GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Looking for quick tire advice!

KlipZ

Ready to race!
So i've needed to replace the stock AS tired for a while, but due to me moving to the desert I opted to wait. Well i've been here 3 months and now the time has come. I think i picked up a nail tonight driving home, so im just going to get the 4 replaced. I have a quote from a month ago for various tires, but was looking for some advice.

Firehawk Indy 500 225/40r18 - (no warranty)
Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS 225/40r18 - (50k mile warranty)

I'm deciding between these two, but also, will 235/40r18 fit on stock Austin wheels? I ask because I can get Firehawk AS BL235/40r18 with 50k warranty.

Any help would be appreciated. My main concern is tread life. I ran my stocks 25k miles until this point, but at 20 the dealer said "replace" (which i believe was a bit premature).

I'd like to get the Indy500's, but i'm afraid they'll only last 15k miles. I drive normal as well, nothing really spirited but lots of highway.

Thoughts? I am going to the shop first thing in the morning on my way to work.

Last edited:

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
If you're not doing any spirited driving and you're in the desert with no concerns about winter grip, honestly I'd just look for a tire with a pro-rated 40-60k warranty.

Sounds like your biggest priority is tread wear so start with that unless I'm reading the post wrong.

KlipZ

Ready to race!
If you're not doing any spirited driving and you're in the desert with no concerns about winter grip, honestly I'd just look for a tire with a pro-rated 40-60k warranty.

Sounds like your biggest priority is tread wear so start with that unless I'm reading the post wrong.

Tread ware definitely. I dont want to spend money on tires that'll be replaced in 20k miles again. I guess i'm leaning more toward the all seasons. It still dips below 40 on occasion in the early mornings here, so the 500's would make me nervous.

Do you know if 235 tires will fit stock Austins?

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
Tons of guys using 235 on here. I wouldn't be super wary of the indys if you only see sub-40 once in a while. Sounds like you'd be happy with a high mileage summer tire.

Personally I can't speak to any particular tire at this point in terms of wear since I'm now a dedicated winter / summer type but again, if wear is your biggest priority, click through the tire rack link on here and use it as your first priority tire search parameter.

KlipZ

Ready to race!
Screw it. The 235 Firehawk AS tires they quoted me are apparently super noisy and generally trash. Its between the 225 RE980AS which has good reviews, mainly because of snowy weather, but i dont have to worry about that here.

I'm seeing some people have driven 30k+ on the Indy 500, which has great reviews all around. I'm thinking i'll take a gamble and go Indy500 225. Would love to feel this car drive with proper tires.

Colowyo

Passed Driver's Ed
For the price, I don't think you can go wrong with the Indy's. While they certainly aren't a super sticky track tire. I think they are really quite good for most street driving.

ccbird

Ready to race!
I have a few thousand miles on the Indys and I think they were a great choice. For the price savings over the Michelins, I was fine without the mileage warranty.

KlipZ

Ready to race!
Well i went with the Indy 500's 225/40r18. Spent a little more than I wanted, do to needing an alignment, but otherwise I was happy with the OTD expense. Wasn't able to really break in the tires today, as it was a very rare rainy day in the desert. Soon...

Thanks to those who replied! The reviews for the Indy500's are all extremely positive, even in wet conditions and I've seen many people say they've put 40k+ on the tires. Firestone shop told me that under normal driving conditions and rotating every 6k miles (free) i'll get 50k no problem.

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
RE 980 will give better wear that the Indy's. I have both and both are fun to drive. Both do well in rain. Coworker ran Indy's all winter. Just drive accordingly in cold.

I suggest RE980 in your case.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/SULLIVANB2C/retailtireimages/bs2_shot2_medium_edit_transparent.png

Indy tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

KlipZ

Ready to race!
I went with the Indy's today actually. I figured that because I live in AZ and snow/rain/cold isn't much of a worry, I'd be good. Hoping to give them a good test tomorrow, but so far i'm liking them a lot. Also, couldn't beat the price... The 980's would have been +$200