GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stock clutch

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
Weirdest clutch I've ever encountered; light and squishy with no discernible friction point... I'm not looking forward to replacing a clutch prematurely, what with my grandpa driving habits and all...

No problems like that with mine. Squishy clutch leads me to think there is air in the line.

TheDoc46

Ready to race!
Did 30k on my prev gti with a NPM with lots of highway pulls and generally beat the piss out the car as i liked the redline & cos it was a lease. Clutch held up fine before i turned her in. Not one slip ever. i wouldn't worry too much. its the same clutch in the R, and that's 292hp, so i wouldn't immediately write off the clutch as being that delicate. Sure you're not going to be able to hold stage 3 IS38 for long.. But stock, i wouldn't have any worries. Tuned, hmm, expect to replace down the road.. How long? every driver is going to be different.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie

robmarktoo

Ready to race!
Did 30k on my prev gti with a NPM with lots of highway pulls and generally beat the piss out the car as i liked the redline & cos it was a lease. Clutch held up fine before i turned her in. Not one slip ever. i wouldn't worry too much. its the same clutch in the R, and that's 292hp, so i wouldn't immediately write off the clutch as being that delicate. Sure you're not going to be able to hold stage 3 IS38 for long.. But stock, i wouldn't have any worries. Tuned, hmm, expect to replace down the road.. How long? every driver is going to be different.

This is the first time I've ever heard anyone claim that the GTI and R have the same clutch. Are you sure? I find it hard to believe.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Stock clutch started slipping on mine at 10k miles, car was stock. Not a driver error either as the clutch looked in perfect condition when I replaced it. Now 20k miles on an SRE and no slip.

I drove manual cars all my life and i have never seen a clutch failure.

Yes an automobile component can fail but only at unforeseen circumstances or abuse on a stock vehicle.