GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R REVO DSG remap - review

Xpower

I have finally had the DSG remap now for a few months so am am able to offer some feedback on it.
Before I begin I will say that I have been offered a no quibble refund on the remap from the REVO agent, I have elected to keep it for reason 1 on the 'good things' list.

The good things

1) Snatchy down shifting - My Golf like many other DSG cars suffered from the snatchy down change when going from 4th>3rd, and 3rd>2nd. It seems hit and miss which cars get this but feedback suggests it isn't limited to a specific brand. My car only has 24,000 miles on it, but many many people report it from new, and its nothing the dealers can seem to fix. Prior to the DSG remap I checked my gearbox TCU with ODIS and there weren't any software updates.
The REVO DSG remap has fixed this issue, down changes are now much smoother. If your car doesn't have this issue then this won't be of benefit to you.

2) Launch control - the new launch control works great by giving you multi stage launch RPM. Not something I will generally use but it works.

3) Kick down in manual mode - This is now disabled, when you are in M mode you can plant your foot to the floor and it won't kick down.

4) Full throttle, max RPM gear changes - These are more positive although now not as smooth, but that is due to quicker gear changes and higher clamping forces.

5) Slightly more reactive - In D mode the DSG will now down change very slightly earlier as you apply engine load.

6) Quicker gear changes - These are slightly quicker but very difficult to notice, they are pretty quick anyway.

The Bad things

1) They advertise the following - "in Drive and Eco mode at low RPM 2nd gear is held unless you come to a stop", this isn't true, its 2mph. So when you are rolling up to the lights and they change just before you come to a stop, the DSG will still down-shift to first gear just as you press the accelerator to go. This is a shame as I know its not much but it makes a difference.

2) Optimised shift points - If you are expecting the general feeling or Drive or Sport mode to change it doesn't (with the exception of point 5 in the good things).
Drive mode chases 6th gear as quick as it did before, meaning the engine spends most of its time out of the power band. So when you want to go........ you have to wait.
Sport mode does what it usually does, holds on to the RPM's with almost no load meaning you can't really use it in all but a few situations.
Considering this is what most people moan about, it's really disappointing that this wasn't improved in the remap. People I have spoken to agree with myself and want something in-between that can be used on a daily basis.

3) Manual mode auto down-shift - Although not advertised so we can't complain, in M mode the car will auto down-shift from 2nd > 1st at 8mph. So that means its annoying to use in traffic / local driving. They should have this so its 2mph like in D mode. If I want it to change down then I will pull the paddle, its clearly capable of this from a software point of view.

4) Bug in the software when using ACC and stop / start - I assume that this only affects cars with auto hold, but when ACC brings the car to a stop it holds the car indefinitely. After a few seconds start stop kicks in and ACC continues to hold the car. When the car in front moves away this is detected by the ACC and the engine automatically restarts ready for you to continue. To go the driver must then either touch the accelerator or press resume on the steering wheel and the car drives off with AAC still engaged. Unfortunately since the remap when you press resume on the steering wheel, Drive will not engage and the engine revs to 4000+ rpm and the car just sits there. The only way to re-engage drive it to put your foot on the brake (which disengages ACC) and then Drive will re-engage so you can drive off. A temporary cure is easy, disable stop / start as its only when it kicks in there is an issue. Fingers crossed they will fix this issue.

Hopefully I have been fair in my review, as a technician I am a picky customer and have high expectations. For me this remap could have been amazing and really transformed the way the car drives. I personally would accept a drop in fuel economy to make the car 'fun' to drive and really address point 2 on the bad things. If I wanted economy I would have brought the GTD.
Any questions then let me know :)

Car is a UK spec 2015 Golf R DSG with 24,000 miles. I have tested the DSG remap with both stock ECU software, and Stage 1 ECU software (non REVO). There was no difference to how the DSG behaved.