GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stage 1+ Unitronic ECU tune boost question

s4in7

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello all!

I've a 2017 GTI S with DSG with about 5k on it (bought it CPO with 2k a little while ago).

I've since performed an oil change, removed the snow guard, installed an AFE Dry filter, and just recently flashed Uni's Stg 1+ ECU tune.

Had a quick question about the boost levels I'm seeing. I know the infotainment boost gauge takes atmospheric pressure into account and I'm about 1400ft above sea level so that's about 14-14.5psi.

The max boost I'm seeing on a rolling 10-100mph onramp sprint is 34.5psi, meaning my actual peak boost is 20-20.5psi.

Is this normal levels for this tune? I know Uni doesn't crank the boost like others, but I can't find much info about boost levels and their tunes. Everything else about the car is perfect, plenty of power (can't hardly keep the tires from spinning in gears 1-3).

I just wanted to check with y'all and make sure I don't have a boost leak or a bad diverter or something.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

s4in7

Passed Driver's Ed
Sounds about right.

Very cool. Can you tell I'm a complete n00b about this stuff?

I've been driving trucks for 16 years and traded in my '13 EcoBoost F150 for this GTI so I'm definitely playing catch-up. I love it though. My F150 was tuned and almost FBO so it was damn quick for a 6000lb hunk of metal, but this GTI with just a tune and minor intake mods demolishes it.

Thanks for the response!

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Very cool. Can you tell I'm a complete n00b about this stuff?

I've been driving trucks for 16 years and traded in my '13 EcoBoost F150 for this GTI so I'm definitely playing catch-up. I love it though. My F150 was tuned and almost FBO so it was damn quick for a 6000lb hunk of metal, but this GTI with just a tune and minor intake mods demolishes it.

Thanks for the response!

Get an intercooler. Enjoy the power in the summer too.

Or think of it this way. Keep the power you paid for.

Shagustus

Passed Driver's Ed
I have Uni Stage 1+, and asked Uni the same question.

Here is the reply: "As for the boost pressure, it should boost around 19-20psi under normal conditions, however this can greatly vary as the MQB platform is torque based and if the required torque is achieved at a lower psi, it will maintain that pressure as it is achieving what is being requested."

ExWhyZed

Passed Driver's Ed
2017 GTI DSG Uni stage 1(not 1+) here. Running 91 octane with a K&N drop in filter. Boost gauge on the screen says 34.7 psi maximum. Also watched a guy's video on youtube and his mk7 is also Uni stage 1+ and I can see his max is 34.7 as well. stage 1+ make no difference on boost level than stage 1, just a different mapping to run better on 93.

FWD_Problems

Just for confirmation that this ecu will use less boost if it can to achieve the torque target. I'm Uni stage 2 93 on my 7R. at -20c i get 14-15psi. at -10c i get 18-19psi. at -5 i get 19-20psi. I'm assuming the density of the air is the reason for this. Also for note, im FBO including IC and charge piping, + im running w/m post IC. when the temps get above 0c, im sure ill be seeing boost in the 20+ range. going to dyno it again as i did when it was stock. made 268/262 to all 4, on a mustang dyno running petro94.