GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY MIB1 to MIB2 Infotainment Conversion (Part 1)

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I've read a lot of forum posts, but it seems that USB harness replacement is only needed for cars that had MDI rather than USB. Also as stated in my post, 2 MIB2 would have USB working properly (showing as source of media and working with android auto) BEFORE removal of component protection and adaptation. So it's really not the usb port...

If App Connect is okay with your good MIB II do you need Media in? I don't know if there is a separate FEC for it but I'm pretty sure when you start at connect it says your device cannot be used as a Media source at the same time.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Hmmm, As I'm submitting that post it occurs to me that maybe you are connecting another USB device for media that isn't a phone, in which case I could see it being a problem.

The biggest problem I have, which might be due to having an older less efficient phone (OnePlus One), is that my phone is using battery faster than it charges with app-connect running. I thought I would be able to get rid of my 12 volt charger but if I get in the car with a low battery I have to use it and listen to audio through Bluetooth until it charges. I lose 2 to 3% battery in my 30 minute commute. Plugged into the charger but with navigation running, screen on, I would gain 10% battery in that same time, although the phone would be burning hot if I didn't have it mounted right in front of the A/C vent.

Back on topic: outside of your phone what do you use as a Media source?

Last edited:

ameel

If App Connect is okay with your good MIB II do you need Media in? I don't know if there is a separate FEC for it but I'm pretty sure when you start at connect it says your device cannot be used as a Media source at the same time.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Hmmm, As I'm submitting that post it occurs to me that maybe you are connecting another USB device for media that isn't a phone, in which case I could see it being a problem.

The biggest problem I have, which might be due to having an older less efficient phone (OnePlus One), is that my phone is using battery faster than it charges with app-connect running. I thought I would be able to get rid of my 12 volt charger but if I get in the car with a low battery I have to use it and listen to audio through Bluetooth until it charges. I lose 2 to 3% battery in my 30 minute commute. Plugged into the charger but with navigation running, screen on, I would gain 10% battery in that same time, although the phone would be burning hot if I didn't have it mounted right in front of the A/C vent.

Back on topic: outside of your phone what do you use as a Media source?

USB as a media source and app connect works on MIB2 BEFORE component protection was removed.

my worry is that because app connect uses usb and usb isnt working after component protection is removed, then app connect wont work either.

i tried an ipod, and a usb stick. they all work on MIB1 and were working on MIB2 before removing CP. USB used to be an option for media source. there is no longer any option for USB as media source.

As i previously said, i think it may be because MIB2 needs FEC 00030000 for USB, but MIB1 doesnt. Does app connect activation code also activate FEC 00030000, or is there another activation code i can buy to get FEC 0003000?

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
USB as a media source and app connect works on MIB2 BEFORE component protection was removed.

my worry is that because app connect uses usb and usb isnt working after component protection is removed, then app connect wont work either.

i tried an ipod, and a usb stick. they all work on MIB1 and were working on MIB2 before removing CP. USB used to be an option for media source. there is no longer any option for USB as media source.

As i previously said, i think it may be because MIB2 needs FEC 00030000 for USB, but MIB1 doesnt. Does app connect activation code also activate FEC 00030000, or is there another activation code i can buy to get FEC 0003000?

Hmm maybe check byte 19 on 5f?

aditud

Passed Driver's Ed
I've read a lot of forum posts, but it seems that USB harness replacement is only needed for cars that had MDI rather than USB. Also as stated in my post, 2 MIB2 would have USB working properly (showing as source of media and working with android auto) BEFORE removal of component protection and adaptation. So it's really not the usb port...

Pretty sure paul_elstak replaced usb connector with a new one. He didn't have MDI. In Europe, his MIB1 came with USB/Aux, like yours. But he replaced the connector with a new one when he retrofitted MIB2.

But, anyway, you seem to be convinced you have a different issue. Have no idea what it could be.

Last edited:

ameel

Pretty sure paul_elstak replaced usb connector with a new one. He didn't have MDI. In Europe, his MIB1 came with USB/Aux, like yours. But he replaced the connector with a new one when he retrofitted MIB2.

But, anyway, you seem to be convinced you have a different issue. Have no idea what it could be.

yeah, I noticed that too about paul_elstak, which is weird. I read posts by other people who did not replace the port because they already had USB. The part paul_elstak bought is the 5Q0035726E, which is the same one in the photo that he removed (which doesn't make sense to me, unless he took photos of the new 5Q0035726E and was just showing how to remove it...?)

On the broken MIB2, when it goes into emergency update (blue screen), it detects my phone connected to the USB phone, and says something along the lines of no valid updates/files, and this message changes if I unplug the phone (something along the lines of requiring update media to be connected). If I plug in the phone again by USB, the message changes back to no valid updates/files. Again, this shows the USB port is not faulty.

As I said in earlier post, before removal of CP on 2 different MIB2, the USB port worked fine as a source of media. Android Auto also worked when I connected my phone to the USB port. The option to select USB as a source of media disappears (doesn't show in the menu) after removal of CP and adaptation.

I don't care for using USB as a source of media input. I just want to be able to sue App connect. However, given the price tag on the license, I'm hesitant to risk getting an activation key if it's not going to work because the system will not allow USB.

I guess the question I have is:
After retrofitting an MIB2 and removing CP, but NOT activating App connect, can anyone access USB as a media source, or is that completely gone?
Therefore, would activating App connect just work properly?

edit:
At https://www.drive2.com/l/495994094410007252/, pvc1 also replaced the USB port and said "Forgot to say about changing the USB . The old socket with the bug did not work, so another one was purchased under the number 5Q0035726E". Not sure what bug he's referring to.

Last edited:

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
yeah, I noticed that too about paul_elstak, which is weird. I read posts by other people who did not replace the port because they already had USB. The part paul_elstak bought is the 5Q0035726E, which is the same one in the photo that he removed (which doesn't make sense to me, unless he took photos of the new 5Q0035726E and was just showing how to remove it...?)
edit:
At https://www.drive2.com/l/495994094410007252/, pvc1 also replaced the USB port and said "Forgot to say about changing the USB . The old socket with the bug did not work, so another one was purchased under the number 5Q0035726E". Not sure what bug he's referring to.

Iirc correctly, he had replaced part of the usb connector itself. Possibly part of the harness also? I think he did have to replace the actual USB port or at least a connector within there

Edit: just did a quick look and Paul did replace the usb connector. Looks like he disassembled the old one and put in new parts. His parts list says “required for app connect” for the new connector

ameel

Iirc correctly, he had replaced part of the usb connector itself. Possibly part of the harness also? I think he did have to replace the actual USB port or at least a connector within there

Edit: just did a quick look and Paul did replace the usb connector. Looks like he disassembled the old one and put in new parts. His parts list says “required for app connect” for the new connector

yeah. i saw that. Thank you. I've gone ahead and ordered a connector. I already got myself a harness before. Let's hope this works...

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion

On the broken MIB2, when it goes into emergency update (blue screen), it detects my phone connected to the USB phone, and says something along the lines of no valid updates/files, and this message changes if I unplug the phone (something along the lines of requiring update media to be connected). If I plug in the phone again by USB, the message changes back to no valid updates/files. Again, this shows the USB port is not faulty.

As I said in earlier post, before removal of CP on 2 different MIB2, the USB port worked fine as a source of media. Android Auto also worked when I connected my phone to the USB port. The option to select USB as a source of media disappears (doesn't show in the menu) after removal of CP and adaptation.

I don't care for using USB as a source of media input. I just want to be able to sue App connect. However, given the price tag on the license, I'm hesitant to risk getting an activation key if it's not going to work because the system will not allow USB.

I guess the question I have is:
After retrofitting an MIB2 and removing CP, but NOT activating App connect, can anyone access USB as a media source, or is that completely gone?
Therefore, would activating App connect just work properly?

edit:
when i replaced my mib2, before removing CP, my USB functioned perfectly, even allowed for carplay connection. The only thing it didn't do was send sound to speakers while displaying the "component protection activated" on the display.

aditud

Passed Driver's Ed
when i replaced my mib2, before removing CP, my USB functioned perfectly, even allowed for carplay connection. The only thing it didn't do was send sound to speakers while displaying the "component protection activated" on the display.

I think we're talking apples and oranges. His car came with MIB1 and USB/Aux from factory. It may be that the USB connector that came with MIB1 isn't working with the MIB2 HU, or at least not after CP is removed.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
I think we're talking apples and oranges. His car came with MIB1 and USB/Aux from factory. It may be that the USB connector that came with MIB1 isn't working with the MIB2 HU, or at least not after CP is removed.

Agreed. My apologies, for the specific quote i missed that detail and I misunderstood.
Yeah, there's a change of the mib1 setup to the mib2 setup usb-in ( i think an additional cable or something as i recall).

ameel

Yes, my car has factory MIB1 with USB/Aux. USB stops working only after removal of CP. The usb was working on 2 different MIB2 before removal of CP.

Just to explain sequence of events that I tested before:
1. Connect first MIB2 with CP. USB as media source works, android auto works
2. Remove CP on first MIB2. No more option for USB as media source, of course android auto requires activation key for app/car connect
3. Connect second MIB2 with CP. USB as media source works, android auto works
4. At this point, I highly suspected that removing CP will mess up USB again. So I decided to test the first MIB2 again.
5. USB first MIB2 without CP. Option for USB as media source still missing
6. Connect second MIB2 with CP. USB as media source works, android auto works
7. Remove CP on second MIB2. No more option for USB as media source, of course android auto requires activation key for app/car connect
8. At this point USB as media source no longer works on any MIB2
9. Connect MIB1. USB as media source works (before and after CP removal).
10. Connect either of the 2 MIB2. Option for USB as media source still missing

Again based on the above series of tests, this makes me really skeptical that the USB connector requires replacement...

I suspect its a FEC issue, which maybe activation of car/app connect might fix. I'm asking whether anyone had a similar experience, or just totally did not notice and simply activated app/car connect.

I've bought a new connector, but it won't be here for another 2 weeks or so

Last edited:

ameel

Got the new USB connected and harness. Swapped everything and tested. Exactly the same as before. Phone thinks it's connected to a device and wants to share files. Car has no 'USB' source.

tylerf0606

Ready to race!
Got the new USB connected and harness. Swapped everything and tested. Exactly the same as before. Phone thinks it's connected to a device and wants to share files. Car has no 'USB' source.

Try a different phone? Try multiple USB/Lightning cables?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
Gonna tackle the swap again soon and see if we can do it successfully. Anybody have any idea why the fender amp wouldn't show up in ODIS or Vagcom? Thinking it's setting whichever byte it was on 5f to 2 for fender. But would bad 5f coding cause it to not show up completely? CP has been removed from the 5f module. My guy said when the sound was set to fender, volume control didn't work which might indicate that the amp is working and just needs CP removal but that's something we still need to test. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Really hoping that the amp I bought isn't bad because it wasn't cheap