EQT Prototype Turbo Results

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190428-134602__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20190428-134602__01.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 598

firemanjust1

Has anyone had UM tune one of these yet ? I was looking to pick one up and run on stock fueling for a couple months. I read earlier in the thread that someone was going to drive directly to UM to have Jeff tune in directly did I miss that. I have read that about 420 whp is possible on stock hardware until I can purchase the mpi ?

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Has anyone had UM tune one of these yet ? I was looking to pick one up and run on stock fueling for a couple months. I read earlier in the thread that someone was going to drive directly to UM to have Jeff tune in directly did I miss that. I have read that about 420 whp is possible on stock hardware until I can purchase the mpi ?

I'd like to know if there is an update to that question as well. I believe someone has been UM tuned with an EQT but we've never seen any results.

The one thing I would not bet on is that UM is going to provide a custom tune for OEM fueling for this turbo. When I spoke to them last they would only support MPI and upgraded LPFPs with big turbo tunes, and would not support HPFP upgrades only. Completely understandable, but that means that if you're looking for a small turbo upgrade now with room to grow in the future, UM might not be your best tuner.

I don't want to speak for them, I'm sure they would do any tune for the right money if it made sense, but I don't know if a stock fueling big turbo tune is going to be something OTS from them.

vw671

Autocross Newbie
I'd like to know if there is an update to that question as well. I believe someone has been UM tuned with an EQT but we've never seen any results.

The one thing I would not bet on is that UM is going to provide a custom tune for OEM fueling for this turbo. When I spoke to them last they would only support MPI and upgraded LPFPs with big turbo tunes, and would not support HPFP upgrades only. Completely understandable, but that means that if you're looking for a small turbo upgrade now with room to grow in the future, UM might not be your best tuner.

I don't want to speak for them, I'm sure they would do any tune for the right money if it made sense, but I don't know if a stock fueling big turbo tune is going to be something OTS from them.

FWIW...Not EQT but DVB2 turbo..A buddy just jumped UM ship because they had issues supporting the 525 w/Torqbyte, then wanted him to swap it out for a Iroz brushless setup.

Clearly a 525/Troqbyte can't support +500whp *Insert sarcasm here.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
FWIW...Not EQT but DVB2 turbo..A buddy just jumped UM ship because they had issues supporting the 525 w/Torqbyte, then wanted him to swap it out for a Iroz brushless setup.

Clearly a 525/Troqbyte can't support +500whp *Insert sarcasm here.

They did not have issues supporting it. The Torqbyte removes the support aspect...you could install a 525 w/ Torqbyte on a stock car and it would run fine.

They said he had insufficient fuel pressure to continue tuning and refused to turn the boost up without a waiver. Given the fact that the PR kits are trouble prone, it is entirely possible that he has a 525 and does not have adequate fuel supply. I just went through this with another members car (525, TB, fuel delivery problems).

He said he was at 6 bar fuel pressure at 22psi boost... typically a 525 will have that or more at 500+whp, which he was a long way from at only 22psi. UM may have refused to continue tuning in anticipation of further pressure loss.

Keep in mind UM has been tuning MPI on these cars for longer than anyone, and I have no doubt they have more 500+whp MQBs to their credit than anyone.

I'm not a UM customer, but they are as OG as VW tuners come. It's ignorant to assume that because they refused to tune a car with a potential hardware issue, they must have been incapable of doing so.

vw671

Autocross Newbie
They did not have issues supporting it. The Torqbyte removes the support aspect...you could install a 525 w/ Torqbyte on a stock car and it would run fine.

They said he had insufficient fuel pressure to continue tuning and refused to turn the boost up without a waiver. Given the fact that the PR kits are trouble prone, it is entirely possible that he has a 525 and does not have adequate fuel supply. I just went through this with another members car (525, TB, fuel delivery problems).

He said he was at 6 bar fuel pressure at 22psi boost... typically a 525 will have that or more at 500+whp, which he was a long way from at only 22psi. UM may have refused to continue tuning in anticipation of further pressure loss.

Keep in mind UM has been tuning MPI on these cars for longer than anyone, and I have no doubt they have more 500+whp MQBs to their credit than anyone.

I'm not a UM customer, but they are as OG as VW tuners come. It's ignorant to assume that because they refused to tune a car with a potential hardware issue, they must have been incapable of doing so.

Time will tell..as he is going to get it tuned at another tuner.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Time will tell..as he is going to get it tuned at another tuner.

Yes, one who has 1/100th the experience with MPI. Surely this tuner knows better, assuming he bothers to respond to emails.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I wasn't implying that UM couldn't tune MPI...I was more implying they or the shop selling UM wasn't really helping him solve the issue.

I spoke with him briefly and I agree. They did make some recommendations, which were unnecessary and costly.

It also seems that they didn't provide much detail for him to make an informed decision on how to proceed.

My hunch is that they were not wrong to raise fuel pressure concerns if he was down to 6 bar with low boost, however they could have made some alternative recommendations for how to troubleshoot the existing hardware or recommended a LPFP setup that is of higher quality without breaking the bank.

To imply that they're incompetent tuners is simply not accurate.

firemanjust1

I didn't think that I wanted to go to far down the rabbit hole with mods when I purchased this car, but you know. I bought the UM ecu & dsg tune before maestro was well known and Cobb is na for a S3. Really don't want to have to buy more software just to run a bigger turbo, it's almost the same cost now to do the fueling mods then switching tuners. I will try to reach them directly to get a answer but trying get them on the phone is hit or miss for sometimes days.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I didn't think that I wanted to go to far down the rabbit hole with mods when I purchased this car, but you know. I bought the UM ecu & dsg tune before maestro was well known and Cobb is na for a S3. Really don't want to have to buy more software just to run a bigger turbo, it's almost the same cost now to do the fueling mods then switching tuners. I will try to reach them directly to get a answer but trying get them on the phone is hit or miss for sometimes days.
Email for me was pretty quick, give it a shot. Please do post back what you hear though.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

mkv:uno

Ready to race!
I have been talking to the same shop that Triton had his tune done at and they are also telling me that if I want to hit 30+ PSI I need to go to the PR dual 450 kit or the iroz lpfp. I emailed UM to get their feedback because it seemed like the shop was just trying to upsell me but maybe not based on what I am seeing here.

I will be installing the same DBV2 turbo as Triton with MPI.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I have been talking to the same shop that Triton had his tune done at and they are also telling me that if I want to hit 30+ PSI I need to go to the PR dual 450 kit or the iroz lpfp. I emailed UM to get their feedback because it seemed like the shop was just trying to upsell me but maybe not based on what I am seeing here.

I will be installing the same DBV2 turbo as Triton with MPI.

To just make a blanket statement like that is false.

There are plenty of cars making mid 500s on single pumps at well over 30psi on E85 or even E98. The fastest stock motor S3 and Golf R both use a single pump (one a 450 and one a 525). Important to note that all of them have the Torqbyte to fully utilize the pump.

Plently of people have had good success with the PR kit. Several others haven't. Some have been reliability problems and others have been aerated fuel issues which are dangerous for the engine and difficult to troubleshoot.

If you actually have to do a fueling upgrade, Pagparts has a solution that will deliver consistent, high volume, cavitation free fuel for $700ish depending on pump choice.