GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need some ideas

Mike/RAREHARE

Ready to race!
Hey all, couple questions.

I don't plan on doing coils or springs, like the height of the car and how the car rides. Thinking of keeping it simple and easy, bolt on's and tunes....

So looking for some new wheels for my 2015 R INDIUM GRAY. Need some ideas so please post away.

Sway bars for the front and rear, also a turbo back exhaust. What's everyone liking these days?

thanks for your insight

Mike

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
Hey all, couple questions.

I don't plan on doing coils or springs, like the height of the car and how the car rides. Thinking of keeping it simple and easy, bolt on's and tunes....

So looking for some new wheels for my 2015 R INDIUM GRAY. Need some ideas so please post away.

Sway bars for the front and rear, also a turbo back exhaust. What's everyone liking these days?

thanks for your insight

Mike

Increasing the torsional stiffness of your anti-sway bars will help reduce the weight transfer in the corners, but it comes at the expense of limiting the independent action of the front and/or rear axles. If you are thinking of frequently tracking your car, that's not a huge consideration, but on less than smooth real-world streets, that reduction of independent action between the wheels can actually hurt both the handling as well as the ride quality. If you are going to add beefier anti-sway bars, make sure you get ones which are adjustable, as that way you can optimize the trade-offs between flat cornering and control over bumps. Many people want to make their tail ends rotate easier; to do that, going to just a firmer rear bar often does the trick. Just remember though, that the joy of a little tail wagging in the summer months can become quite a fright once there is snow or ice under your tires.

Personally, I'm all up for a bit more boom coming out of the R's tailpipes, especially if it's nice and full of bass. But that's pretty much all a cat-back exhaust system will do for you, as any horsepower gains are typically pretty minimal. I guess it all depends on how deep you pockets are and how important the right exhaust note is for you.

My tip for the biggest bang for the buck, handling-wise is installing a Eurocode front strut brace. It's an easy install and only costs $250. The MQB chassis is strong, so you might think that an R wouldn't benefit from additional bracing at the struts, and in some ways you'd be right. But to me, my biggest gripe about driving the R is that the steering "feel" isn't what I'd like it to be. Some of that has to do with the electric assist power steering, but some has to do with the play from the front subframe and bushings. The strut brace reduces a lot of that looseness, giving you at least some semblance of real road feel. Better yet, there are no trade-offs from this mod, which is pretty rare.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
The Golf-R drives and handles excellent out of the box. If there was one thing to change on the handling, it would be sticker tires. The 5P's are okay, but squeal too much for my liking on high G turns.

Buguyed

Ready to race!
Dogbone insert for awesome NVH upgrade

If manual, short shift and bushings

Tune: APR stage 1 or JB4 (eventually a clutch if manual)

Remove snow grate from intake. All the gains you’ll get from any intake unless you go Stage 2.

Exhaust Resonator delete

Driver mod

Mike/RAREHARE

Ready to race!
Thank you for the deats on that.

Looking at different style wheels, thinking of staying at 19's maybe stay at 2354019 or even 2454019 if it will fit lol.

I def understand having the sway bars installed in front and back, what positive and negatives are. I'm thinking of going with H&R for just the rear.

For the turbo back exhaust, going back and forth on the miltek non res or the awe non res with valve controller That's why asking for pics to see what everyone is rocking.

Mike/RAREHARE

Ready to race!
Point is don’t waste money on an intake..

That's what I have been reading, they look nice.....Though down the line, not worth it, best stay stock in that area.

Hatcher

Ready to race!
Get it over with and go straight to Stage 2 APR with their DP and new Catback exhaust:p

The DP is not resonated but you can always add one later. The valved and resonated exhaust is KEY IMO

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fed
How much?

Point is don’t waste money on an intake..

My point was you get no gains from removing the "snow grate".