GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ENGINE BLEW UP ON ME! HELP!!

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Spark plug failure could have easily put debris into the motor causing low compression without a catestrophic failure.

There doesn't have to be a cloud of smoke with connecting rods tumbling down the highway for the engine to be damaged.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
I'm not saying it isn't possible that the motor is blown, just that there's a lack of information and more details and a second opinion are warranted. Cracked block? Show me the crack before I shell out $7k. Internal cylinder damage? Same deal, show me the boroscope footage. How about the exploded spark plug? Just trying to encourage him to be a careful consumer. Not all shops have your best interest in mind, do your due diligence before you make a decision.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Not that he shouldn't ask for evidence, but a broken piece of plug could easily score the cylinder wall. He said the block was damaged, not necessarily cracked.

Abarela72

Sorry for the multiple posts. Sorry for the obnoxious caps. I was a little freaked out. But everything said helps me in the way I was looking for, I'm young and dumb. Trying to do better. The did say they did the camera in the cylinder. A spark plug preignited and blew, scoring the cylinder. Badly. I was that idiot and bought the second hand car pretuned with no warranty. I know. The shop said that he thinks the original shop that did the tune put the Apr tune set for 93 octane. And I only have 91 octane available here. And thays why it blew. The only reason I say golf r engine because I thought it was the same gti engine with beefed up internals a little bit. Didn't realized they wouldnt just drop in. If I'm going to be putting in thousands of dollars into a rebuilt engine. I figured maybe if the R engine wasn't too much more might as well do it. But I wasn't sure of the costs for each one. Just needed a little advice or what would you do.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Hayden

Love/Hate Relationship
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Sorry for the multiple posts. Sorry for the obnoxious caps. I was a little freaked out. But everything said helps me in the way I was looking for, I'm young and dumb. Trying to do better. The did say they did the camera in the cylinder. A spark plug preignited and blew, scoring the cylinder. Badly. I was that idiot and bought the second hand car pretuned with no warranty. I know. The shop said that he thinks the original shop that did the tune put the Apr tune set for 93 octane. And I only have 91 octane available here. And thays why it blew. The only reason I say golf r engine because I thought it was the same gti engine with beefed up internals a little bit. Didn't realized they wouldnt just drop in. If I'm going to be putting in thousands of dollars into a rebuilt engine. I figured maybe if the R engine wasn't too much more might as well do it. But I wasn't sure of the costs for each one. Just needed a little advice or what would you do.

Weird because I've talked to Unitronic and APR (I think it was apr) and they both told me that with a tune for 93 you can run 91 without any issues.

Do you think you should take it elsewhere for a second opinion?

GTI Dude 11

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
gti
Hi there, this happened to be with a similar story. Search for this thread “ post your engine failures”. And...well post there and include your story and stats.

You have 3 options:
1. used engine with install should cost you around $4500. You will most likely need a new turbo as well.
2. New engine from dealer...11k lol ( fuck that)
3 apr crate motor....super expensive but it’s option 3.

What you need to decide is what option and what you’re going to do after the replacement. Either go back to stock and drive it, or if you no longer trust the car sell it.

Send me a PM if you want further advice

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
This thread is useless without pictures.

I saw another thread about a blown up gti on the FB page today, it was also APR stage 2 without an intercooler upgrade. When the weather gets hot and IAT sky rocket you’re asking for trouble, especially with stock heat range plugs (if that’s the case) on a stage 2 tune.

Anyway, find a salvage yard with a mk7 and pull the engine. Replace yours and be done with it. That shop suggested to rebuild the replacement engine...why? To make more money off you. There’s tons of bone stock low mileage mk7 totalled from collisions out there...

Last edited:

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
What jake said above. Find a low mileage motor and get the job done from a decent shop. Labour should be around $1500-2k.

I would stick to stock plugs. It could have been the tune, or it could have been a thousand other things.

The R motor is actually more prone to failure than the GTI by the way. The increased oil jets on the piston make the ringland area weaker and that is where they have failed.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule

I don't think they'll tell you without seeing the car, but you can call a local APR dealer and ask if they will tell you if the car has their tune, and which octane it is. Was the car originally from the area? Do you have the Carfax? A shop will give you a warranty on a tuned engine? Who's warranting it, the shop or the source of the engine? Is it a rebuilt engine for $7K installed, out the door?

Last edited:

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
Stage 2 without intercooler?

Go APR!

Seriously it should be mod #1 on this engine.