GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Remove 3rd brake light Golf R hatchback

TheSwede

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf7 Alltrack/Cupra
I need to replace my 3rd high brake light on my R. Two sections are gone (no light in them). GTI + R have a plastic spoiler on top of the rear door. Does anyone know how to remove the rear spoiler? I don’t want to scratch it or destroy anything as fasteners and so on. I suspect its glued in combination with screws.

/Peter

PS same as GTI hatch spoiler.

lucyfek

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI & GSW
Isn't it LED based and thus covered by warranty (bulbs do burn out - wear and tear, LEDs - modules break, warranty issue)?

TheSwede

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf7 Alltrack/Cupra
Is there anyone who have done a replacement of GTI/R brake light and removal of spoiler? (Yes it's a "bump"...)

An alternative is to buy a brake light sticker with the letters Golf R (or something like that) which hides the failing LED section. Think it's just one.
However it’s not the same brake light as “ordinary” Golf. Not the same sticker.

/Peter

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP

TheSwede

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf7 Alltrack/Cupra

Aphex13

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks, maybe I will take the risk and remove it some day when we have warmer temp, also in my Garage :D.

/Peter

Bringing this back from the dead, because I googled it to death and found almost nothing.

To remove the whole spoiler, you have to take the black window fins off of the sides of the back glass. They are glued to the spoiler and the glass. Then remove the top part of the interior trim on the hatch. There will be two 10mm nuts, one on each side (you can see them through two cutouts), and one in the middle under a round black plug. After you remove the three nuts, and the fins, just pull up on the whole spoiler to snap it out of place. There will be a wire connection to the third brake light, and a hose to the window washer. Be careful not to break either one.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Another reason to buy the estate...it just pings out as is....no need to remove the spoiler as there is none...

I jest...

But its a real PITA just to fix another so called "life of car" item..which considering the number made in the world..there will be a few thousand seriously pissed off people having to fix one that has failed...