GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: How to make a custom front license plate mount

mman824

So...didn't realize this was a dead thread. But it's still a good technique so here's the update and pics I promised:
No issues with any parking sensors, no issues with any of the Driver Assistance Package features (lane keeping, radar-controlled cruise). Works perfectly, I've done probably 800 miles of highway driving and I couldn't be happier.

Pictures are without the plate or front piece attached yet, you can see that because the grill slats are deeper I had to start the install process with them already attached. Plate sits maybe 1/4 inch in front of the bumper, I tilted it back a bit and added a strip of the soft foam rubber weatherstripping like the OP described. And yes, I know my car was filthy, lots of long road trips and no time to wash!

Attachments

• IMG_8985.JPG
    IMG_8985.JPG
    190.4 KB · Views: 795
  • IMG_8984.JPG
    IMG_8984.JPG
    304.2 KB · Views: 808

Summons

Thank you for reviveing this thread - I had missed it somehow...

I saw it this morning and while I used slightly different hardware, the idea was the same!

This took me about 2 hours including the run to the store for parts!

Thank you!!!

The reason I am so excited is that for the last 6 months I have been going nuts with parking alerts from the sensors every time I'd shift into reverse - o had to disable the auto feature on the parking assistance...

All features reactivated and test OK!
Eric

Attachments

• IMG_20180606_133412.jpg
    IMG_20180606_133412.jpg
    328.7 KB · Views: 766
Last edited:

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
I did this to my Golf R and my truck!