GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR tune gains comparison

MysticGTI

Folks - I'm not quite understanding the difference in gains between an APR stage 1 and stage 2. For example, if we look at stage 1 and stage 2 91 octane (pic below), the difference of max torque is 25 ft lbs. But also 71 ft lbs.according to the right most column.

What am I missing?

Thanks!

https://imgur.com/a/aQvSehT

edit: ARR instead of APT; image doesn't seem to be working (or I don't know how to make it work)

Last edited:

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
It's a typo, or it really doesn't make any sense, as you see all flavors of the stage II on that chart have the same figure. I would stick to the dyno graphs and choose the wheel horsepower/torque figures for each one as comparison, as the crank figures are estimations based on the wheel measurements.

Last edited:

MysticGTI

Just spent 10 mins on APR's site looking at charts/graphs and still can't seem to make any solid conclusions on the gains. There seems to be contradicting evidence in the data they provide. Or, at the very least, its not very clear. They provide like 4 different numbers for the same thing...

In the end, I'm just trying to better understand what the bottom line gains are for each upgrade (stock -> St1 -> St2), including the IS38 turbo. From what I can tell (based on the data in the chart), there really aren't significant gains upgrading beyond the stage 1 tune. It's a much smaller value proposition for the money. Someone correct me, please. :)

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
91 octane
WHEEL TORQUE/HP
LO 314/259
S1 356/281
S2 383/295

93 octane
WHEEL TORQUE/HP
LO 315/262
S1 367/291
S2 391/309

MysticGTI

91 octane
WHEEL TORQUE/HP
LO 314/259
S1 356/281
S2 383/295

93 octane
WHEEL TORQUE/HP
LO 315/262
S1 367/291
S2 391/309

Thanks - Those are the numbers I ended up with as well. But in the text, APR describes things a bit differently:

"APR Stage II ECU Upgrade

The APR Stage II ECU Upgrade is the next step towards making more power! This upgrade requires a FWD Race DP or AWD Race DP, and produces 320-341 HP with 396-412 FT-LBS of torque. Gains as high as 95-110 HP and 176 FT-LBS of torque are available throughout the power band."

Dyno chart has 383 tq /295 hp for Stage 2, but the paragraph above paints a different picture.

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
It's talking about gain over stock. Not a gain over stage one.
By the way Apr tunes are wildly inconsistent. Since they are a one size fits all regional differences play a major role in how well they perform. You could have an Apr s2 car dyno an unimpressive 280 whp on one car in Kentucky, then watch another dyno 330+ with bolt ons in northern Indiana. Ic is also a must for Apr tunes imo. They are without a doubt the most aggressive ots out there. Timing is not that great either and can vary wildly as well.

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI
It's talking about gain over stock. Not a gain over stage one.
By the way Apr tunes are wildly inconsistent. Since they are a one size fits all regional differences play a major role in how well they perform. You could have an Apr s2 car dyno an unimpressive 280 whp on one car in Kentucky, then watch another dyno 330+ with bolt ons in northern Indiana. Ic is also a must for Apr tunes imo. They are without a doubt the most aggressive ots out there. Timing is not that great either and can vary wildly as well.

As a "one size fits all" tune, the variations in results would be caused by vehicle and environmental differences, not the tune.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
Makes zero sense how the Low torque tune gains +81 torque, when the stock level is measured at 270. If you switch the graphs to amount gained - it shows the max gained at 1500 rpm or before as way above the peak after 3K. Go by the max figures taken at the wheel (as the crank is estimated) as listed above .

MysticGTI

So, while we're at it, has anyone put together a chart similar to what APR provides summarizing other types of mods?

It would be cool to have a infographic laying this all out.

Alpha61

Passed Driver's Ed

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI
Makes zero sense how the Low torque tune gains +81 torque, when the stock level is measured at 270. If you switch the graphs to amount gained - it shows the max gained at 1500 rpm or before as way above the peak after 3K. Go by the max figures taken at the wheel (as the crank is estimated) as listed above .

The maximum difference is in the mid rpm range, the stock TQ curve has dropped to around 250 where the largest delta occurs. Makes sense to me, it's a gain over stock curve with the max value being at the same engine speed for each tune where the difference is greatest.