GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit the front brake air guides from the Audi RS3 (2017->)

Ross Pilky

I stumbled across these a couple months back when I had my Mk7 GTD.
Now I've got a Leon Cupra 280 and I've ordered these (from AKS tuning if anybody wondered). I'm presuming similar fitting to the Golf as most stuff is on the MQB platform but I will provide feedback on how I get on.

Apologies for being a SEAT owner now. If it helps I do miss my GTD so much!

Awesome write up by OP and look forward to getting them fitted

fragchild

Put mine on my R today:

They popped right on - all of the little tabs locked right onto where they should - no trimming was needed.

Thanks for posting this!

What part number did you order? I used the part number in the first post and they do not fit my 2016 R as is. I'll definitely have to trim the tabs.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
What part number did you order? I used the part number in the first post and they do not fit my 2016 R as is. I'll definitely have to trim the tabs.

Look at my reply to him in post #20 above...VW altered the shape of the wishbone slightly....:mad:

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST
@golfdave, check this out:

https://www.drive2.com/l/509309455100281914/

A Seat Leon driver made heat signature images after having installed ducts:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
Not to completely derail the thread here but for those of you interested a local member installed Porsche GT3 brake ducts and they are apparently cheaper(from Porsche) than the RS3 ones and the ducts are larger.

Porsche Part Numbers
997-341-484-92
997-341-483-92

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Not to completely derail the thread here but for those of you interested a local member installed Porsche GT3 brake ducts and they are apparently cheaper(from Porsche) than the RS3 ones and the ducts are larger.

Trouble with that is you are cutting more off them to get it to fit & not foul the brake callipers when the wheel turns in..

Also having used the TT ducts originally & now these RS3 ones there is a huge difference in aero drag...with the TT ones which hang below the wishbone more than the RS3 one the culprit...& those Porsche ones hang quite abit below the wishbone...

I had seen those one being used years ago before I did the original write up on the TT ones....although a good idea & valid..& good to remind people...& still think the new RS3 ones as per this thread are the best compromise between effective cooling & not causing excess aero drag...:cool:

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
Trouble with that is you are cutting more off them to get it to fit & not foul the brake callipers when the wheel turns in..

Also having used the TT ducts originally & now these RS3 ones there is a huge difference in aero drag...with the TT ones which hang below the wishbone more than the RS3 one the culprit...& those Porsche ones hang quite abit below the wishbone...

I had seen those one being used years ago before I did the original write up on the TT ones....although a good idea & valid..& good to remind people...& still think the new RS3 ones as per this thread are the best compromise between effective cooling & not causing excess aero drag...:cool:

Hmm a few good points that I didn't consider.

DAS_STIG

Banned
Also remember that the RS3 ones are made for our platform even if not our exact vehicle, so I imagine there is at least some optimization in air flow that went into their design. Some of us don't have to do any cutting so it's also a nice easy install.

Also, how much were those Porsche guides? The RS3 ones cost me $40 from e-acca.

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
Also remember that the RS3 ones are made for our platform even if not our exact vehicle, so I imagine there is at least some optimization in air flow that went into their design. Some of us don't have to do any cutting so it's also a nice easy install.

Also, how much were those Porsche guides? The RS3 ones cost me $40 from e-acca.
The member here got them for $5CDN each at the local Porsche dealer.

Last edited:

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
The member here got them for $5CDN each at the local Porsche dealer.

That has to be the cheapest part from a Porsche ever, no question. I have a tough time believing that, especially something so niche off a niche model.

I ordered a pair of the RS3s from e-acca today, I'll post how my install on PP/R 340mm brakes go.

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
That has to be the cheapest part from a Porsche ever, no question. I have a tough time believing that, especially something so niche off a niche model.

I ordered a pair of the RS3s from e-acca today, I'll post how my install on PP/R 340mm brakes go.
I can't confirm what he said was true but that what he said. Seems pretty cheap to me too.

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
Wow... are they made from cardboard? Nice price but still like ease of rs3. No cutting for me and quick zip tie install.
I just re read his post on Facebook and the GT3 ducts definetly need modification and trimming in a couple spots for proper fitment. I would also probably just get the RS3 ones if I were in the market for brake ducting.