GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R Rocks at Lime Rock

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
A few laps with my R at Lime Rock thus continuing my love affair with the R. First time at the Rock with rear sway and camber plates. Took almost 1.5 seconds off my prior fast time (1:05.42) and the tires (PS4S) still have life. I'm a happy guy. With very few mods and not a ton of $$, this car is now a joy to drive on track.

Short video here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/o39kaxsal4u19w4/AADQZEMvkVlVhZnEBbzD4DOZa?dl=0

Slight mist most of the day but mostly dry track. I screwed up my registration and signed up for Int. 1 in error (still no clue how that happened). They were too full in Advanced to move up at the track, which is why I was able to easily pass the Porsche Turbo S.

BronxBomber

Ready to race!
Nice video. Nice driving.

BronxBomber

Ready to race!
A few laps with my R at Lime Rock thus continuing my love affair with the R. First time at the Rock with rear sway and camber plates. Took almost 1.5 seconds off my prior fast time (1:05.42) and the tires (PS4S) still have life. I'm a happy guy. With very few mods and not a ton of $$, this car is now a joy to drive on track.

Short video here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/o39kaxsal4u19w4/AADQZEMvkVlVhZnEBbzD4DOZa?dl=0

Slight mist most of the day but mostly dry track. I screwed up my registration and signed up for Int. 1 in error (still no clue how that happened). They were too full in Advanced to move up at the track, which is why I was able to easily pass the Porsche Turbo S.

Thanks! Too bad our Bombers didn't fare as well yesterday. :(
Well they got the “bombing” part right. Ugh!:mad:

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
That driver took their sweet time giving you a point-by too. They must be new to the intermediate group.

Not new to intermediate...just "mirrorless" I'm sure you've encountered the same. I was stuck behind him in the prior session for 3 laps as well and had to pit in to get room. He probably thought that because he could always pull away in the straight he was "faster".

I never ever did this before, but I was so frustrated that I started flashing my lights at him to catch his attention. That plus a waiving "faster vehicle behind" flag did the trick.

Other than that it was a fun day. Being in the wrong run group caused very few clean laps and a ton of passes, but the rest of the field was really good with their mirrors, so it was never frustrating.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
I never ever did this before, but I was so frustrated that I started flashing my lights at him to catch his attention. That plus a waiving "faster vehicle behind" flag did the trick.

I've had to do the same on a couple of occasions, and in both cases that action came after the lead car was shown the passing flag a couple of times.

Swoope

Ready to race!
very nice.

what are you running for tire pressures hot?

beers

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
very nice.

what are you running for tire pressures hot?

beers

Good and timely question...

From day one with the "R" I ran 40-41 hot which depending on weather would be 30-34 "cold". At Lime Rock I was talking to a very experienced racer/instructor (ran NASCAR road circuits and other very high end drives). He said I should try 45 hot and see how I liked it, saying the PS4S's may feel better. Well, I loved it.

I checked with a pyrometer after my second session and the heat was dead flat across the tire.

Outside temps were nice and cool, so not sure how the rubber will handle really hot days at those pressures, but for now I'm going to go with that and see if it continues to work well for me.

Last edited:

Swoope

Ready to race!
Good and timely question...

From day one with the "R" I ran 40-41 hot which depending on weather would be 30-34 "cold". At Lime Rock I was talking to a very experienced racer/instructor (ran NASCAR road circuits and other very high end drives). He said I should try 45 hot and see how I liked it, saying the PS4S's may feel better. Well, I loved it.

I checked with a pyrometer after my second session and the heat was dead flat across the tire.

Outside temps were nice and cool, so not sure how the rubber will handle really hot days at those pressures, but for now I'm going to go with that and see if it continues to work well for me.

very interesting, curious to follow your results.

i am doing sebring club/short course on sat. stock except for rsb intercooler and falken azenis that may have two days left in them.

beers

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
very interesting, curious to follow your results.

i am doing sebring club/short course on sat. stock except for rsb intercooler and falken azenis that may have two days left in them.

beers

How do you like the Falkens? My nephew uses them on his BMW (also track/street) and really likes them. My current set of PS4S's will take me through this season, but I want to go a step up in sticky next season. The Falkens are one of my finalists, and the price is fair as well.

Do you think there is much grip and feel difference from PSS or PS4S? Pros/cons so far?