GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to make stock black plastic parts Gloss black?

dpmarc

Passed Driver's Ed
How can you turn the oem diffuser and other flat/ rough black plastic trim into gloss black? Oem front splitter/ fog light grills/ side skirts/ diffuser? Would love to have them in gloss black. Is this doable?

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Spray them gloss black using a high build primer to smooth them out first.

thaseint

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI SE 6MT
How can you turn the oem diffuser and other flat/ rough black plastic trim into gloss black? Oem front splitter/ fog light grills/ side skirts/ diffuser? Would love to have them in gloss black. Is this doable?

I attempted this myself. I painted everything but the rear diffuser. Ultimately ended up with a Clubsport rear diffuser and side skirts.

Currently the only thing I still have on my car that I painted are the front splitters.

Here's a pic, sorry for the quality:

What I did was used an orbital sander with 400 grit and sanded off all of the texture. Followed by 600 grit. Rubbed down using a red scotch bright pad.

Then used a tack cloth to wipe down, followed by wax/tar remover and then adhesion promoter.

Sprayed down using a SEM high fill/build primer (per can instructions).

Sanded down smooth using 600 grit then followed up with a wipe down using a tack cloth.

Then put down the color followed by 2k clear coat.

Once everything was fully dry (48 hours) I carefully sanded using 1000-1500-2000 grit sand paper, followed by compound and then a polish.

This was all fairly easy; but like I mentioned I didn't do the rear diffuser since that would have been a huge PITA due to the curves and honeycomb parts. Was less headache just to spend the $300 for the Clubsport diffuser.

I think the fog light grills would be much easier since they don't really have any texture you won't need to mess with the orbital sander part. I haven't got around to that part since I'm not sure I want to do that with my unpainted grill.

I will probably end up redoing my front splitters since the base coat I used was some shitty gloss Rustoleum. It's not as glossy as I would like; but that should at least give you an idea of what's involved.

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
Could use vinyl wrap. Probably be easier than sanding/painting but not as durable if you scrape. Also if the surface is textured the vinyl may not adhere.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
I attempted this myself. I painted everything but the rear diffuser. Ultimately ended up with a Clubsport rear diffuser and side skirts.

Currently the only thing I still have on my car that I painted are the front splitters.

Here's a pic, sorry for the quality:

What I did was used an orbital sander with 400 grit and sanded off all of the texture. Followed by 600 grit. Rubbed down using a red scotch bright pad.

Then used a tack cloth to wipe down, followed by wax/tar remover and then adhesion promoter.

Sprayed down using a SEM high fill/build primer (per can instructions).

Sanded down smooth using 600 grit then followed up with a wipe down using a tack cloth.

Then put down the color followed by 2k clear coat.

Once everything was fully dry (48 hours) I carefully sanded using 1000-1500-2000 grit sand paper, followed by compound and then a polish.

This was all fairly easy; but like I mentioned I didn't do the rear diffuser since that would have been a huge PITA due to the curves and honeycomb parts. Was less headache just to spend the $300 for the Clubsport diffuser.

I think the fog light grills would be much easier since they don't really have any texture you won't need to mess with the orbital sander part. I haven't got around to that part since I'm not sure I want to do that with my unpainted grill.

I will probably end up redoing my front splitters since the base coat I used was some shitty gloss Rustoleum. It's not as glossy as I would like; but that should at least give you an idea of what's involved.
That's essentially the only way to do it. Vinyl wrap won't adhere to textured surfaces.

If you're looking just for it to "look" like gloss black, just do a proper detail and you'll get nice results...

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
Depending how rough the surface is vinyl should work.
IMG_5888.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk