GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hoon vs big turbo VR6 ($$ Race)

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Nice kill Hoon. I thought for sure he was going to win. 2 door MK3 vrt, lighter car with more power should have sealed it but the MK7 is an impressive car and with the right mods, can do wonders.

Luchos

Go Kart Champion
Nice kill Hoon. I thought for sure he was going to win. 2 door MK3 vrt, lighter car with more power should have sealed it but the MK7 is an impressive car and with the right mods, can do wonders.

Vrt needs driver mod :rolleyes:

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Cobb does have boost by gear also.

With the same amount of traction I'm sure he would have, but spinning isn't winning!

If he wants a rematch on slicks I'll do it, I know I can make a significantly better pass than the one I made that night, just have to get the tires hotter.

Good run hoon

Thanks

Luchos

Go Kart Champion
Needs the slicks mod more than anything

Those would certainly help. Either way he should practice launching his car a bit more. Does he have NLS?

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
Great kill Hoon. Got to use your advantages where you can. Have you ran 1/4 on that setup?

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
Locked and loaded...Shenanigans around 11pm.

Matt,
How do you like the Hoosier DR2’s?

Do you daily drive them?
I looking for a tire that provides far superior traction which I can use at the track and on the street if I want to have fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Matt,
How do you like the Hoosier DR2’s?

Do you daily drive them?
I looking for a tire that provides far superior traction which I can use at the track and on the street if I want to have fun.

I actually think they make zero sense whatsoever and i would never buy them again.

They have a lifespan of about 400 miles on the street. That's probably generous, maybe 300 miles. If you cruise above 65mph for any length of time all you can smell in the car is rubber. They literally melt on the highway. They're also so soft that rocks penetrate deep into the tire.

They are downright terrifying in rain...without a doubt worse than being on ice. I could not physically go up a hill at more than 35mph on the highway, because 1/8 throttle in 4th gear was just spinning the tires. The elderly people behind me were getting pissed. Any standing water and you have ZERO control over the car. Worse than being on ice, i'm not kidding.

So, they're a 100% race only tire...but for a 100% race tire, you can buy an MH slick for less than 1/2 the price and have better traction.

These grip a lot better than a street tire, but not as well as a full slick, and have no redeeming qualities.

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
Wow good to know lol

Sucks that they become totally useless unless its dry with a clean pavement surface... oh and that they cost a lot for so little thread life!

I actually had Hoosier Quick time pros in mind for a full slick at the tire. However, I like the idea of a tire that grips awesome at the track and still grips decently on the street.

You can’t run a M&T or Hoosier slick for occasional street driving.

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
Right, but you can't run these either, unless $500 for 300 miles is good value to you lol

Hmmm

So basically the only "logical setup" is a crappy street tire (even if a good Michelin SS or 4S - traction won’t be possible in lower gears)on the street) and run a full slick for the track.

Seems to be the only setup for this car ...? (Unless like you said, spending 500$ + for 300 miles is a good value to someone lol)

railroader

Autocross Newbie
I run nitto nt555r and they do good in what little rain we have had and a descent t lifespan from what I have read. They grip good, I can pretty much dead hook in 2nd, first is better than what I had before with the a/t. I have read they people get like 10k miles out of them. I shall see, I only drive about 10k a year so it's ok for me, I want a second set of wheels with slicks
Hmmm

So basically the only "logical setup" is a crappy street tire (even if a good Michelin SS or 4S - traction won’t be possible in lower gears)on the street) and run a full slick for the track.

Seems to be the only setup for this car ...? (Unless like you said, spending 500$ + for 300 miles is a good value to someone lol)

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk