GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

b-pillar rattle driving me crazy

branman1

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI 2021 GLI
Now the passenger side has joined the party. I already hate this car and it still has the temp tag. So sad. Thanks Volkswagen for not fixing a major issue even though it seems like an isolated problem.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Warm weather is back and I noticed this rattle is back doing Morse code next to my left ear :p

Anyone know exactly what the root cause of this issue is and how exactly it's fixed?

Fanis1

Ready to race!
I noticed that moving the seatbelt tensioner (I think that's how you call the think on the pillar to adjust the height of the belt) to the top position solved by quite a bit this problem for me. It still rattles sometimes, not so loud or as often though.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
I noticed that moving the seatbelt tensioner (I think that's how you call the think on the pillar to adjust the height of the belt) to the top position solved by quite a bit this problem for me. It still rattles sometimes, not so loud or as often though.
I'm close to 6 and a half feet tall so I'm pretty sure that I have it at the top position. I remember recently moving it up/down to find the best position for comfort.

Regardless, it seems that when the weather is cold outside (under 60°F) it'll never make a noise. Once it gets warm it starts up with the tapping again.

There's three other rattles that I know about that come and go. Something under the passenger seat, the center armrest and some plastic trim in the passenger side footwell.

spielwurfel

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf MK7 2014
I had the door seal issue which was treated somehow by the dealer. But there's another rattle that can come from the B-Pillar, which also has a rubbery noise. It comes from the black piano trim on the B-Pillar. Try pressing with (with doors closed and opened) and see if you can hear the noise. I have no idea on how to fix it though.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
The noise that I'm hearing sounds just like or very similar to the video in the OP's post.

Much like plastic tapping plastic or metal kinda noise.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
On my way home from work yesterday it was in the 80s. Darn tapping like crazy. Today it's cloudy and in the 60s. Zero tapping.

Really makes me wonder what exactly is causing my problem exactly. I'll have to try lubing the seals and see if that helps at all...

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
90°F yesterday. The tapping is back with avengeance!

It's not the driver's door seal. I've cracked the door while driving slowly and noticed no change in the noise. I think it's either the plastic covering the b pillar or something under it that's tapping...

Fanis1

Ready to race!
There were two main causes for me.
1. Try lowering the window just a bit, so that it doesn't let air in, but it is lowered a bit, a few mils only.
2. Raise the seatbelt tensioner all the way to the top.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
There were two main causes for me.
1. Try lowering the window just a bit, so that it doesn't let air in, but it is lowered a bit, a few mils only.
2. Raise the seatbelt tensioner all the way to the top.

For #1 doubt that's the cause since I've opened the door at a low speed and noticed no change.

#2 already done. In fact I think it's always been at the top since I bought it... Tried a few positions as well with no change.

Fanis1

Ready to race!
I meant to crack the window just a little, not to open the entire door. Try that, since it's a common problem

cruzmisl

Ready to race!
I put a 1/4" tube in the inner window/door seal to put a little pressure on the window when fully closed. This fixed the rattle/creaking coming from the window.

For the black p billar trim, I got teflon non-stick dry film lubricant and put it behind the black trim where it meets the rubber, and also behind it as it attaches to the door. Anywhere those two things touched, especially when the window is up.

The driver side has been quiet since I did this ~2 months ago.

zero10

Ready to race!
Freaky - mine just started doing this a couple days ago and while I was still trying to pin it down this thread gets bumped after a year of sitting idle. Great timing!!

For me it's only the passenger side that's tapping for now, but in a car that is otherwise quiet it's super frickin' annoying.