GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

JB4 + ECU Tune?

Tjbell

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2021 GTI SE DSG
So basically right now without a protune/etune a JB4 would add more power/boost and but will kill my IS20 faster?

no, if you are at your IS20's limit, you may LOSE power

vw671

Autocross Newbie
So basically right now without a protune/etune a JB4 would add more power/boost and but will kill my IS20 faster?

To many variables to guess...Potentially it could actually make your car slower.

JB4 can only supplement boost and fuel trim it can not alter timing. In a scenario where the ECU tune already runs high timing adding boost will only introduce timing pull and less overall power. In conditions where timing isn't optimized for the fuel quality then adding boost could help. But again...doing a proper etune is much more beneficial at that point.

The whole point of etuning and protuning for that matter is optimizing boost, fuel, and timing for the engine and fuel being used. In the past Ed(EQT) has said he has been able to get about 10-20 whp over his "EQT OTS" maps with a etune.

Last edited:

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
FYI Ed said he's dealt with customers who didn't tell him they had a JB4 installed until they were troubleshooting issues that ended up being caused by the JB4.

If you have access to E85, an e-tune file for an ethanol blend will give you big results.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
FYI Ed said he's dealt with customers who didn't tell him they had a JB4 installed until they were troubleshooting issues that ended up being caused by the JB4.

If you have access to E85, an e-tune file for an ethanol blend will give you big results.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

This ... when pro tuning and the JB4 is still on the car make sure you have the latest firmware version loaded. Most of the older version have a safety map that adds 3psi of boost when the OBD is disconnected which people need to do to log for the protune. This in turn throws the tuning off as no one is aware this is occurring.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
There is no reason to ever stack a JB4 with a custom tune. You're undermining what the tuner is doing and they're going to end up wasting a bunch of time trying to sort out the issues.

If you need a meth controller you need to buy a meth controller. It's that simple.