GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IS20 Instalation Guide (1.8t)

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Anything unique to the R/S3 (vs. awd golf) once I have dp removed?

Is there anything unique to the r/s3 engine which reduces clearance and makes pulling it from the top more challenging? I've heard I may need to tilt engine or lower subframe?

Thx and appreciate all the info in the thread.

You can unbolt the dogbone and use some ratchet straps to pull the engine forward. What turbo is going in?

yakev724

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 S3
You can unbolt the dogbone and use some ratchet straps to pull the engine forward. What turbo is going in?

Thanks - wish it was documented a bit more thoroughly for my engine.

Low mileage late revision is38 before going stg 2. Preventative maintenance. Doing dp at the same time.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Thanks - wish it was documented a bit more thoroughly for my engine.

Low mileage late revision is38 before going stg 2. Preventative maintenance. Doing dp at the same time.

It's pretty much the same, just AWD in the way making oil line on bottom harder to get to. In that case just take turbo off studs and rotate so you can take line off bottom of turbo instead.

I fit my turbo in that's similar sized to IS38 without issue from top.

VTT actuators have to come off but that is obvious once you start digging in.

gtsetsa1

Once you get settled with the JB4 you might want to consider a tune if you've got the cash. The extra throttle response and earlier spool are very nice. Then if you want you can stack with the JB4 to take advantage of ethanol, intercooler, meth injection. The JB4 logging is also good.

Hi. I've been having problems with the JB4; it won't work properly for some reason so I haven't been able to tune with it. I was driving the car around with the APR Stage 2 tune for a few weeks but decided to get tuned by APR yesterday at Waterfest. The car absolutely rips now! Unbelievable.

JCAT

Finally got off my butt and installed my IS20 and APR dp. I got the dp used off a someone with a Golf R and found out the reducer for the R is not the same size as for the regular golf. As a result, I have a bit of an exhaust leak while I wait for the proper reducer to come from APR. Despite that my initial impressions are great. This is what I wanted the car to be.

Thanks to MeltedSolid for putting this guide together. Betweeen it and the DAP dp and turbo install videos it made the job much easier to plan out.

MysticBlueX3

Ready to race!
Thanks Meltedsolid for this write up. I was initially only planning on stage 1 tune only. Then enjoy the power for a while. And if wanting more then swap up for an IS20. Now I’m thinking more about going straight to IS20 + corresponding stage 1. Then later add on new clutch (when the stock one starts slipping) and IC (I live in the Bay Area so it never really gets that hot).

Do you think it worth while putting in a catted DP at the same time as the turbo swap? Wasn’t sure if installing a DP requires taking out the turbo or if you can pull the DP out from under the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Thanks Meltedsolid for this write up. I was initially only planning on stage 1 tune only. Then enjoy the power for a while. And if wanting more then swap up for an IS20. Now I’m thinking more about going straight to IS20 + corresponding stage 1. Then later add on new clutch (when the stock one starts slipping) and IC (I live in the Bay Area so it never really gets that hot).

Do you think it worth while putting in a catted DP at the same time as the turbo swap? Wasn’t sure if installing a DP requires taking out the turbo or if you can pull the DP out from under the car.

Downpipe really isn't much of a hassle on the FWD Mk7's, it really is something you can easily get done in under half an hour. Now while pulling the downpipe does not require pulling the turbo, removing the turbo will require the removal of the downpipe. Since it's coming out anyways for the turbo install, you could make the argument that replacing the downpipe then would be the easiest.

MysticBlueX3

Ready to race!
Since it's coming out anyways for the turbo install, you could make the argument that replacing the downpipe then would be the easiest.

You weren’t suppose to say that. Lol.

Fowvaydriver

Ready to race!
Downpipe really isn't much of a hassle on the FWD Mk7's, it really is something you can easily get done in under half an hour. Now while pulling the downpipe does not require pulling the turbo, removing the turbo will require the removal of the downpipe. Since it's coming out anyways for the turbo install, you could make the argument that replacing the downpipe then would be the easiest.

This is false. I have 4motion gsw and just swapped my turbo from the top no downpipe removal.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
I still don't know how people take the turbo out without removing the downpipe... :p

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i

4MotionWagen

Ready to race!
I did my 4motion turbo swap in my driveway from the top. It sucked. Lol. I did my downpipe in my driveway also, at a later date and it also sucked.

tplociniak

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack SEL
When I did my IS20 swap in my wagon I kept the downpipe in and when I got lazy and smart and had A2B Motorsports do my IS38 swap he kept it in as well.

Fowvaydriver

Ready to race!
The key is to only remove oil and coolant return lines from turbo. Not from the block.
Also... remove downpipe lower hangers and upper bracket so you can slide it to the side.
That’s about it. Shorty triple square for the bolts on turbo. I did mine in the driveway in about 3 hours taking my time.
You should try doing a downpipe on b5 4motion with rusty exhaust nuts/bolts. Makes this swap fluffy easy.