GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

$2500 to get an insurance on my GTI?????

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
22 years old and I effectively pay $166 a month.
Chubb Insurance.
California.
Full coverage.
immaculate driving record.

I don't begrudge it in the slightest, seeing as to how I've had to get three (!!!!) repairs done through insurance (fortunately none of them being my fault). seeing as how the hit on my driver side door alone wound up being more than what I paid for my whole year, I'm fairly happy paying up each month.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
39, single, $135/mo. A large percentage of that is Michigan's no-fault insurance law.

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
Car(s)
981 Cayman & GTI SE
All these prices don’t mean squat. So many freaking variables go into insurance prices. Everyone here spouting numbers is meaningless and like comparing apples to oranges. Shop around and see if you can find the best rate given your parameters (deductibles, etc) see if you qualify for discounts. Student, profession, multi car, bundled discounts with home or renters, etc.

Good luck OP but overall the gti is on the pricey side to insure. You can thank all the kids crashing them. It’s still not as bad as a Subaru sti though so be grateful.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Good luck OP but overall the gti is on the pricey side to insure. You can thank all the kids crashing them. It’s still not as bad as a Subaru sti though so be grateful.

Truth, I got a few quotes for a WRX and STI when I was shopping around for one. The numbers were obscene. Instantly had me looking at other cars.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
10% of my 15 years or so. Not a massive loss.

I had the opportunity to go to Iraq for 6 months but my wife wasn't happy about the idea. And I was in my 50's then and didn't relish living in a tent. Or working 16-hour days. Or getting the necessary shots. They would have issued me a sidearm, which was better than nothing, but I couldn't let it out of my sight, and the armory was on the opposite site of the base. Must have been a pain when you showered. :)

Last edited:

armedferret

Ready to race!
I had the opportunity to go to Iraq for 6 months but my wife wasn't happy about the idea. And I was in my 50's then and didn't relish living in a tent. Or working 16-hour days. Or getting the necessary shots. They would have issued me a sidearm, which was better than nothing, but I couldn't let it out of my sight, and the armory was on the opposite site of the base. Must have been a pain when you showered. :)

There's these things called "locks" that go on your hooch door....

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Depends on a lot of factors - your age, your address, your education, your driving history / duration, your income, etc etc. Your friend with similar age but different street address might get a totally different quote. Even one difference in any of these factors will drastically affect the price.

I shop around every 6 months as the prices tend to go up during every renewal. I started with geico, aaa and now i am with progressive.

I know people who had to change their decisions because of insane insurance prices for that particular vehicle model.

Last edited:

AKF427

Ready to race!
10% of my 15 years or so. Not a massive loss.

That's a jackpot.

33% for my 6 years. Misfortune of never crossing paths w/ a CO who didn't instantly possess total disdain for me.

Thankfully pre 9/11. Regretfully Ft. Wainwright for 8 months

I DD214 O2 1LT. Crap I've gotten old...that was 20 yrs ago this past May.

USAA for my GTI, wife's Q7, & our home. My Father In-law was a Captain Squid for 30 yrs. I've got less than 0 engagement in household finances---I simply give her pieces of paper w/ #'s on them each month & she allows me to stay. I gotta ask her....my recall is that our USAA membership is tied to her dad & not me...a direct descendant is eligible if I'm recalling correctly. In my favor I'm exceedingly proficient in returning home & watching TV!

On a serious note, I did have a USAA issue...my date recall isn't ideal. I use to drive a commuter s*** bucket CPO'd Hyundai Accent (actually it was very reliable & w/ XM livable). I think it was end-of July '13 or '14 & hottest day of Summer. A lady sandwiched me & I literally pinged an old BMW SUV in front...lady who hit me was 100% at fault, but for what? No damage, yet we exchanged info & we all drove off. I called USAA that evening & never heard anything. Lady in the BMW SUV actually made a claim that post adjuster came to like $675. I found out in Dec via Commonwealth of MA mailing that USAA was holding me "at fault". Obviously I contested. The hearing was in January & it was nutty...10 mins in, the valuation of the damages was first broached & the mediator glazed over, then the Insurance claim guy shuffled 1,000 pieces of paper (I was not the sole person contesting an accident or claim that day, it was in a Gym w/ rows of people). It was then immediately dismissed in my favor....the cost of a claim had to be greater than $1K as of July 1 for an Insurance provider to find anybody in the Commonwealth "at fault". I recall this because I have nothing but positive sentiments towards USAA....yet they proved themselves to be scamy/shady....how many MA Commonwealth USAA members who opted not to contest & the value was sub $1,000 (it had previously been $500) & had accidents/incidents after July 1st were subjected to higher premiums due to being found "at fault" when the the threshold had risen to a minimum of $1,000??? USAA did reimburse the cost of my $50 filing fee, the cost of the stamp, and the cost of the parking lot...but the parking ($7.00??) was a true sore point to them because I didn't keep receipt---I ultimately told them to have an adjuster visit the lot & confirm the 2 hour fee...and they actually had an adjuster do that! I'm rambling & tired...but always fight insurance, period.

Last edited:

2SlowNoMo

Ready to race!
reminds me of when I was 16 and wanted to insure a slightly used GTI in 1986. The insurance quote was $3500 for the year. opted for a very used scirocco instead, lol.
Good luck with the insurance hunt. I hope you are able to get the GTI. It's a fantastic car.

VentoGT

Ready to race!
Definitely up the deductible to $1,000 if you can it usually makes a big difference. Face it, if in an insurance-worthy accident the repairs are going to vastly exceed the $1K. GEICO was way cheaper than State Farm for me [I'm 37, married and had an Audi S8, Merc GLK350, Toyota Land Cruiser for $1,600 per year--my GSW cut that down by $200]

Being a young, unmarried male is the most expensive insurance out there unfortunately. As a previous poster said, you pay for other people's mistakes.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
All these prices don’t mean squat. So many freaking variables go into insurance prices. Everyone here spouting numbers is meaningless and like comparing apples to oranges. Shop around and see if you can find the best rate given your parameters (deductibles, etc) see if you qualify for discounts. Student, profession, multi car, bundled discounts with home or renters, etc.

I think my GTI is cheaper to insure than some of my previous, less expensive, less powered vehicles.

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
When i was VW shopping i got quotes for the GTI and the R, for me the R was significantly cheaper to insure. I think lots of claims with the GTI makes the price high, also its a popular car. Same reason the civic is so damn expensive to insure. It's a very common young/little experience car that gets lots of claims against it.