
If buying 2018-2019, CPO is absolutely worth it. Last week, I picked up a CPO 2018 Golf R with 6,100 miles. With the CPO warranty, it's good bumper-to-bumper until 5/2025 or 84,000 miles.

That’s exactly what I’m looking at when the time comes. I’m open to new if prices drop a few grand from now, which I believe is very possible. Patience is the key and reason so many get screwed because they refuse to wait. Besides, I wanna see what these 2020’s are all about.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
The point is that anything learned here or on any forum is not scientific and has no practical value. I’m sure you understand statistical sample size.

I think his point was consumer reports, R&T, Motor trend and the like are so heavily swayed by their advertisers, it’s obscene. I’ll take anecdotal evidence from a forum over their marketing any day.

Sadly too much of our society is driven by advertising dollars than actual need, want, and best interest.

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
I think his point was consumer reports, R&T, Motor trend and the like are so heavily swayed by their advertisers, it’s obscene. I’ll take anecdotal evidence from a forum over their marketing any day.

Sadly too much of our society is driven by advertising dollars than actual need, want, and best interest.

I’m not talking about car rags. I’m talking about agencies that do reliability testing as their job. I don’t know if there’s good reason to doubt CR but they do not take ad money.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
The mk7 imo has shown to be more reliable than previous generations, the mk6’s had multiple issues, but were still good cars. The 7/7.5 seem like more bugs have been worked out

quincy

Passed Driver's Ed
Go with the car you like better. Any car will have it's problems, for every 1 that has a major problem there are 100 that are completely problem free. I've only had my 15 SE for a month or so so I can't comment on the reliability, but I've owned 3 other vw's (2 mkv's & a b7 Passat) that were completely problem free. I believe it was George Washington who said "Life's too short to drive boring cars", if you have the means and desire to get a new car, I see no reason to not. I mean, how can you argue with George f***ing Washington?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I have an 18 SE PP with all bolt ons and an IS38. 52,000 miles already. The only problems I've had is the water pump housing leaking which might be the number one problem. I've also had the driver one touch window switch replaced which also seems pretty common. Both were fixed under warranty. I think other problems are exaggerated such as the sunroof leaking. Generally when you read a thread on the forum about a problem such as the sunroof it's actually only experienced by a very small minority.

akimmel

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI AB 6MT
I agree with quincy, I had an accord before this and that had a few problems while the GTI has been problem free for a little over a year (mechanically I mean, the doors have some rattles and the sunroof rattles when its hot.) The accord burned at least 1qt/1k miles while the GTI burns none, and I had to replace the rear calipers multiple times from seizing. Also the clutch pedal squeaked, and it would grind/pop out of 3rd sometimes.