GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil Change Tool

MCoulombe

Hey guys,

A little background, I'm a design engineer for an aftermarket suspension company. After doing a couple of oil changes, and never having the correct tools to do so, I came up with an oil change wrench. Super simple, one end is for the filter housing, the other for the oil drain plug. Just seeing if there is any interest for these, probably would end up being around $10/ piece depending on the quotes I get back. Hopefully the attached picture shows up, I'm a noob so apologies in advance!

Attachments

• oil change tool.JPG
    oil change tool.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 1,030

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Cool... would it be laser cut, water jet cut, or...?

I would imagine casting is out of the question for a small production run, but this has real potential. You could really market this broadly to the VW community. You could start a crowdfunding campaign.

MCoulombe

It would be laser cut, I have a different revision that was nicer. However, the end for the drain plug has to be that thickness, so it would have to be aluminum and machined which would make it a $40-50 wrench. At that price I don't think anyone would justify spending the money on it.

avs

Passed Driver's Ed
It’s a good idea but you’re targeting certain group of people who still drain their oil from the oil pan. I use an oil extractor to extract oil rather than taking out the drain plug. Nice and clean. No mess.

Also, using a socket with extension to remove the oil filter housing is easier since it gives you more space to turn the ratchet than a box wrench.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
I think this is a great idea, however, what makes a person buy/need this if I have a flat blade screwdriver and a socket already? I think that, along with the proliferation of oil extractors (so no need for plug removal) may be a problem for you sales wise. I also want to torque my filter housing to spec, which I do with a torque wrench.

Good luck though, it's a good thought and maybe some people will want them.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
eh, kind of a good idea but I already had about two dozen various standard screwdrivers laying around for the oil pan "bolt" - and I prefer a socket for the oil filter housing. Many others are going to prefer a socket for the filter housing too, as they'll want to use a torque wrench to tighten it back down.

MCoulombe

Thanks for the feedback guys. I have yet to find a screw driver that fits the oil drain plug without galling it up, must not have quite the assortment you guys have! I kind of figured most would have the necessary tools already, but I like having one tool for the job.

Gibberoni

Ready to race!
Got an STL for it? I can 3d print out of ABS or PETG.

MCoulombe

I think I went about it all wrong, Rev2 will have a bottle opener designed in. Who doesn't want a bottle opener that you can also change your oil with?! haha

Gibberoni,

Thanks for the offer, we have a 3D printer out work that I printed it out with already.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Thanks for the feedback guys. I have yet to find a screw driver that fits the oil drain plug without galling it up, must not have quite the assortment you guys have! I kind of figured most would have the necessary tools already, but I like having one tool for the job.

The drain plug is not meant to be reused.

Gibberoni

Ready to race!
I think I went about it all wrong, Rev2 will have a bottle opener designed in. Who doesn't want a bottle opener that you can also change your oil with?! haha

Gibberoni,

Thanks for the offer, we have a 3D printer out work that I printed it out with already.

I was being selfish and wanted to just print one for me, not the masses, haha.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
Nice idea. However, I think the legs of the wrench are a bit short, and combined with a plastic housing for the filter feel that slip would be a big concern. Talk about bunging something up. Maybe consider closing the wrench and having all six sides available to grip the nut. I'd get one even though I extract.