GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Driver's one-touch constantly needs reset

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
How does silicone help? Pretty sure it’s a computer issue. At least on mine it reports in vcds as an issue.

The window control unit is designed to stop the window from closing if there is something in the way, i.e. someone's fingers. If the window encounters enough resistance every time it tries to close, the auto-close function stops working, because the window control unit is a relatively simple device. So, lubricating the window tracks ensures the glass can travel in a smooth fashion, which keeps the control unit from stopping itself.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Mines been doing that since new. 58,000 miles and I just keep resetting it lol, I guess I’ve owned too many Volkswagens and got used to stuff like that

Good news is it takes 10 seconds to reset

The lubricant fix mentioned above only applies if the window changes direction at the time of the failed one touch event. If the torque limiter is met in the control unit it’ll back the window up the way it came from to theoretically release whatever it just tried to smash.

My mk6 Jetta got a whiskey dent from the previous owner (my buddy lol) and I had to bend the door back a little around the mirror area. Fixed it, never did it again. When it’s a binding issue you can hear the window motor bog down and struggle

TDR-380

Passed Driver's Ed
My wife's Skoda Superb had a similar issue. I tried resetting it and then it would not work after starting the car again.

I took it to the dealer and they found that the connector that connects the door to the car had a bad power wire (red). Pull back the rubber protection to expose the wires and see if they are not worn, torn or exposed.

Worth a look imho.

Regards.

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn
I find that you have to hold the button for a full 1-2 seconds for it to work. So it's more like "one touch-and-hold"

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
The part the glass attaches to is called a window regulator. If you don't have any codes and you can demonstrate it to a dealer while you're still in warranty they will replace it, if that's the problem.

cezar

Passed Driver's Ed
I find that you have to hold the button for a full 1-2 seconds for it to work. So it's more like "one touch-and-hold"

I don't have that on any of my windows.

The silicon fix sounds legit, I could see where it would have some sort of sensor detecting amperage and when it goes too high (because it's working harder than expected) it would disable the one-touch. I'd guess it's either that or a failed part.

Does anybody know where the actual 'memory' is held? Is it inside the switch module itself?

IIRC I only have the powertrain warranty left ('15 with 36k) so I'll be fixing this myself.

cezar

Passed Driver's Ed
Ok, silicone spray on the runners did nothing. I used more than enough and rolled the window up and down 10 or so times. Then while I was in the middle of testing it it forgot the one-touch memory.

What's the next step?

robmarktoo

Ready to race!
I hardly ever use my one touch, but my drivers window often will quit going down with regular touch and I have to let go and press again. Not sure if the dealer will help me since it's intermittent. Kinda hoping it will break totally before my B2B is gone in 5k miles.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion