GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

anyone block off intake opening?

worldacgti

Go Kart Champion
On the stock intake (front section box) there is an opening on one side (passenger side). Anyone block that of so all the air is directed towards the intake?

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
The injen evo intake does. (it replaces the entire scoop).

No idea if that cutout is actually there for some purpose (airflow in the upper part of engine bay, or pressure related).

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
I think on an intake thread, there is an OEM piece on the eGolf that blocks this off.. if my memory serves me right. I don't know if we ever got a part number tho

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
I wouldn't block it off. It def helps draw in some cooler air to vent the engine bay. Every other week I just take my air nozzle and blow the dust away.

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Thanks Chillout!

jackalope

Ready to race!
I wouldn't block it off. It def helps draw in some cooler air to vent the engine bay. Every other week I just take my air nozzle and blow the dust away.

Is that really necessary? Isn't there enough airflow from the fan? And the ram air effect is only at higher speeds

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
On the stock intake (front section box) there is an opening on one side (passenger side). Anyone block that of so all the air is directed towards the intake?
Yes

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
Curious to know your change in oil temps
I have been monitoring the oil temps as well now that the summer heat is here. As of now I'm hovering around 100-120C so I'll update if things change

Last edited:

LurpyGeek

Passed Driver's Ed
From what I understand, there is a small oil cooler below the oil filter housing. The pass through allows air to blow directly on that.

My oil takes a long time to warm up and I figure that air flowing across the intake track would cause suction, so I installed the block-off part listed above. Have had it installed both in the dead of winter and now in summer temperatures (Utah) and haven't noticed any negative effects where it comes to temperatures.

Didn't cost much, so I thought I would try it along with other tinkering.

MadMen

Ready to race!
With the hood closed, I seriously doubt air is rushing through that area enough to provide cooling to the engine. I'm betting the opening is more for sucking hot air into the intake during idling for some sort of emissions purpose (although this is highly skeptical, being a Volkswagen and all...)

I installed the block off plate a few weeks ago and see no difference in oil temps.