GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R vs. Infiniti G37 Sport Sedan

gudxors

Passed Driver's Ed
well I come from JDM and Muscle cars and this is my first hatch and Golf R. I had 12 G37s sedan for about 5 years and it was a tough choice to trade that in to get a Golf R personally. However I really think I made a right decision! Before I got Golf R I did some researches and there was a guy who traded in his 2013 golf R for G37 (its not, G37s but,,oh well) and thought I would share his honest opinion/review. I tend to agree with lots of things with him so here is roninsoldier83's review.

From VW Golf R to 2013 Infiniti G37x...(roninsoldier83 from myg37.com)
I just recently traded my MK6 VW Golf R in on my current G37x...Here's the back story on how that happened... I got an amazing deal on a house a few months back, one that I couldn't pass up. Unfortunately, it resulted in my commute more than tripling. My son is also in a good school (in my old neighborhood) that has resulted in significantly more time spent commuting in light-to-light traffic taking him to school. Overall, I've been getting a little burnt out on driving a manual for a daily driver while commuting so many miles, dealing with traffic. So, I decided to look into getting a family friendly automatic that could serve as my new daily driver. The final plan was to also get another weekend play-toy/project car, likely another Miata, to help sate my "hooligan at heart" desires as well as to get back into SCCA & HPDE track day weekends.

I had a few requirements:

-Automatic (obviously)
-4 doors are a must (wife + 2 kids)
-AWD is a must (I live on the west side of Denver, literally 10 minutes from the mountains; we get a bit of snow here )
-Must be relatively sporty. I can't stand the thought of driving an SUV (no offense to SUV owners, it's just not my thing).
-While fuel economy would be nice, I value power/acceleration over fuel economy.
-I'm a big fan of options like leather, heated seats, Xenons, Bluetooth & SiriusXM, ect.
-Under $35k

So, I set out to see what was out there.... I looked at the 3-series and A4 first.

I drove the A4.... when it comes to interior and exterior design and aesthetics, it easily topped my list. Then I drove it... honestly, my absolute biggest complaint was the overly-light, numb electric power steering. Yes, I know my Golf R has electric power steering, but IMO VW did a much better job weighting it. I couldn't hardly get past it- I disliked it that much. The motor was adequate, with lots of low-end torque, but it seemed to struggle a bit on the freeway. With options I wanted, it would have been well over the $35k cap I set, but with a bit of negotiating, I could have probably gotten somewhere around that $35k mark.

Drove the 328xi.... I liked it. Had plenty of grunt, good chassis balance, ect. Steering was a bit more numb than previous E90 cars, but still better than the A4 IMO... then came the price... with the simple options I was looking for, we were pushing the $45k mark. Not a bad car at all, but there's no way I could justify $45k for a turbo 4-cylinder. I don't care about current marketing/engine trends, it's just too rich for my blood. I likely would have stretched slightly past my pre-set budget to get it, but not $10k past my budget. It's a good car, but not a whole lot of "value" in it IMO. YMMV.

Which led me to the 3-series rival for many years, the Infiniti G37x. Since Infiniti launched the new Q50, they announced they were going to continue making the G37 and chop $4800 off of the price. This got me interested. With every option I was looking for, the AWD G37x priced out to be right around the $38k mark. I drove it... much more weighted steering (hydraulic) with more feedback vs the A4 & 328xi. 3.7L V6 making 328hp. Although, to be honest, at this elevation (5200 ft) the turbo'd 328xi felt peppier, but the G definitely pulled harder on the freeway vs the A4. Longer warranty, higher reliability ratings, ect were a plus. So, I talked to a couple local dealers and one of them was willing to let a brand new 2013 G37x with Premium package (moonroof, Bose sound, rear sonar, ect) go for a whopping $33.2k. So, under my projected budget.

At that price, the choice was clear.... and I now have a new G37x parked in my garage and have been driving it for a few days now.

I'm over 30 years old and admittedly have have had far too many cars for my years (although several of them were owned concurrently). In my vehicle tradings over the years, I have never had a case of "buyer's remorse".... until now. Although, I would aptly rename the condition "seller's remorse". Don't get me wrong, the G37x is a great car and a phenomenal value.... but it's no Golf R.

Where to start? Well, the engine bay is a good place to start I suppose... The G37's motor has plenty of grunt to it and continues to pull hard to redline. However, I actually preferred the R's mid-range torque. At sea level this might not have been the case, but at this elevation the R's boosted advantage was very nice. They accelerate at a very similar pace, but I really did like the R's powerband, as it didn't need to be wound out as much in order to pickup the pace. There is something to say about an NA motor, and normally that's what I prefer, but the R's mid-range was just nice for playing sporty car driver. In daily traffic, the G's V6 is MORE than adequate and has much better throttle response. In traffic: G37. On the freeway: Tie. Back roads: Golf R. Again, I'm at 5200 ft elevation, where boosted cars have a big advantage over NA cars. YMMV.

Handling... They're actually about a wash for steering weight, with the G37 having a bit of an edge for feedback. Obviously the G has a MUCH longer wheelbase, so it has high speed stability in spades. However, for a short wheelbase car, the R did very well IMO. Far better than it's exterior dimensions would suggest... I would give the G the nod for stability, but only slightly.

Changing directions is another matter entirely.... the R is about ~500 lbs lighter and you can really feel it. VW really had a perfect balance of comfort and sport IMO. The R changed directions so easily and without drama. I can't say enough about how much I truly miss the way the R handled.... Not too labored, not too darty; in a word: Perfect. The G does well for a big, heavy sedan; much better than it should for a 3800 lbs car, but it wouldn't hold a candle to the R. It feels like it is very stable for higher speed sweepers, but it does not transition quickly when compared to the R. Not a whole lot of body roll for the G, but it just isn't as eager to play around in tight bends; which is to be expected.

Braking.... Both actually have pretty good feedback all around and are fairly easy to modulate. I want to say that the R's pedal was tuned a bit better, offering better initial bite, but honestly, I might have just been used to it to a greater degree. Only time will tell. I never experienced fade in the R, but then again, I never really tracked it either... if I was a betting man, I would put money down on the R resisting fade to a greater degree, but I'm just speculating at this point, based on the R's massive calipers (bigger than the G's) and lower curb weight. The Sport package Akebono's would likely help in this department, but they're not available on the AWD 37x.

Interior.... Neither of them is "cheap" and neither of them feels cheap either. However, the G feels dated when compared to the R. I would almost go as far as to say the R has an overall better fit and finish, if only slightly. The tech in the R is more intuitive and has superior functionality IMO. All of the controls on the R seem to be more well thought-out and better placed. I know it's a "lowly VW" vs a "luxury brand", but the G is an older chassis and it's age is starting to show. Don't get me wrong, the G is a nice place to be inside, but I think the R really had a much nicer interior than it's price-tag would suggest. One sad thing I feel inclined to point out: the R's "base" stereo system actually sounds worlds better than the G's "premium" Bose system. A bit disappointing to be honest.

Seats..... R. Hands down. No contest. The R's seats were possibly the best sport seats of any [factory/stock] seats I've ever had. Perfect balance of bolstering, support and comfort. I miss them dearly. The G's seats? "Meh". They're alright... the leather fit and finish on them is nice, but they're not nearly as sporty as the R's seats. To address this, Infiniti's Sport Package seats might have helped, but unfortunately, there were no Sport Package G37x sedans left in the state when I bought mine.

Interior comfort... I prefer the seating position in the R. The G has more leg room & it's nice to never have my right leg pushing against the center console, but there's a trade-off: I had to adjust the driver's seat repeatedly in order for my hair not to touch the roof in the G. Legroom: G37. Headroom: Golf R. Although, this likely would not have been an issue if the G37 didn't have a moonroof. For reference, I'm not all that big of a guy, but am around 6'2" 212 lbs.

Back seat.... Golf R actually seems to have more headroom and leg-room... even though it's a significantly shorter car. Not a big deal since the kids are so young, but for adults, I think the R would have been the better car. The swooping roof-line on the G37 is no bueno for tall drivers.

Storage/trunk space.... you guessed it, Golf R. Granted, if you're taking the wife & kids to the store, the G has more trunk space with the R's seats up. However, while the G has a bigger trunk, the R's trunk is more accessible and easier to place and remove things from. With the seats down (which the G won't do), the R becomes a monster of storage space for such a small car... I picked up a new lawnmower from Home Depot in the R a few months ago without issue....

Fuel economy... Golf R again. Not by much, they're both piss poor as far as modern day cars go, but shifting myself I was able to average ~26mpg or so with the R in my commute to work, which seems to be more than I'll be getting out of the G.

mk7rip

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
mk7
Feel bad for someone willing to trade a mk6/7 R for a G37, especially a $30k+ one.

NCR-R

Ready to race!
I actually find my R very good on fuel... and it's wayyy better on fuel than my coworker's G37x and we both do about the same commute for work.

DSG R??

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
I actually find my R very good on fuel... and it's wayyy better on fuel than my coworker's G37x and we both do about the same commute for work.

DSG R??

Seriously, he could have made a DSG R fit his budget. Oh well. We have a G37 (RWD auto) and GTI in our driveway and the only time I'll take the G37 for a drive is when my GTI is on jack stands.

gudxors

Passed Driver's Ed
G37 is a decent car.. especially the Sport model with a viscous limited slip differential. Also,, RWDs can do pretty awesome donuts.. I love my Golf R though..

mk7rip

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
mk7
i also went with 6 speed manual.. just can't beat the engagement you get with the manual...

So you stated your requirements were an auto AWD 4 door car that's fast with decent fuel economy, so you decided on a $30k+ manual RWD car on an ancient platform that runs high 13s with little room for improvement? yikes

takemorepills

Ready to race!
I am turning in my leased 2016 GTI SE DSG. I purchased a 2014 Q60 (G37 coupe) AWD lease return to replace my GTI.

I haven't driven my GTI in several weeks. I have to remember to start it so it stays charged. While I really, truly enjoyed my GTI, the DSG failed at 20k miles, replaced under warranty and has sat in my driveway ever since.

I actually chose the "outdated" Q60 because I am ready to get back to old-school Japanese reliability.

Leasing my GTI was enjoyable and I would do it again. Well, an R next time. But I wanted a "keeper" car for 10+ years. Here's where I am at with my Q60 vs GTI:

GTI was in shop 6 times, mostly little things but it had a DSG and sunroof assembly replaced. My 2007 Titan has only needed a few little things, so I anticipate the Q60 to fall in line with my usual experience of Japanese reliability.

The GTI is light and dynamic with great low-mid range torque, and can feel (and is) quite quick. The Q60 is much quicker overall than my GTI (obviously, off the line the Q60 absolutely destroys the FWD GTI), per car mag tests, the Q60 is nearly as quick as a Golf R. Fine for me. The Q60 AWD is SIGNIFICANTLY heavier than a Mk7. But, I really like the way it goes down the road. The Q60 AWD is surprisingly neutral as far as handling goes. It "feels" much better than my GTI when tackling turns. I know it posts lower skidpad numbers (my Q60 is on 225 width tires F/R, same as GTI but weigh 900 pounds more), but like my Prelude, it just "feels" better. Seems to rotate under my ass, whereas my GTI pushes the front end, even though it is one of the best driving FWD cars. The Q60 AWD is a RWD based car that doesn't suffer from typical (like Subaru) AWD understeer. Braking seems the same to me.

The Fender in my GTI is very good, as is the Bose in my Q60. The Bose has less "loudness" added, so it can actually make more bass as the volume gets above 50%, whereas the GTI's little spare tire sub is maxed out at 50% and is tapered to prevent distortion. The Q60 has 2 6x9s in the rear with some side panel mids/highs, 10" woofers, separate mids and tweets in the doors and a center channel speaker. With rap music the bass is very strong, and music quality is somewhat better than Fender. I don't really mind listening to either car, TBH. I do really enjoy my MIB2 in the GTI, but I have found that BT audio streaming is sufficient for me as I was starting to use BT more often in my GTI as I became lazy about connecting the USB for Android Auto. Although Google maps is super good, the stock Nissan/Infiniti Nav is great for me. I am aware that Google will be more up to date, but for the most part the built-in navigation definitely has its strong points too, like being self-contained.

As far as lighting goes, the GTI has LP. I really like the LP. I do, however, worry about long-term reliability of the LP lights. My Q60 used to be available with AFS, but Infiniti deleted it a few years before my model. I prefer the simpler HID lights, they are serviceable (I want to keep the car a long time) I was also able to install OEM style LED fogs on my Q60, so light output is at least as good as my LP GTI.

Comfort/Convenience is where the Q60 is obviously better. The Intelligent Keys can be programmed to each driver, the steering wheel and cluster, seat and side mirrors move automatically depending on which of the 2 key fobs is used, so the car changes for me or my wife before we even open the door. Also, the car has Homelink, which wasn't available (officially) when I leased my GTI. It is available now, I know. Heated seats, dual zone climate is similar to Mk7s too.

Cargo room in GTI is far superior to the Q60.

Road noise is about the same between the cars.

Fuel economy is superior in the GTI, but my Q60 still gets nearly 2x the MPGs as my truck, and I am not trying to care about fuel costs.

Styling...eh, well, neither car is a stunner. The GTI is super conservative (which I like) and the Infiniti is typical Nissan-awkward. But, being a coupe makes up for it. The interior is far nicer IMO, even though being considered "outdated". The freaking lid for the cupholders is padded! Every surface is soft touch and the metal trim is real aluminum. It is way more premium than any Mk7, despite being "outdated". The AT shifter feels super solid, the leather is soft and the steering wheel looks nicer (IMO). But, primarily, to my mind a coupe just ages better than other body styles. I considered a G37 or Q50 sedan for a second, but they already feel outdated to me. I see old G35 coupes and still think they are sweet. Heck, a Z32 or V6 S12 still seems fresh to me. I also think a GTI/R will age very well too.

In the end, there was 2 other significant reasons I bought the Q60: AWD and value. Living in the eternally wet PNW, the GTI was forever spinning the front tires. Even if I tried to "pedal" it. The Q60 (G37) is a supreme value. They are extremely affordable, reliable and good performing. The R is a better platform to modify. But honestly, there is NOT another affordable, reliable Japanese RWD/AWD car that is available both as a sedan or coupe. The Lexus IS or RC are much more $$, and the RC is so new it can't compete with the value of an older G37 that was released 5 years earlier. Honda doesn't even make this kind of vehicle.

I love my GTI, but the reliability is a concern for me. I don't think the GTI is "unreliable" per se, but in the long term it could possibly be more expensive to upkeep than a Japanese car. I personally grew up on Japanese cars, and the GTI was my first German car. I'd do it again, but I feel more "at home" with an over-weight, high quality Japanese sports coupe. I won't try to race any modded Golf R or new Mustang GTs with it, I know its place in the car world. It is basically a Grand Touring car.

Last edited:

takemorepills

Ready to race!
Forgot to add, the way the 2 cars deliver power is totally different.

GTI: lots of low-mid torque, can easily and quietly swoop around slow traffic without fuss. With the right throttle amount, "DSG farts" sound great. Motor looses steam around 5k RPMs and redline is kind of low.

Q60: The VQ37HR starts making power when the VW 2.0T has plateaued, it has a 7.5K redline and the 7AT will shift right at 7.5K every time, and it pulls linearly until 7.5K. The coupe exhaust sounds awesome and is surprisingly loud at every rev. Maybe I should say another reason I bought the coupe was the exhaust sound, the sedans are very quiet compared to a coupe.

mk7rip

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
mk7
On the other hand, I've owned 3 mk7 GTIs and beat the piss out of all of them without issue, including my current car making over 400 whp. Most of your argument is subjective, although picking a car is usually based on taste so I can't fault you there. You're still comparing a car that was $40k new to a car who's starting MSRP is in the mid $20k range. If you want to compare apples to apples you can put the g37/q60 up against the similarly priced(but still cheaper) golf R which IMO is a hell of a lot more car for the price.

takemorepills

Ready to race!
On the other hand, I've owned 3 mk7 GTIs and beat the piss out of all of them without issue, including my current car making over 400 whp. Most of your argument is subjective, although picking a car is usually based on taste so I can't fault you there. You're still comparing a car that was $40k new to a car who's starting MSRP is in the mid $20k range. If you want to compare apples to apples you can put the g37/q60 up against the similarly priced(but still cheaper) golf R which IMO is a hell of a lot more car for the price.

Who's arguing?

I thought we are just making observations here.

I had set aside the money to buy my GTI after the 3 year lease, but the DSG failing compelled me back to a Japanese car.

Honestly, if I could (well, if the wife would approve) we'd have BOTH cars. The G/Q is apples to GTI oranges. Both are great cars, and I cross-shopped them as used. I literally used the GTI as my basis for its replacement.

The DSG failing on my GTI killed me getting an R. I was already thinking about an R, take my GTI money and get an R. Since the DSG developed issues in the middle of nowhere on a road trip with my wife and kid in the car, the wife is adamant no more VW. Also, my dealer, who has been great, wanted a $4k ADM on a GolfR.

mk7rip

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
mk7
You're applying a negative connotation to my use of the word argument, which is not how I intended it. You can argue a point and still have a civil conversation. I understand your feelings towards the car since you had it fail on you, but you have to understand that every car will have its issues. From what I've seen though the VQs are pretty tough unless you get a DE

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
Whoever writes the longest and most boring post gets extra credit points... lol.