GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Lowering Fuel Tank- Aux. Heater Metering Pump Install

Derf

Ready to race!
How did you connect the hoses? As you thought?

I don’t know how to help with initializing the heater in VCDS, but I sure would like to know what you find out.

davide.bonetti

Ready to race!
yes I have connected the hoses that way. it all seems ok, I just cannot initialize the damn thing :)

I hope the OP can chime in and give some insight.

davide.bonetti

Ready to race!
it appears I just had not enough fuel in the tank.

after refuelling I was able to complete the basic settings "for production" and the heater is now working fine.

it smells a lot, probably because it's just new.

I am very satisfied, it has been a challenge sometimes but at the end of the game I was able to do almost everything by myself.

also, had I known before, or maybe I was just lucky, I could have connected the coolant hoses by myself. very little liquid has spilled, and the circuit kinds of self-bleeds by itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davide.bonetti

Ready to race!

this is a picture of the heater on the desk, before installing.

this is a picture of the heater installed in its place.

Derf

Ready to race!
Can you share the options screen in the car? I’d like to know if you can program a timer start.

davide.bonetti

Ready to race!
I am leaving on holiday for one week, cannot take a picture.

however yes, up to three timed events can be programmed.

davide.bonetti

Ready to race!
I have been using the Webasto just to warm up the car, say 20 minutes before departure. it's awesome, it's one of those option I am so gonna get used to, will be compulsory in any car I will buy after the Golf.

as I said, up to 3 timed events can be programmed under the climate screen. basically you choose heating or ventilation, and set the target temperature in the Climatronic when leaving the car. based on the outside/inside temperature, the heater will decide when to start. so I choose heating for 7.40 in the morning, and ventilation for 16.15 in the afternoon (the car stays under the sun all day).

the remote just starts the machine, heating or ventilation must be decided earlier. then it runs for a set amount of time.

apparently when it's really cold outside, the engine can decide to use the heater even if not programmed. we'll see, it's not winter yet.

everytime the heater starts I still gets one or two faults logged, and I am currently investigating but nothing appears to be wrong.

one fault says FUEL TRANSFER PUMP NOT ACTIVATED, and it relates to the main fuel pump for the engine. I don't understand, as the heater has it's own dedicated pump. this fault will come up everytime the heater starts, no matter what.

another fault says NO FLAME DETECTED, I believe the fuel line is not the right size and the fuel delivery is below what the heater needs. this fault comes up most of the times but not always.

overall I am beyond satisfied, and happy that I did 95% of the retrofit by myself.

davide.bonetti

Ready to race!
one thing I forgot: when the thing is running, it's not properly silent.

I wonder if I should put a warning sign somewhere on the car. say I have it parked at the mall, somebody walking by could definitely think something's going on lol.

Derf

Ready to race!
I have a complete Webasto kit minus the VW specific bracket / harness (though it does have webasto’s universal bracket and wiring loom).

Sounds like I need a climatronic system, but my GTI is a base S model without dual zone climatronic. I think I’m going to sell it. If anyone is interested let me know.

davide.bonetti

Ready to race!
so I was able to sort out the faults.

the NO FLAME DETECTED actually fixed itself, there might have been some air into the fuel line.

for the TRANSFER PUMP error a bit in the engine ECU needed to change, but since the bit is not documented in VCDS, I couldn't know. I was helped for this.

Derf

Ready to race!
so I was able to sort out the faults.

the NO FLAME DETECTED actually fixed itself, there might have been some air into the fuel line.

for the TRANSFER PUMP error a bit in the engine ECU needed to change, but since the bit is not documented in VCDS, I couldn't know. I was helped for this.

Care to share the VCDS change?