GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone had a real fix from a dealership on the rattling/creaking sunroof and/or the h

angelsfanswa

Passed Driver's Ed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

takemorepills

Ready to race!
Sil-Glyde helped mine out.

The "creaking-foam" sound was coming from the lip seal gasket along the back edge of the sunroof glass. That is why if it was wet or popped-up slightly the sound went away. I simply lube that part and the sound stopped. About 5-6 weeks now since I applied Sil-Glyde.

BTW, had my car in twice for the sunroof noise. I may take it in a 3rd time if there is ever a real fix, or to have them remove the tape crap they installed the last times.

MidnightinGotham

Passed Driver's Ed
Put Sil Glyde on last night, thus far it made the sound worse. When it dries on the surface it's almost tacky which in guessing is where the sound is coming from.

joesid

Go Kart Newbie
Put Sil Glyde on last night, thus far it made the sound worse. When it dries on the surface it's almost tacky which in guessing is where the sound is coming from.

Maybe in your case it's not the rear seal? It seems these roofs are capable of producing creaks and rattles from several completely unrelated areas. I think mine is completely unrelated to the one in post #52 for example.

SD11

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE DSG
I have the issue but just live with it. Its noticeable in the morning when I first leave the house but somewhere in the first few blocks, it either dissipates or I cant hear it over the stereo.

MidnightinGotham

Passed Driver's Ed
Maybe in your case it's not the rear seal? It seems these roofs are capable of producing creaks and rattles from several completely unrelated areas. I think mine is completely unrelated to the one in post #52 for example.

Well oddly enough when I wipe off the rear seal after this it's better. Not sure if it's just too much on the seal or if it's better without anything on it

bc0203

I have the same rattle in front of sunroof.

Does anyone have sunroof rattles from the front? Most posts that I have read are regarding the rear lip.

My sunroof has a rattle above the console, sounds like sunglasses rattling in the compartment. I removed the entire console, lights, etc, and it still rattles. I can make it stop by opening the roof in either position, or by pushing up on the glass (front) with extreme pressure when it's closed.

The one the dealer and I heard together sounds like it's across the front of the sunroof, but I've also heard similar rattles from the area of the right B pillar.

Possibly two separate noises?

Dealer "lubed" it and did not seem to solve problem.

BaronGTI68

Passed Driver's Ed
My latest application of Aerospace 303 was not as effective; ironically the act of actually using the sunroof appears to render the 303 almost useless.

However, I note that the rattle is coming from the front, right of the sunroof. While pumping gas the other day I noted that the arc of the sunroof did not match the arc of the trim next to it-- the driver's side was almost identical. Hard to say which arc was "right" (glass or trim) but, at least in my case, I think I have identified the culprit.

takemorepills

Ready to race!
My latest application of Aerospace 303 was not as effective; ironically the act of actually using the sunroof appears to render the 303 almost useless.

However, I note that the rattle is coming from the front, right of the sunroof. While pumping gas the other day I noted that the arc of the sunroof did not match the arc of the trim next to it-- the driver's side was almost identical. Hard to say which arc was "right" (glass or trim) but, at least in my case, I think I have identified the culprit.

The "arc" as you say on my car is off on the drivers side, perfect on the passenger side.

I had noise in my sunroof, but silicone lube fixed my car for 6 months at a time.

Recently the sunroof seal rotted away on my car and the dealer r/r the seal under warranty and applied the TSB to the cracking frame. Sunroof is still pretty quiet even after being futzed with by the dealer.

stockton2007

Go Kart Champion
my squeaking noise sounded like Styrofoam, and only when the sunroof was completely closed. The only way I was able to fix it was removed the glass, take out the small black plastic tray that sits over the motor, and put the glass back on.