GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Music on SD card. Problems. Media keeps resetting.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
I seriously doubt that album art is the root of any problems here. 100% of my tracks have album art that displays properly, all either 500x500 or 600x600 files.

An earlier post mentions a Class 3 card. Can't find details, but is that slower than a Class 10 card?
This is the card I'm using currently...

http://a.co/4ymAEND

Dave H

A quick update.
Today car went in for its first service. Have had it 1 year now.
They updated the Media Software from 0753 to 0757 (which is the latest available since DEC 2017 in the UK).
I have loaded the SD card with about 180 Albums, all with embedded artwork in the MP3 files. Lets see how that goes. This always failed (reset to 1st Track on 1st Album) with 2 or 3 days previously. Will provide another update soon.
Dave H

mwaites

A quick update.
Today car went in for its first service. Have had it 1 year now.
They updated the Media Software from 0753 to 0757 (which is the latest available since DEC 2017 in the UK).
I have loaded the SD card with about 180 Albums, all with embedded artwork in the MP3 files. Lets see how that goes. This always failed (reset to 1st Track on 1st Album) with 2 or 3 days previously. Will provide another update soon.
Dave H

And????

KHouldey

Just as a heads up I had my first service yesterday and managed to get VW to update my system to 0757 also. I had to practically argue with them to get it done as they denied the fact the update existed. I persisted, they checked again, and magically they had an update available :D

So far so good, with no issues as of yet. I'll give it a few days and feed back to you guys!

KHouldey

No luck. It was fine after the service but then decided to do the old reset routine on me today after shopping.

No idea what to do to fix this now. The dream is over :(

Dave H

hi all
OK after 2 weeks, this is the result:

24/Mar
VW upgraded Software on Media from 0753 to 0757
ok so far

25/Mar
Put in SD card with all Embedded Album covers.
183 approx Albums in total.
Ok

26/Mar
Not ok. When first started car in morning. Went back to 1st Album 1st track.
Selection Button Greyed out.
Next 3 times when started car that day, was ok.

8/Apr
Has now been ok for nearly 2 weeks now. Car been used virtually every day in that period. No problem since 26/Mar.
So since that initial 1 glitch, seems ok now.

For sure version 0757 is much better than version 0753, as previously it would never go more than 3 days without a reset, when I had many album covers. Now been ok for 13 days. Maybe VW didn't completely fix the problem with 0753, but for sure its a big improvement. Will post another update in about 1 month.

thanks, Dave

MDLBC

Ready to race!
For sure version 0757 is much better than version 0753, as previously it would never go more than 3 days without a reset, when I had many album covers. Now been ok for 13 days. Maybe VW didn't completely fix the problem with 0753, but for sure its a big improvement.

Hi Dave - Does it appear that anything else was affected, good or bad, by the update to 757? I an on 0755, and while I am experiencing the same issues as you, I am wondering if it is worth the hassle of going to the dealership and badgering them for 757. My bumper to bumper is almost over but I use Amazon music enough that I don’t rely on the SD card 100%. More than anything, I just like the artwork that displays when using SD.

KHouldey

Just a quick update. Since that one incident where the SD card reset itself it's been perfectly fine and fully operational...but now I'm swapping to a Fiesta ST so I guess it's a bit late haha!

Happy listening, guys and girls! Get the update :)

MDLBC

Ready to race!
As an update to my media slot issues, dealership said 755 was the latest software despite what Dave H was able to get (757). My bumper to bumper is just about up but at least it is documented and can hope for a goodwill update down the road. If not, at least that appears to be my only remaining issue with the MIB.

MDLBC

Ready to race!
About two months ago I took it to the dealer (in California) and was told such a version didn’t exist despite knowing that it does. So glad I haven’t given them a dime in maintenance. [emoji35]

hurtmypony

Passed Driver's Ed
I have this same issue with the SD card resetting to the first song when I turn the car on.

It happened in my 2017 VW GTI Sport.
It happens in my 2018 VW GTI SE.

It seems to happen more frequently as more songs are added/more space is used on the various SD cards I try.

At its worst, it manifests as frequently as every third time I start the car.

During a Google search, someone on some Tiguan forum [I think] suggested it might be the exFAT formatting causing the "reboot", as switching to FAT32 formatting fixed the issue for him.

I am currently using a Samsung 64GB (U3) MicroSDXC EVO Select.

Since there is no option in Windows 10 to format media larger than 32GB as FAT32, I had to use a separate third-party tool - EaseUS. It has a free option.

About two weeks ago, I formatted the Samsung card above as FAT32, filled about half of it with my music and popped it into the car's reader.

So far, it has not reset to the first song even once.

I hope this fixed it permanently for me, and I hope it helps somebody else!

Hotfart

Ready to race!
During a Google search, someone on some Tiguan forum [I think] suggested it might be the exFAT formatting causing the "reboot", as switching to FAT32 formatting fixed the issue for him.

I gave this a shot, and unfortunately a couple days later it reset again. It's still too early to say if the resets are more, less, or equally frequent vs exFAT. Appreciate the suggestion though!

mwaites

Hack for CD cover bug

My GTI occasionally has the issue where the head unit decides that it can only see one CD - for me it is AC/DC - Back in Black. That the alphabetically first artist that I have out of my 500+ CD's.

I have noticed that if i hit the "previous track" button 30 or 40 times, the unit will move backwards to a CD at the "end of the list" (zz top, etc). After moving to 2nd or 3rd CD from the end of the list, after 2 or 3 minutes, the unit will often recover itself and show all of the CD covers.

Odd, but easier than ejecting the SD card every time!