GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bought a used '17 GTI Sport DSG - Just found out it has APR stage 1!

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
Try and left foot brake while on the gas.

If it cuts throttle input you are stock, if not APR.

This is the best advice I have seen for sure to tell if the tune is still on the ECU.

Ghawkins

Ready to race!
Try and left foot brake while on the gas.

If it cuts throttle input you are stock, if not APR.

Yes. This is the best and safest way to determine if it is tuned. APR Stage One removes the throttle block while braking. All mfrs. started this several years ago to limit “unintended acceleration” accidents.

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
Yeah i'd also check under the hood and see if the rest of the parts are stock or aftermarket (intake, downpipe, etc).

The other tell for a TCU tune is it says D1/D2/D3/etc and S1/S2/S3 if you have stock TCU it'll just say D or S.

first, find out if it is actually tuned or not.
second, when the ecu is flashed it records the time and date, so if it was flashed before you bought it then there is no way YOU could have flashed it so it would be up to the dealer you bought it from to honour any powertrain issues because they sold it to you that way.
I would make sure you have it in writing that they sold it to you with the balance and factory warranty and that it has not been voided for whatever reason.

Won't matter after the fact, TD1 is TD1. Unless he goes back to the dealer now and demands a different car or to return it (which i would do if he isn't planning on tuning).

Same thing happened when an Audi dealer sold a car with a tune, the guy had proof from APR on the exact date it was tuned and the dealer/Audi wouldn't do anything. And that car was CPO haha.

MysticGTI

Thanks all for your thoughts on this. I'm fine with the tune. It's not TCU'd yet, so I'll likely get that done. Before I found out about this previously being flashed, I was considering the different tune options. Was strongly considering the jb4 piggy back for warranty reasons. Now, the decision has been made for me. Taking it back to the dealer and going through that hooplahoo isn't that desirable to me (the dealer is ~1000 miles away). The car seems to be in good shape and driving well. I'll just have to assume the risk of the voided warranty. I mean...what could possibly go wrong?!

work2fly

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks all for your thoughts on this. I'm fine with the tune. It's not TCU'd yet, so I'll likely get that done. Before I found out about this previously being flashed, I was considering the different tune options. Was strongly considering the jb4 piggy back for warranty reasons. Now, the decision has been made for me. Taking it back to the dealer and going through that hooplahoo isn't that desirable to me (the dealer is ~1000 miles away). The car seems to be in good shape and driving well. I'll just have to assume the risk of the voided warranty. I mean...what could possibly go wrong?!

You could prematurely blow the turbo...absent a warranty, I think you'd have no alternative but to replace it with an IS38 :)