GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Good deal on 2017 R?

NY01

Passed Driver's Ed
I just put a hold on a 2017 Golf R (DSG) with 3k miles for $33k....any thoughts on whether that's a good deal? Your feedback is appreciated.

krisprz

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf R 6spd
I think that’s a pretty good deal. If there isn’t any damage I would go for it

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Is that a private sale or from a dealer. Also was the vehicle owned by a private person or a dealership.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Based on KBB, price looks good.

I would verify the history thoroughly as the vehicle was traded with such low miles.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Thanks. Beyond a Carfax and look through, how else could I check?

I would take that vehicle's vin to a VW dealer and see if it has any flags in their system which would void the warranty. Inaddition to that, i would take a mechanic to inspect it thoroughly.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
I think that’s a pretty good deal. If there isn’t any damage I would go for it

Agreed, sounds like a good deal. Especially if from CarMax.

CarMax is very market price oriented and these hatchbacks just don't sell well in the current business climate so you are shopping at a real good time. GL with the purchase and new to you car.

NY01

Passed Driver's Ed
Turn of events. The 2017 Golf R looked immaculate...$32k...2,700 miles. WAS about to buy it from the Carmax, when I noticed that the stock paddle shifters were replaced with aftermarket dark metal ones. Then they clearly had done the center console mod, because it opened and there a was rubber mat saying ECS Tuning. No thanks. Not wanting to buy car that was probably modded for its first 2k. Carmax guy was dumbfounded I saw things they must have missed. Then again, they put it back up on their site 30 minutes after I left. Good luck to buyer....it looks perfect otherwise.

PlaidDad

Ready to race!
Not sure I would be scared off by cosmetic mods. That's a good price, some people want to personalize their cars, and those are pretty minor tweaks. You could have a VW dealer do a pre-inspection to look for more significant alterations. If you spend $150 to lock in that deal, it's money well spent.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
That seems like a decent deal, especially based on what others have posted for prices in CA.

I wouldn't let those minor mods be the deciding factor. I'd ask to have a VW dealer scan for the TD1 flag, and absent that, go for it.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Wow, getting discouraged by aftermarket paddles and a working center console? I am lost.

If the paddles were bigger than the factory ones I'd be happy to take it, it's a bonus. I hated the factory paddles (more like big buttons) on the GTI and ran metal paddle adapters. It was like changing a knob on a MT car and was one of the best mods on the GTI I had (MK7).

The center console mod is just 2 screws and adapter ECS sells. That would be a benefit buying used.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Buy the car, and I'll trade you the factory paddles from my GTI for the aftermarket ones on the R.