GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Noise at 3k RPM

Derassassin

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys -

Just noticed this today, but anytime I pass through 3k RPM (up or down) I get a strange sound coming from what seems like the engine bay. Pretty quiet (heard with music off), but sounds like some rubbing maybe... really hard to describe.

FWIW, my soundaktor is disabled, so wouldn't be the cause.

Anyone experience this or know what it could be?

Thanks!

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
I usually drive my Golf-R with no stereo the first hour or so on my weekend drives and I have not noticed any odd noises (mine is a MT if that makes a difference and Soundaktor at 50% volume). Being an audio guy, I have good ears although my age has kind of deteriorated it a bit.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Hey guys -

Just noticed this today, but anytime I pass through 3k RPM (up or down) I get a strange sound coming from what seems like the engine bay. Pretty quiet (heard with music off), but sounds like some rubbing maybe... really hard to describe.

FWIW, my soundaktor is disabled, so wouldn't be the cause.

Anyone experience this or know what it could be?

Thanks!

Can you post an audio or video file?

Mike/RAREHARE

Ready to race!
I just bought my 2015 last Thursday. I dropped the car at the dealer to check out something very slimar. Picture a fan blade slightly touching slide of the pop can. The sounds of it touching it what I'm hearing. The dealer said they couldn't find anything odd. I can still hear it, 3k and under. It's so annoying that I can't figure it out, the sound is very light.

Last edited:

elwood1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2024 GTI SE DSG
The waste gate actuator rod can rattle (my car has done so since new, the dealer says it is normal) as you accelerate. It sounds like marbles in a can to me. My MK6 GTI did it also, so I'm kind of used to it. I seldom hear it any more, I guess I've learned to tune it out.