GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Looking for sway bar advice, F&R vs. just R

reverend_sean

Go Kart Champion
I just picked up a set of F&R Hotchikis and am unsure if I want to install the front. It seems like the general consensus is to run just a rear to help us with rotation in turns. I am curious if anyone out there has experience driving their car with both set ups; upgraded F&R vs. just the upgraded rear.

DAS_STIG

Banned
I just picked up a set of F&R Hotchikis and am unsure if I want to install the front. It seems like the general consensus is to run just a rear to help us with rotation in turns. I am curious if anyone out there has experience driving their car with both set ups; upgraded F&R vs. just the upgraded rear.

General consensus is - rear will make it feel more balanced, but properly setup F & R will make you faster. That being said, the front is a pain to install so as many other mods - it's all up to you and what your goals are. If you want better lap times, do both. If you're just looking for a bit more fun, rear is plenty.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Given the ability to add both I'd change both. It'll help control the front camber as well as you will reduce the front roll.

ucfquattroguy

Go Kart Newbie
Both are a good idea only if the roll stiffness shift is toward the rear relative to the OE bars. The last thing you'd want to do is introduce additional understeer.

Example:
Front 50% stiffer/Rear 30% stiffer = skip the front.
Front 50% stiffer/Rear 100% stiffer = do them both.

DAS_STIG

Banned
Both are a good idea only if the roll stiffness shift is toward the rear relative to the OE bars. The last thing you'd want to do is introduce additional understeer.

Example:
Front 50% stiffer/Rear 30% stiffer = skip the front.
Front 50% stiffer/Rear 100% stiffer = do them both.

Not fully true. Yes, this will reduce the overall understeering feel of the car, but by your example if you do a 100% front/100% rear stiffness increase you are making a drastic improvement in the overall cornering capabilities of the vehicle even if it doesn't "feel" as balanced.

GeoS VW

Passed Driver's Ed
This is taken from the 034 site talking about the sway bars...

"... In addition, the 034Motorsport MQB Rear Sway Bar is engineered to be used effectively with the stock front sway bar. No upgrade in the front is required. The addition of a stiffer front bar can positively affect turn-in feel, but ultimately worsens the platform's tendency to understeer. With the stock front sway bar and upgraded 034Motorsport Solid Rear Sway Bar, body roll is virtually eliminated while turn in and off throttle oversteer are greatly improved."

I suspect the general idea would apply to different sway bars taking into account their stiffness.

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
I suggest you do the rear first, drive it hard for a few days/weeks and then decide for yourself if you would like or need the fronts. I installed Neuspeed rear only and love the car the way it is. Turn in and rotation are right about where I want it both on street and track. Very happy without adding any aftermarket front sway.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Rear only. The cost, labour for the negligible handling difference an upgraded front sway bar makes on our cars just doesn't make it worth it imo.

As mentioned. Do the rear and drive it for a while. Take some hard turns and you'll see a huge difference.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
I've only tried the back.

I think it all depends on what you're looking for, how you use the car, how much tire grip you're working with, LSD yes no, other mods.

In my case (DD/AX), I'm trying to tune the front with springs and bump stops, and $$$ in front alignment. Small uprade in rear bar thickness (22mm) plus better rear shocks and bump springs. Car rotates lots and no problem spinning it at AX. Feels pretty planted on the street, with a civilized ride.