GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 cost savings measures

fretburnr

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
So we are generally familiar with some of the things changed by VW for 2017 as cost-savings measures; the lack of felt lining in some of the compartments/glove box, the missing battery tray cover, etc. Most of these are documented well.

I just noticed last week on my 2017 GTI Sport that the rear interior door panels are made of a different material than the fronts, and I can't unsee it! The upper part of the front door cards are the nice, soft material also found on the dashboard. The rear doors appear to be made of the hard plastic found on the lower B-pillar trim and seat bases. The attached pic isn't the best but shows the shinier nature of the hard material on the rear door.

Is this different from 2015-16 cars? I did not notice this earlier when I was shopping in the prior years.

What other cost savings changes have you folks seen between 16-17 model years?

Attachments

• doorpanels.jpg
    doorpanels.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 1,482

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Pretty sure they are both the same material in my '16. And if they aren't I'm going to find you and haunt you for the rest of your life for pointing it out

7umberjackZac

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Gti
Yeah my S 16 is like that. Hard plastic in rear, who ever sits back there anyways. You carting around celebrities in a GTI?

At least my 16 has a hood insulator, heard newer models do not
Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Jarbear

Ready to race!
Yeah my S 16 is like that. Hard plastic in rear, who ever sits back there anyways. You carting around celebrities in a GTI?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

My 17 has the different door cards, and the hood insulator. Had the car for almost a year and just noticed the difference a couple weeks ago.

MaxM97

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'19 Alltrack SEL 6MT
My 2015 S has the different rear door panels as well

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Yes, the upper door trim being hard plastic on the rear doors debuted on the MK7.
It's on my 2015.

robmarktoo

Ready to race!
Sometimes I think partially why they do that is because people put kids in the back, and kids destroy shit. Who wants nice stuff back there for them to destroy?

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
So we are generally familiar with some of the things changed by VW for 2017 as cost-savings measures; the lack of felt lining in some of the compartments/glove box, the missing battery tray cover, etc. Most of these are documented well.

I just noticed last week on my 2017 GTI Sport that the rear interior door panels are made of a different material than the fronts, and I can't unsee it! The upper part of the front door cards are the nice, soft material also found on the dashboard. The rear doors appear to be made of the hard plastic found on the lower B-pillar trim and seat bases. The attached pic isn't the best but shows the shinier nature of the hard material on the rear door.

Is this different from 2015-16 cars? I did not notice this earlier when I was shopping in the prior years.

What other cost savings changes have you folks seen between 16-17 model years?

I think there were some changes that might have happened mid-model year. My 2017 GSW has a build date of 5/17 and it has:
  • hood insulation
  • battery cover (top and sides)
  • soft rear door cards
It does not have:
  • felt surface in glovebox

FWIW, I was at the dealership last week waiting to pick up my car and sat in one of the new Mk7 Jettas... it was the SEL Premium trim and the back door cards were totally different than the fronts-- the fronts were nice and soft, while the rear were the hard plastic.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI

This happened during the MKV generation as well. My 2006 had one. At some point (maybe 2008?), they stopped including them. Doesn't matter anyway. At about 4 years old, it started to sag and I ripped it out anyway.

kingkhan

Ready to race!
Couple other things i noticed at least for Canada

1. glovebox missing lock and felt

2. No Autodimming rearview mirror
3. Screen is 6.5" down from 8.0" which was made exclusive to the R

EXEA189

Ready to race!
This happened during the MKV generation as well. My 2006 had one. At some point (maybe 2008?), they stopped including them. Doesn't matter anyway. At about 4 years old, it started to sag and I ripped it out anyway.

I know its referred to as "hood insulator," but isn't it designed in case of an engine fire to fall off and smother the fire?

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
I shnazzied mine up with some aluminum sill inserts.

image by Diggs24, on Flickr

Never noticed that the rear door uppers were different, now I must needs investigate.

Where did you get those sills? I've seen a few on AliExpress but they say MKVI