GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Swapping to red LED 'audi' interior buttons?

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Always loved how the audis seem to come with red leds for all of their interior buttons (hvac, radio, door controls etc) and was curious if anyone could find the part #s for our cars and an audi car (s6 for example) to see if maybe a swap is easy enough? Even some mk6 rs seem to have some red even.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
like this, most audis and a lot of vw's are this way factory.

edit: DEFINITELY want the S6/S7 (pictured) start engine button! :D

Audi-S6_Avant-2013-1600-31.jpg

LachlanGordon

Ready to race!
To get the actual button would be a waste of time. I tried doing the conversion once to red (saw it in a polo. a fkin polo. good one vw) but it's not the actual button rather the led behind it. The size of led's used is rare and extremely small. It may be possible for the light switch as it's easy to access, but MIB system would be next to impossible.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
^ to clarify, i want the button in the picture because of the red aonodized ring around it haha. i have a red anodized shift knob and hvac controls which would match perfect.

Yes, LED swapping would be necessary. Its not fun, I know. Mostly looking to see if there are specific bulbs i could use or small generic ones.

Ive done this before, here is my old cobalt, red stuff on the left in progress, the OEM super dull yellow/green lighting to the right.

Can't complain about the VW's clean lighting as is, but I love red lighting!

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
the biggest hurdle besides soldering will be breaking clips and introducing rattles. The clips on this car are all SO F*CKING EASY to break. And rattles are prone to start themselves, so if i did do this i would likely be backing all panels going back on the car with anti rattle tape and stuff.