GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New S&B Intake

Frenchyfromfl

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 Golf R DSG
Thank you for the update. What battery class/size does your '18 use stock then?

This is what S&B told me

Here is a more in detailed description of the issue with the fitment of the airbox:

2018 models with automatic transmissions are equipped with the fuel saving automatic engine start/stop feature. The added demands on the starter, require the use of a larger battery, therefore a 69Ah battery is used in these models. The intake was designed with models using a 60Ah battery, so the larger battery prevents fitment of the intake. We were at fault by publishing/advertising fitment for ALL 2018 models, without clarification.

Frenchyfromfl

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 Golf R DSG
They will have a solution but not sure when available.

I would guess all new 2018 SE and Autobahn models would have that feature and therefore a bigger type battery.
Limiting the use of this intake to S model only for the 2018 model.
They would have to come up with a new design for sure.

Sucks I could not install mine, but I would still be interested IF they do release a new one in the future. Their customer service was great too!

wlfpck

Ready to race!
I have a feeling all that needs to be done is make the air filter box a bit smaller.

Good news is that then it seems like you won't need to re-locate that one wire they have in the video install.

Mk7Will

Ready to race!
Im running this intake on my 2018 golf r manual and it fits, but the enclosure for the ecm is also in the way. I managed to stuff it in there, although not a perfect fit, it went in. So far I like it, not too loud with it all plugged up

Aphex13

Passed Driver's Ed
Im running this intake on my 2018 golf r manual and it fits, but the enclosure for the ecm is also in the way. I managed to stuff it in there, although not a perfect fit, it went in. So far I like it, not too loud with it all plugged up

Can we see a picture? Just for curiosity's sake?

Aphex13

Passed Driver's Ed
I’m still baffled at the lack of room between your battery and the intake, I have enough room for my JB4. Weird

Love my intake , I left the bottom cover off and I can’t hear the damm thing lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe that the box part of the intake is vacuum formed, so there shouldn't be any variances in size. I have no idea why mine sits so far back. I did remove my battery tray and a bunch of other parts in that area to install my chirp alarm, so maybe I put something back in differently (so many clips/tabs on this car).

I ran mine yesterday with the top cover removed out of curiosity, and it's still not loud at all. I think it must have to do with the piping being plastic. That, and I'm not sure how close the under side of the hood rests to the top of the intake. I may try to find a place to shove a GoPro under the hood to see. I didn't really want noise in the first place, so I'm not at all disappointed.

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
I believe that the box part of the intake is vacuum formed, so there shouldn't be any variances in size. I have no idea why mine sits so far back. I did remove my battery tray and a bunch of other parts in that area to install my chirp alarm, so maybe I put something back in differently (so many clips/tabs on this car).

I ran mine yesterday with the top cover removed out of curiosity, and it's still not loud at all. I think it must have to do with the piping being plastic. That, and I'm not sure how close the under side of the hood rests to the top of the intake. I may try to find a place to shove a GoPro under the hood to see. I didn't really want noise in the first place, so I'm not at all disappointed.

I notice the DV much more now when coming off throttle. I have the plug not installed but do have the top on. I think it's a great in between.

s4in7

Passed Driver's Ed
https://imgur.com/a/1Jxu7Gj

Got mine installed a couple days ago late at night with a magnetic LED light lol

I don't have the silicone drain plug installed and the sound is subtle but there's a definite increase in growl and DV hiss. The turbo seems to spool a few hundred RPMs sooner, and really helps getting off the line.

All in all I'm very impressed with the intake quality and performance! For the price you can't beat it :)

Gr33nBunny

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE 6mt
I would guess all new 2018 SE and Autobahn models would have that feature and therefore a bigger type battery.

I have a 6mt 2018 SE and do not have the start/stop feature nor the larger battery. So I'm thinking it's a DSG only thing.

Martin398

Ready to race!
installed mine yesterday. this thing is fit to a T in the available space. was still able to tuck my JB4 between the battery and intake. the throttle response coming from a "hot air intake" setup is definitely noticeable. IATs also dropped 15-20° coming from the open filter intake.

Martin398

Ready to race!
for reference I had the injen open intake installed, with a custom aluminum heat shield. the decrease in IATs of 15-20° are based off my JB4. I didn't datalog, just watched in real time. same or very close ambient temperature over a couple days. and with the injen intake open to the engine bay saw about 15° higher sitting at idle and about 20° on throttle. and throttle is definitely more responsive. it's not night and day but enough to notice.

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Used to have a big post with 40+ members on the forum all complaining about issues with the injen open intake. It runs hot (20+ F over the stock unit) and the heat shield seems to have little effect on its performance.

Everyone got super upset about it, so it got buried. (Injen open intake is super cheap which makes it a popular purchase. Nobody wants to hear that they paid money to slow their car down). [loss aversion and confirmation bias]

Injen makes a second intake (the evo3000) which addresses all the problems with the open air model.

Glad you were able to see a nice drop in temps from swapping to the S&B.