GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI 2015- 46K miles--- advice

nav1d

Hi everyone.
This is my first post here. So I apologize if I am posting in a wrong thread- but i would appreciate any comment or opinion.
I found this car on craigslist- GTI 2015- with 46K miles and the owner is asking for $16K. Autobahn, DSG.
I currently own a 2007 corolla with 120K miles. I have saved up cash for a new car.
I have never owned a GTI but they were my favorite cars forever. I drove a 2003 anniversary edition to Colorado from AZ and absolutely loved it. But I have no idea about the maintenance and costs of it.

So my question is are there any big maintenance cost coming up at 50K miles or 60K miles- or in general how much is the cost of owning one? Do I need to be concerned about any belt issues or transmission issues or brakes that need to be replaced soon?
More importantly, I read online that used GTIs are a risk, because their original owner may have abused them! So is there anything I should check to make sure?
I heard about 2015 bad turbo batch. Should I be concerned about that?
Also the owner said the car has extended warranty.

A little abt me. I am a graduate student and hopefully will graduate and start working in May.

I would appreciate any insight about this,

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Life advice - wait till you start working to spend the money on the car.

Car advice - yes, 2015's had some turbo issues, but if you're planning to leave it stock and it hasn't broken yet, it's probably fine. The '15s have the crappy infotainment without Android auto / Apple car play if that matters to you ('16 on is much better). Brakes depend more on the driver than the mileage, but they are cheap and easy to do yourself. There's always the possibility it was tuned or modified, but other than having VW run an ECU scan, it'll be hard to tell. Maintenance on this car is very reasonable and easy to do yourself; dsg service can be pricey if you pay someone to do it though (couple hundred bucks) and should have been done recently. Find out if it was.

HighQuality_H20

Passed Driver's Ed
If you been saving money, why not just wait to you get your job and used the money you saved as a down payment for a new 2018 GTI. (New GTI's come with 72k bumper to bumper warranty)

I wouldn't recommend buying a used one. GTI's are maintenance heavy. Random things on them go wrong all the time.

They are not like Toyota where the designers primary objective for the car build is longevity.

myke1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
15 SE DSG|19 STI WP
Hi everyone.
This is my first post here. So I apologize if I am posting in a wrong thread- but i would appreciate any comment or opinion.
I found this car on craigslist- GTI 2015- with 46K miles and the owner is asking for $16K. Autobahn, DSG.
I currently own a 2007 corolla with 120K miles. I have saved up cash for a new car.
I have never owned a GTI but they were my favorite cars forever. I drove a 2003 anniversary edition to Colorado from AZ and absolutely loved it. But I have no idea about the maintenance and costs of it.

So my question is are there any big maintenance cost coming up at 50K miles or 60K miles- or in general how much is the cost of owning one? Do I need to be concerned about any belt issues or transmission issues or brakes that need to be replaced soon?
More importantly, I read online that used GTIs are a risk, because their original owner may have abused them! So is there anything I should check to make sure?
I heard about 2015 bad turbo batch. Should I be concerned about that?
Also the owner said the car has extended warranty.

A little abt me. I am a graduate student and hopefully will graduate and start working in May.

I would appreciate any insight about this,

I had a 20115 DSG and the turbo went bad early in ownership. DSG service is expensive and so are suspension maintenance and possible replacement around 60k miles.

I say, since MK7's will be around until 2020, get a new one when you have income and get that 6 year warranty.

Good luck buddy!

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
I'll echo what others have said. Rock the Toyota until you graduate and get a job. Then make a decision.

I wouldn't recommend buying a used one. GTI's are maintenance heavy. Random things on them go wrong all the time.

They are not like Toyota where the designers primary objective for the car build is longevity.

Disagree with all this. What is maintenance heavy about the GTI?

Any performance based car is probably going to go through tires/brakes quicker than something more pedestrian, but beyond that, what am I missing?

myke1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
15 SE DSG|19 STI WP
GTI is NOT maintenance heavy. The only thing I guess I can consider maintenance heavy is the DSG service at $580. Oil changes were $67 from what I can remember.

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
GTI is NOT maintenance heavy. The only thing I guess I can consider maintenance heavy is the DSG service at $580. Oil changes were $67 from what I can remember.

$580 for the DSG service is almost double what I paid at a VW dealer. You might wanna shop around next time.

nav1d

Thank you, everyone, for your insights and comments!
I am really debating about keeping the toyota and purchase a car later, but the problem is that the toyota is starting to get really old and I don't want to put money into it so I could keep it longer. I feel like it may be a total loss if I keep it.
Also, I could test drive the GTI today; It was really nice, but the owner said it was a manufacturer buyback. I called the dealership and they told me, it was the fuel pressure sensor that was replaced. The owner has been driving the car for 3 years.
So my question is if the car is okay after an inspection, how much would be reasonable for the car since it is a lemon? (the owner is asking for 16K)

Thank you, everyone!

nav1d

I had a 20115 DSG and the turbo went bad early in ownership. DSG service is expensive and so are suspension maintenance and possible replacement around 60k miles.

I say, since MK7's will be around until 2020, get a new one when you have income and get that 6 year warranty.

Good luck buddy!

Thanks, Myke!