GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dkm stage 3 clutch

Crackness1

Ready to race!
I haven't been totally happy with mine.

Could you expand on this? I figured most SB clutch owners on this car seem to be unhappy with it - it seems like everyone with a used clutch for sale happens to be SB.

radoroc

Ready to race!
Could you expand on this? I figured most SB clutch owners on this car seem to be unhappy with it - it seems like everyone with a used clutch for sale happens to be SB.

I'm talking about dkm. Long after break-in, mine is still making a loud grinding noise when throttle is applied while it's engaging. I can't rev match or drive spiritedly because of it. No one else has reported of the same behaviour.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I'm talking about dkm. Long after break-in, mine is still making a loud grinding noise when throttle is applied while it's engaging. I can't rev match or drive spiritedly because of it. No one else has reported of the same behaviour.

Sounds like a bleeding issue. I’ve been running mine hard for 9,000 miles already including 15 quarter mile passes at the track and love it

radoroc

Ready to race!
Sounds like a bleeding issue. I’ve been running mine hard for 9,000 miles already including 15 quarter mile passes at the track and love it

I have thought about that, it doesn't appear to have any air in the system but the noise is abnormal. I can't recommend this clutch anymore as DKM has stopped replying and the shop doesn't want any part in it. DKM is trying to say it's normal, while I'm the only one who has grinding?

Something is fishy here. I regret spending all that money, I should have gone with a different option.

Yours makes no sound on engagement? Even when rev matching and power shifting?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I have thought about that, it doesn't appear to have any air in the system but the noise is abnormal. I can't recommend this clutch anymore as DKM has stopped replying and the shop doesn't want any part in it. DKM is trying to say it's normal, while I'm the only one who has grinding?

Something is fishy here. I regret spending all that money, I should have gone with a different option.

If you haven’t re bleed they clutch I can’t really take any of this seriously. That’s literally step one for diagnosis here.

They only time mine makes noise is if I don’t rev match or shift smoothly/properly.

My you tube channel even has a video showing this https://youtu.be/_vf1l0nbyL4

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx

Within the first 4,000 miles I would get a funny noise when I didn't rev match correctly or at all. Eventually though it went away completely...or maybe I've been rev matching perfectly since it's something I only recently started to do.

I do have an issue where the car doesn't want to get out of 1st or reverse gear when I'm slowly creeping. Think modulating the clutch to back into a parking spot or stop and go traffic.

I've rebled the clutch and have done shifter alignments without resolution. I reached out to Dkm and they said to bench bleed the slave...you know, remove the transmission and all and bench bleed. I didn't do the install and this doesn't happen enough for me to pay someone the same money as a clutch job to do this so I'm just living with it now unless it gets worst.

I posted this issue here and on Vwvortex and nobody has this issue. DKM did tell me the this clutch, because of the twin disks, doesn't like to be slipped...not sure how you can not slip the clutch when reversing or leaving out of first. To get out of 1st or reverse when I'm stuck I have to repump the clutch or blip the throttle.

Does this make me regret the clutch? I don't think so since it just seems to be a random issue with mine. Seems like I'm just unlucky and some combination of my setup is causing the issue.

Sorry about your issue though. Doesn't seem like it's something that's easy to live with.

radoroc

Ready to race!
If you haven’t re bleed they clutch I can’t really take any of this seriously. That’s literally step one for diagnosis here.

They only time mine makes noise is if I don’t rev match or shift smoothly/properly.

My you tube channel even has a video showing this https://youtu.be/_vf1l0nbyL4

I haven't re-bled the clutch and the shop won't do it. So I can either do it myself or pay someone. The shop was adamant that it doesn't need to be done again.

Mine grinds only if I rev match, no noise when not doing it. It's the throttle on engagement that causes the grinding noise, if I drive very carefully then it's very quiet. It will do it any gear as well.

radoroc

Ready to race!
Within the first 4,000 miles I would get a funny noise when I didn't rev match correctly or at all. Eventually though it went away completely...or maybe I've been rev matching perfectly since it's something I only recently started to do.

I do have an issue where the car doesn't want to get out of 1st or reverse gear when I'm slowly creeping. Think modulating the clutch to back into a parking spot or stop and go traffic.

I've rebled the clutch and have done shifter alignments without resolution. I reached out to Dkm and they said to bench bleed the slave...you know, remove the transmission and all and bench bleed. I didn't do the install and this doesn't happen enough for me to pay someone the same money as a clutch job to do this so I'm just living with it now unless it gets worst.

I posted this issue here and on Vwvortex and nobody has this issue. DKM did tell me the this clutch, because of the twin disks, doesn't like to be slipped...not sure how you can not slip the clutch when reversing or leaving out of first. To get out of 1st or reverse when I'm stuck I have to repump the clutch or blip the throttle.

Does this make me regret the clutch? I don't think so since it just seems to be a random issue with mine. Seems like I'm just unlucky and some combination of my setup is causing the issue.

Sorry about your issue though. Doesn't seem like it's something that's easy to live with.

It sounds like the opposiye problem that I have. The clutch hates any throttle on engagement so that leaves out rev matching or spirited driving. It really sucks having to drive it abnormally since the grinding can't be good for it.

Your shifting issue is not normal at all, I definitely don't have that. DKM appears to try to say that everything abnormal is normal, hmmmm. Organic disks do like to slip, just like the stock clutch. This is not using ceramic disks.

That would be annoying, I hate to say it but I enjoyed the car more with the stock clutch(except for slipping).

I hope everyone with issues can get it resolved because it's no fun having to drive the car differently to prevent weird issues.

Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
You guys are killing me lol, glad I’m not DKM having to deal with this.

BLEED THE DAMN CLUTCH. That’s your issue 100%. If there’s air in the line you’re not getting full clutch travel, which on turn doesn’t fully disengage the transmission...causing you to grind gears. I’ve personally installed three of these with no issues, your shop sucks for refuseing to fix their own f up. You literally have to bleed the shit out of it to make sure all of the air is out. The clutch has nothing to do with that, that’s the case ANY time the clutch line is removed

radoroc

Ready to race!
You guys are killing me lol, glad I’m not DKM having to deal with this.

BLEED THE DAMN CLUTCH. That’s your issue 100%. If there’s air in the line you’re not getting full clutch travel, which on turn doesn’t fully disengage the transmission...causing you to grind gears. I’ve personally installed three of these with no issues, your shop sucks for refuseing to fix their own f up. You literally have to bleed the shit out of it to make sure all of the air is out. The clutch has nothing to do with that, that’s the case ANY time the clutch line is removed

You are the only one that has suggested this. DKM and everyone else have never said that. It's not the tranny grinding gears, it's the clutch engaging, it sounds like the disks are getting pushed against a grinder for a second.

I don't disagree that there could be air in the system, I am going to do it.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Can you make a video of it? If I downshift hard with no rev match being lazy or whatever it’ll kind of bark/whine, but never a grind. The only part in that system that’ll make a grinding noise is the synchros.

mk717

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 A3 Quattro
Looks like DKM changed the pressure plate up a bit. Logo is blue. All other pics i've seen the logo is white. Can't wait to get this bad boy installed.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk