GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Brembo Brakes questions/advice - 2016 GTD

ejs4

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello,

I am considering upgrading my stock brakes to some higher quality Brembo brakes in order to get some more bite and better stopping distance.

Could someone tell me exactly what I need to install the new brakes myself, and where the cheapest place to get brembo discs and red callipers?

Are braided brake lines a noticeable improvement?

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
Unless you are going to track your car or are a sucker for BBKs, don't bother. A BBK upgrade is not needed for road driving. If you are having issues with brake fade, try different pads.

If you must upgrade to a BBK, I would not recommend Brembos because of the difficulty in ssourcing replacement parts. Also, I have issues with the brake lines on my 330mm kit rubbing 17" wheels when the steering wheel is turned near full lock. There doesn't seem to be any way to install the brake line to fix the problem.

Instead, I'd suggest StopTech. Parts are readily available, at least in the USA.

Jayzeable

Passed Driver's Ed
Brembo on a GTD is overkill and extremely expensive. I don't even think they have a fitment.

The GTD is the same brake setup as the GTI (none PP)... they’ll be available.

...don’t underestimate the OP’s need to upgrade. We don’t know his driving style, or if he intends to track the car...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Hello,

I am considering upgrading my stock brakes to some higher quality Brembo brakes in order to get some more bite and better stopping distance.

Could someone tell me exactly what I need to install the new brakes myself, and where the cheapest place to get brembo discs and red callipers?

Are braided brake lines a noticeable improvement?

Is your goal to specifically put a set of Brembo brakes on or is your goal to get more bite (more aggressive brake pad) and better stopping distance (limited by your tire choice).

Any Brembo kit for GTI should work and they just bolt into place and come with all parts necessary except pads normally. Cheapest would be to buy a refurbished set rather than a bona fide new Brembo kit. Either way you will have a much stronger braking system and with a good pad a lot of potential for better stopping distances. Just keep in mind your brakes will need more aggressive tires to really reduce stopping distances.

Braided lines would come with any Brembo kit.

Golf R brake calipers / rotors are also a choice that can provide greatly improved braking and they are often sold used for very affordable prices. With the right pads they will put you through the windshield. I used them on my GTI for 4 years, street and occasional track use. I have moved to Brembos but loved the Golf R calipers.

My favorite street pad was the Endless MXRS, they are just a cut above anything I tried. My favorite affordable street pad was Hawk HPS 5.0. For track I switch pads and use much more aggressive pads for high temp use.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I think a stock R was tested by Motorweek and stopped from 60 in 90 feet. I imagine bigger brakes would cause the ABS to kick in because now you're outperforming the tires. That will give you longer stopping distances.

newcarsmell

Go Kart Champion
I paid about $1020 for my brand new Stoptech St-41 kit from BMP Tuning. Good alternative to Brendon that costs a lot less. Comes with everything you need for install except tools and brake fluid.

Storm19999

Passed Driver's Ed
Ask the question

Ask the question have the people commenting actually upgrade there brakes or
Just giving and opinion? Gtd brakes are poor at best. They bite massively when applied then nothing and if you apply pressure you run out of brakes on first application.
1, I know I’ve got a gtd 2016 mk7 ish ;-)
2, I push it on country lanes late at night.
3, done track days
4, been round Nurinburg in the gtd.
So upgraded brakes aren’t over kill they needed them from factory.
I’ve got p zero tyres as tried budget and traction was poor along with handling
Mine is mapped to 225bhp 500lb torque. Dsg.
I’m running rs 370mm 34mm wife wavy discs all round golf R rear calipers
Audi rs 8 pot front calipers. With no effect to the abs like previous speculation yes if I want to I can brake and nearly rip off the suspension I have plenty of grip when tyres warm up. I can use auto hold much easier to creap forward ect
It was a worth while upgrade amongst others I have done.

QUOTE=ejs4;671912]Hello,

Are braided brake lines a noticeable improvement?[/QUOTE]

James_Black

Sorry to revive this old thread.. on a similar note, how easy/difficult is it to put the whole Golf R brakes (front and rear) onto a Golf tdi? Do you need the whole calipers or just the carriers? How easy is the electronic brake to remove/replace?

Anyone got any pics of this (relatively easy) mod?

Thanks.