GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Steering 'Click' Is this normal??

tstadgti

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE DSG
I've noticed recently either at low speeds and at a stop if I turn my wheel in either direction a decent amount I hear a loud 'click'. This happens before I turn the wheel to full lock in one direction (I typically try to avoid turning all the way to full lock as it is).

Is this normal or is this something more? I'm not mechanically savvy so I appreciate the feedback.

No mods and no other indications driving that something would be wrong.

Video Link:
https://youtu.be/YsCOvuGwpYM

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Ig your car is still under B2B, take it in. Could be an issue with the steering column lock. Happened on my mom'd Passat and my friend's Sonata

hobie411

Passed Driver's Ed
Do you have aftermarket floor mats? My wife’s Escape had them, and the edge was clicking against the steering rod, making a very similar noise.

tstadgti

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE DSG
Do you have aftermarket floor mats? My wife’s Escape had them, and the edge was clicking against the steering rod, making a very similar noise.

Interesting, but no that's not the case for me. I just have the regular Monster Mats that are locked in place

Ig your car is still under B2B, take it in. Could be an issue with the steering column lock. Happened on my mom'd Passat and my friend's Sonata

Thanks, I think I will just bring it in. My B2B is active until October, so I will make the most of it :D

rahtx

Go Kart Newbie
I don't hear this in my GTI, but it's giving me flashbacks of a Honda I had with a similar annoying click in the steering wheel. They replaced the turn signal stalk module and maybe even the airbag cable reel, and it was fixed (or at least it was quieter) for a while, but it eventually came back. Good luck :-\

Sir_Mk7r

Ready to race!
in kia's there is a rubber piece called a clock that we replaced all the time for a ticking noise. it would wear down overtime and turn into a gummy bear.

KlipZ

Ready to race!
my wheel has ticked every time i make a turn since i got the car. Its a little metallic "tick" usually followed by a "ping" noise.

I've just gotten used to it.

tstadgti

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE DSG
Update: Got my car back from the dealer, they tightened up the subframe bolts and for now the noise is gone. They are a little unsure this will be the final fix though, so I'm advised to keep an eye on it for now. The dealer thought the factory probably torqued them wrong to begin with...

When I googled this problem, it seems like some have changed out the subframe bolts and are using bolts from the Passat instead.